BAEC two-factor authentication

Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

BAEC two-factor authentication

I'm not sure if this is related to the recent security breach or not. If so, this post might better be moved to a different thread.

In order to access my BAEC account I'm being asked to validate my identity via two-step authentication (after submitting correct log-in information, a one-time unique verification code is sent via text message or e-mail, which needs to be entered to complete the log-in procedure).

The two channels for authentication appear correct (mobile number and e-mail address), but the verification code is never delivered by either channel, thus I am denied access to my account. Yes, I've checked my spam folder.

Does anyone on here have any ideas on how to get this resolved, or is anyone else in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Last edited by newyorklondon; Oct 16, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Costa Coffee
Phishing attack!
BAEC has no 2 factor authentication.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amygdala28
Phishing attack!
BAEC has no 2 factor authentication.
That was my first thought, but I'm pretty certain it isn't. Unless the website is masked cleverly, it begins: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/loginr/public

Here's a screenshot:

Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I've had exactly this recently. It turned out that my account had been locked because of "suspicious activity" or similar. I had to change my password and wait for a few days (and chase it up when nothing seemed to be happening).

I don't know why this page appears, because it never works and BA staff don't think they have 2 factor authentication.

Basically you need to phone up.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had this last week and the code just would not come though. Ended up phoning a few times, wasted a few days with useless people telling me to try latter / different PC / clear cookies etc.

Eventually got an agent that could understand the problem. To unlock the account they had to raise an audit request, and then about 24 hours latter I got an email from audit asking some security stuff and then they eventually unlocked my account.

All strange and very annoying and time wasting... The other half got the same two factor authentication, but their code came through first time via text.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by omk298
Basically you need to phone up.
Thanks, I'll do that and report back. I wonder if it's a new security feature which has not been implemented correctly.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Costa Coffee
I get a different, that is the normal log in screen on that link. No two-factor authentication for me.
???
BA IT!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amygdala28
I get a different, that is the normal log in screen on that link. No two-factor authentication for me.
???
BA IT!
Yes, that bit of the address links to the standard log-in screen. I only supplied the beginning of the address, in case the long alphanumeric code which completes it contains sensitive information.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:07 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
maybe some sort of a/b testing is happening there
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
'd prefer some proper authentication rather than the ridiculous 'select all XXX from the images' they make you do at times.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
'd prefer some proper authentication rather than the ridiculous 'select all XXX from the images' they make you do at times.
thats just to make sure you're not a bot to kill off their system.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
This is not new. I had exactly this over a year ago. Not at all clear what triggers it.

I also had a few days of faffing about before a code actually arrived.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by kaka
I get that but they are just so frustrating, them sending me a text with a code wouldn’t be so much simpler.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by kaka
I once had 24 different sets of images to go through, not just one or two.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I have had the 2-step authentication, it is not required for every login - when I was selected the SMS message was sent immediately and I was logged in in a matter of seconds. SInce this was introduced I have not been required to beat the CAPTCHA challenge - thank goodness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.