Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK & CDG timing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

JFK & CDG timing

Air France just cancelled our flight JFK-CDG and we rebooked on DL. A few questions:

What time should we arrive at JFK for a 5:50pm international flight? We are TSA precheck and in business class.

Our boarding passes include "Verify Passport". Can this be done at the lounge or gate or do we have to go to a check-in counter?

We hope to sleep on the flight. Should we try to move from row 9? We can't change seats online, so perhaps the flight is full.

Do we get fast track immigration at CDG? If so, just show the boarding passes or do we need a document from DL?

ETA: Is the relevant arrivals lounge the AF one in 2C? Can we just walk from 2E? Is it likely to be overly busy around 7:30am?

I apologize if this is not the right place to ask, but I'm a bit frazzled having to rearrange things to fly many hours earlier than scheduled.

Last edited by richarddd; Oct 16, 2018 at 8:15 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
The fastest and easiest way to verify your passports is at a kiosk in the check-in area. You will then get a new boarding pass that says Docs OK.

At CDG look for the Access 1 signs, the equivalent of Fast Track. Your boarding pass lets you use those lines.
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
The docs check can be done at any stage in the process:

if if you have bags to check it’ll be at check in, but otherwise you can check in with your app and do the docs check in skyclub or even at the gate. It takes only a few seconds.
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Arrival time -- I would recommend arriving at least 90 minutes before your flight; if you're not checking away you could get away with arriving 60 minutes out if you have a high risk tolerance. JFK T4 security can be chaotic but the Precheck line remains manageable; you'll be going through at peak time but even still it should be no more than 15-20 minutes for security, and probably less. (And much easier than it would have been at T1 flying Air France.)

There is the arrivals lounge at 2C, I think you should have access but not 100% sure if you'll get in flying Delta. Others may be able to confirm.
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I would arrive at least 2 hours before departure at JFK since T4 is a very big mess at that time. BP can be re printed at the lounge. With regards to arrivals lounge, you should have access.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:53 am

I often go to T2 and take the Jitney. I do this mainly for Clear, but it does save a good deal of walking in T4. Now if only the Jitney went closer to the middle of T4/near the Sky Club.
orlandodlplat likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerwma
I often go to T2 and take the Jitney. I do this mainly for Clear, but it does save a good deal of walking in T4. Now if only the Jitney went closer to the middle of T4/near the Sky Club.
This is what I do as well. Security at T2 overall is better.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Originally Posted by SDQBound
This is what I do as well. Security at T2 overall is better.
How exactly does this work? I don't usually fly DL, so I'm not really familiar with T2 or T4, let alone the Jitney.

As mentioned above, we're pre-check and business.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Even with Access No. 1, CDG can be a disaster - especially with the crush of DL flights all leaving for the US right around 10-11 am. It's the only airport in Europe where even with SkyPriority/Access No. 1, I still try to get there 2.5-3 hours before. I took an uber from central Paris, and once we got to the airport, it took over 20 minutes just to pull up in front of Terminal 2E. On the same trip, when I was on CDG-JFK, the SkyPriority bag drop line with AF (who handles all of DL's flights, similar to KL at AMS) was over a half hour, easy.

You might totally luck out and sail through, but better safe than sorry. It's an unfortunate pain.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Cory6188
Even with Access No. 1, CDG can be a disaster - especially with the crush of DL flights all leaving for the US right around 10-11 am. It's the only airport in Europe where even with SkyPriority/Access No. 1, I still try to get there 2.5-3 hours before. I took an uber from central Paris, and once we got to the airport, it took over 20 minutes just to pull up in front of Terminal 2E. On the same trip, when I was on CDG-JFK, the SkyPriority bag drop line with AF (who handles all of DL's flights, similar to KL at AMS) was over a half hour, easy.

You might totally luck out and sail through, but better safe than sorry. It's an unfortunate pain.
The OP is not leaving from CDG; he’s leaving from JFK.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
How exactly does this work? I don't usually fly DL, so I'm not really familiar with T2 or T4, let alone the Jitney.

As mentioned above, we're pre-check and business.
Go to T2 instead of T4. You will find a SkyPriority check-in area where they can verify your passport and re-print your BP. Once you clear TSA, follow the signs to B gates and take the Jittney bus to the stop closer to your gate.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Go to T2 instead of T4. You will find a SkyPriority check-in area where they can verify your passport and re-print your BP. Once you clear TSA, follow the signs to B gates and take the Jittney bus to the stop closer to your gate.
How much time might we expect to save doing this rather than entering through T4?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
How much time might we expect to save doing this rather than entering through T4?
5 minutes?
I assume this is for tonight (Tuesday)? Even at peak "time" (not peak day, that's probably Thursday), 20 minutes would probably be the high end to get through T4 security with PreCheck.

If you're checking a bag, the cut-off at JFK for an outbound international flight is 60 minutes, so I think planning to arrive 90 minutes prior to departure is okay, with some additional cushion depending on your mode of transport to the airport. If you're not checking a bag, 60 minutes (plus any needed cushion) is probably fine.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:56 pm

You should aim to be at Jfk no later than 345. Delta suggests three hours, sixty minutes is the cutoff for luggage, checking in at the airport. If you aren’t checking luggage go right thru security. You can use a kiosk on the other side of security for passport verification or you can have it checked at the sky club or gate. How much time two vs 4 saves is somewhat dependent on your gate in terminal four. I personally always go thru four yes it can back up but I would say the longest I have waited has been 15 minutes. Yes the walk to some of the gates is long but it will depend on which gate you get as to how far the walk is.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

The flight is tonight. I'm just a bit frazzled due to AF cancelling my original flight, then after I rebooked on DL (leaving and arriving earlier than I'd like), purporting to rebook me themselves on a flight tomorrow.

Checking a bag is very low on my list of priorities.

Thanks to all for the very helpful advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.