Bank of America Flying Blue USA Credit Card

Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Bank of America Flying Blue USA Credit Card

Anyone has experience with getting this card? Does it have chip+PIN, or signature only? I am disappointed that they won't waive the annual fee for Platinum and above (like Barclays does with their M&M).

3 miles per $1 spent directly on Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and SkyTeam member airlines purchases
1.5 miles per $1 spent on all other purchases
5,000 miles every year on your account anniversary after you spend $50 or more on purchases within the anniversary year
60 XP (Experience Points) upon approval
Annual fee of $89

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pla...card/index.htm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Thanks for posting this, I would otherwise have missed it. It generally is pretty interesting for someone like me who used to live in Europe, uses FB and then moved to the US (while sticking to FB instead of switching to e.g. DL SkyMiles).

I wonder if you get the 60 XP only once or once per year. I do not really see the point of it being a one-time bonus. It would certainly be nice to get it every year.

Luckily the US has a couple of other interesting travel credit cards, but it is always great to have a choice. In this ballpark of annual fee the Chase Sapphire Preferred comes to mind. The advantage of this FB BoA CC is that you collect more miles with FB directly if you purchase a lot of ST airfare.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Here are the conditions:

1st year:
Bonus Miles and XP Offer. You will qualify for 25,000 bonus miles if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of Net Purchase transactions totaling at least $1,000 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Receive 60 XP upon account opening. Limit one opening of account XP bonus per Flying Blue member. This one-time promotion is limited to customers opening a new account in response to this offer and will not apply to requests to convert existing accounts. Other advertised promotional bonus miles offers can vary from this promotion and may not be substituted. Allow 4-6 weeks from qualifying for the bonus miles and XP to post to the primary cardholder's Flying Blue account.

After 1st year:
Anniversary Bonus Miles and XP (Experience Points): If your account is open and in good standing on your annual account anniversary you will earn 5,000 anniversary miles when you have a total spend of at least $50 in Net Purchases (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) within the anniversary year with the card. Receive 20 XP every year on your account anniversary. Earn an additional 40 XP (totaling 60 XP) on the account anniversary when you have a total spend of at least $15,000 in Net Purchases within the anniversary year with the card. Earned anniversary miles and XP will be posted to the primary cardholder's Flying Blue account each year within four to six weeks of the anniversary date.

Wonder if you can apply from abroad and use it when traveling to the US.
60XP for 89$ is a good deal for the first year !

Last edited by canadavid; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:37 am Reason: additional information
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:29 pm

This is very interesting and completely missed that info, so thank you very much! Indeed 60XP is a good deal and that would maintain me to Gold for next year, so I'm definitely considering it... The anniversary 20XP are also a nice kick start to the account (I don't think I would ever spend 15k a year on that card, since it's more interesting in the US to use for instance the Amex Plat, which nets 5 points per dollar instead of just 3 with this card).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I remember when a high ranked KL official told me about this at an event. Incredibly disappointed that it's such a lackluster product and they partnered with BOA.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Klems
This is very interesting and completely missed that info, so thank you very much! Indeed 60XP is a good deal and that would maintain me to Gold for next year, so I'm definitely considering it... The anniversary 20XP are also a nice kick start to the account (I don't think I would ever spend 15k a year on that card, since it's more interesting in the US to use for instance the Amex Plat, which nets 5 points per dollar instead of just 3 with this card).
Yeah, this is just bizarre. What an incredibly poor product when an unbranded Amex can give you more FB points than the branded product. No elite status given, no premium card for people who routinely buy J, etc.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
..while at the same time this offer still beats the Dutch/French FB card by a long ways!
wuzziduzziman and HalconBCN like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: FB platinum
Only if you spend more than $15k on it, and it does not have plat for 2.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lynxy
Only if you spend more than $15k on it, and it does not have plat for 2.
Well... Annual fees aren't comparable 89$ vs over 500€ ...
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
For US-cards, not quite the best, but pretty solid for an AF/KL flyer, so I might get it at some point, as the dutch amex and this one combined get me quite a good XP-boost
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I just got the credit card approved. There's still room for it in my matrix of credit cards (those 1.5 miles / $1 spent on all other purchases is still more beneficial for me than using my AMEX Platinum card at present) and the fee is reasonable. But I'll not use to book any airfare, lol.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:58 am

Something I was thinking about is that since this card is for US residents, they should *really* do something about the XP earning for transcon flights on Delta. That would be a big deal.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I might get this card for the 1st year and cancel after the 1st year for the 60XP and the 25k miles. Other than that, not the best card out there compared to the return you get for 89$. The 15k spending is difficult for me (as I don't live in the US but do travel often to the US) and to spread my spending since my priority is to put spending on my cashback card. Should not have an issue to get this card since I am a long term BoA customer and already have a couple of cards from them. Would have been nice if they had given 40XP each year instead of 20XP.

Cheers!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: FB Gold
I applied yesterday and got approved for the card. Like others mentioned, the 60XP sign-up bonus is really nice- it pushes me into the Silver tier of Flying Blue

I'm a US ex-pat in Europe, so it has some appeal with the 1,5 pts per dollar and no FX fees. I might keep my flight spend on my Amex Gold though- same 3x bonus as this AF card but with MR points I have more flexibility on transferring miles.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: Many
So now there is a Flying Blue credit card providing XPs and it is not available in France or The Netherlands...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.