Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why not automatically moved into ticketed cabin once space became available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One

I purchased a one-way 2 segment J fare. The long segment had J available at time of purchase. The shorter segment did not, and I was ok with risking being in Y. I was surprised that once J opened up on the shorter segment I was not automatically moved up...I needed to call. Is this standard, or should I have been moved up automatically when the space opened up? I feel fortunate that I happened to notice the availability on EF.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
AA does automatically upgrade people on the waitlist when space opens up, but it's not instantaneous (most likely, the upgrades are done through a separate batch process that runs periodically). It's been long reported on this forum that you can call in and "jump the queue," so to speak, if you find availability through EF or otherwise.

ETA: I just realized this was a ticket purchase, not an upgrade situation. In that case you might not have been waitlisted for J on the shorter segment, so you would indeed need to call in. (I was in a similar situation with an award ticket last month, one leg in economy and the other in F, and just had to keep an eye on availability for the former).
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Likely because the IT system running this is 30+ years old. Ideally, yes, it would automatically move you into the cabin without having to monitor and call.
chrisny2 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia
I purchased a one-way 2 segment J fare. The long segment had J available at time of purchase. The shorter segment did not, and I was ok with risking being in Y. I was surprised that once J opened up on the shorter segment I was not automatically moved up...I needed to call. Is this standard, or should I have been moved up automatically when the space opened up? I feel fortunate that I happened to notice the availability on EF.
Based on the language you used ("J fare", "purchase"), I am assuming that you are NOT talking about an award, but about a paid ticket. Why should people who have bought Y be automatically moved up if J becomes available? That would be crazy--most people buy Y and have no desire to pay for J.

Now with an award, it is possible to take a 'voluntary' downgrade on some segments while paying the full amount of miles for a J award. In those cases, it would be nice if they would fix the issue automatically hen there is availability. But there is nothing in your post that suggests you are talking about awards.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Based on the language you used ("J fare", "purchase"), I am assuming that you are NOT talking about an award, but about a paid ticket. Why should people who have bought Y be automatically moved up if J becomes available? That would be crazy--most people buy Y and have no desire to pay for J.

Now with an award, it is possible to take a 'voluntary' downgrade on some segments while paying the full amount of miles for a J award. In those cases, it would be nice if they would fix the issue automatically hen there is availability. But there is nothing in your post that suggests you are talking about awards.
My impression is that the OP bought a through J fare, so your comments about folks buying Y and getting J don't apply. This wasn't an upgrade.
Often1, wrp96, SK and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Award travel is no different to paid travel in this respect

with a paid business class ticket, if there is no availability in business class, for the required booking class or if there is no business cabin on a sector, , it is possible to downgrade that sector to economy class

The person has still paid for business class

If availability opens up in the paid for cabin , it is generally quite possible to rebook into the paid for cabin

Some airlines will waitlist the passenger for the higher cabin whilst confirming in the lower cabin and seems a reasonable question on why he has found AA to not do that
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:19 pm

I don’t think you understood. OP bought a J fare, but is seated in Y for a segment.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:31 pm

Ah, OK
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically it’s only possible to waitlist for paid fares in full J (or Y). If this was a discount bucket, the fare rules might not have even allowed waitlisting, but either way, the waitlisting would not be automatic. You’d have to request it first.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
AA is too busy #GoingForGreat to spend money on minor issues like the satisfaction of paid premium cabin customers.
MarkOK and sdsearch like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It also depends on the fare code of the segment that was booked in economy. I've had issues when booking a business class trip where when booked the flight out of my local airport was one class, then later changed to two class, but AA wouldn't move me up because I "booked an economy fare class for that segment" and it took some time arguing back and forth to get them to understand.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:21 am

I have a similar issue, but on an award flight & wonder if anyone can help.

I was originally ticketed HND-LAX-SLC-CLT-XXX as a MileSAAver U award. HND-LAX was in business on AA, with LAX-SLC & SLC-CLT being domestic first on AA. (CLT to my hometown is only on RJs without first cabins, so realize I wasn't going to get a seat there).

I was able to find a first class seat on JL, and am booked as MileSAAver Z NRT-LAX, but the trip to my hometown is now LAX-CLT-XXX, all in Mile SAAver coach (T). If domestic first award space opens on LAX-CLT, would I be able to call & request to get switched? Can I ask to be placed on a waitlist for it? I'm also planning on creating an alert in Expert Flyer; would I need to look for Z availability (since the overwater leg is in Z), or just typical U availability because it's AA domestic?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
You would be looking for U availability since it is AA domestic first. And yes, you should be able to call in to request the change if space becomes available.
GWFan likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:37 am

Thanks! EF alert set and fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.