Wiki Posts
Search

UA79 To NRT - Long upgrade waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
UA79 To NRT - Long upgrade waitlist

WOW it's the first time I notice this. I'm in business already and just saw that the waitlist for upgrades is 18 long with 59/60 seats booked. I'm just very surprised.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Only 11 without counting nonrevs.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
How do you count NRs? Just curious...
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chebert999
How do you count NRs? Just curious...
If they show up on multiple lists they are NR, regular passengers can only even be on one list and can never be on standby and upgrade lists, but NR's can
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
That does seem a bit long but I've seen 5 - 9 on the upgrade waitlist for UA 803 (IAD-NRT) a number of times and that's not including non-revs.

I feel like UA has been filling up the TRANSPAC C class more and more. Also, there are certain periods of the year where paying C class is high for NRT. It might be one of those times right now.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mh3265a
That does seem a bit long but I've seen 5 - 9 on the upgrade waitlist for UA 803 (IAD-NRT) a number of times and that's not including non-revs.

I feel like UA has been filling up the TRANSPAC C class more and more. Also, there are certain periods of the year where paying C class is high for NRT. It might be one of those times right now.
Yeah, I was #13 on that flight last week and at least one rev was behind me (plus some non-revs). A bit suprrising mid-week though.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah, I was #13 on that flight last week and at least one rev was behind me (plus some non-revs). A bit suprrising mid-week though.
Fair enough! However, I find that those seats on 803/804 can often be taken up by large government delegations (either side) that buy those seats late. Didn't get my upgrade a couple of times for that reason.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If they show up on multiple lists they are NR, regular passengers can only even be on one list and can never be on standby and upgrade lists, but NR's can
While generally true, there are reasons for others to appear on both lists; such as displaced / disservice / irrops paid passengers . While this is a strong indicator of NRSA, it is not a 100% positive indicator.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
I've been flying UA78/UA79 forever now (even back over ten years ago when it was CO7/CO8). I've found it to be one of the toughest upgrade routes I've seen for whatever reason. I think there's a lot of paid business travelers. Just a guess, but whatever the reason, I've always seen it be a difficult UG.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I did not know that, thank you! I was wondering why I see same people on both lists in the app.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not uncommon to see waitlists over 20 on SFO-HKG and SFO-SIN.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

I did not know that, thank you! I was wondering why I see same people on both lists in the app.
As @WineCountryUA pointed out there are some outlying exceptions, but I would think they are very very rare.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
I've been flying UA78/UA79 forever now (even back over ten years ago when it was CO7/CO8). I've found it to be one of the toughest upgrade routes I've seen for whatever reason. I think there's a lot of paid business travelers. Just a guess, but whatever the reason, I've always seen it be a difficult UG.
I'm flying UA78 on 11/25. Your comment removed any confidence that i'll get an upgrade.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by mm_sriracha
I'm flying UA78 on 11/25. Your comment removed any confidence that i'll get an upgrade.
While we are over a month out from that, currently that flight is booked 29/60, and with it being the Thanksgiving weekend, not sure a lot of people are flying to Asia right after the holiday. I would be slightly encouraged!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
As @WineCountryUA pointed out there are some outlying exceptions, but I would think they are very very rare.
For more ,see Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)? , given the number of folks stating they were on both list -- it happens enough that one cannot ignore the possibility

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.