Wiki Posts
Search

BA at London-Gatwick 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
BA at London-Gatwick 2019

If it's ok thought I would start a thread where we could place all news regarding BA at London Gatwick 2019 now that they have had a year to plan after acquiring the Monarch slots in late 2017.
Obviously this year has been one of keeping slots utilised, using some leased aircraft and adding some new short haul destinations. By 2019 aircraft and crew should be more readily available to service the slots.
By March next year at least 10 of the 777s will have been refurbished and new Airbus A320/321 deliveries to Heathrow will allow more A319/320 to be redeployed to Gatwick. I assume this will mean less need to lease
in extra frames. Apart from one A319 withdrawal no other A319/320 have left the fleet as originally planned. I presume this was due to the need to service the Monarch slots.
Route wise I have read that Kos will start in May and that there will be increases to Cancun and Las Vegas compared to this summer. All other destinations seem to be returning with the exception of Oakland.
I think most winter 2018/2019 changes have already been announced, with frequency increases on some short haul and long haul routes. Cologne is also introduced from November.
Just thought this thread would be useful to pool information. Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
With 767s being withdrawn from LHR and A320 densification ongoing, I guess it will still be a while before more A320s can be transferred to LGW.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Yes but by next March about a dozen new ones will have been delivered. Only 5 or 6 more 767s to be retired.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Yes but by next March about a dozen new ones will have been delivered. Only 5 or 6 more 767s to be retired.
Just 5. 3 go on 31st Oct and the other two on the 25th Nov. The neos are coming quicker than that. 5 delivered so far this year with another 4 due. Obviously continuing into 2019 too. At least 12 delivered as you said by March so the capacity will be growing.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Updated fleet plans will probably be available on the Capital Markets Day in November.
Hopefully route announcements will be made in the coming months to allow for a decent lead in before the beginning of the 2019 Summer season.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Not that it will matter for squat but what would be your top three destinations to be added to LGW be? Just for fun of course as I can't see BA making commercial decisions based on FT comments any time soon( although I think we all know things would be better if they did!)

I'd like to see BKK added for certain & getting HEL would make TP runs easier & while i'm a fan of Germany generally speaking TXL or MUC would be nice to have.

BKK & TXL( well Berlin) are incredibly popular routes/ destinations for those living in the south and would make good sense imo.
hypercrypt likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I'd expect more Vueling flights to take up some of the MON slots. Sadly.
Maybe a cheeky Level rotation somewhere too to check the public response to IAG Low Cost?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
I'd like to see BKK added for certain ...

BKK & TXL( well Berlin) are incredibly popular routes/ destinations for those living in the south and would make good sense imo.
BA already seems to have trouble making LHR-BKK work, despite the apparently rampant enthusiasm from those living in the south. How would adding LGW-BKK make any sense?
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Not that it will matter for squat but what would be your top three destinations to be added to LGW be? Just for fun of course as I can't see BA making commercial decisions based on FT comments any time soon( although I think we all know things would be better if they did!)

I'd like to see BKK added for certain & getting HEL would make TP runs easier & while i'm a fan of Germany generally speaking TXL or MUC would be nice to have.

I'd love to see DUB added, so we can connect to long-haul destinations out of LGW on BA, rather than having to get from LHR to LGW or fly Aer Lingus into LGW.
dylanks, T8191 and Jim72 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Globaliser
BA already seems to have trouble making LHR-BKK work, despite the apparently rampant enthusiasm from those living in the south. How would adding LGW-BKK make any sense?
Maybe if they moved it a little further south it might work better as it's generally considered a hate crime for trendy south coasters not to have visited the place by 30 lol ( tongue firmly in cheek throughout)
@hshs very fair point

Last edited by TWCLAM; Sep 24, 2018 at 5:32 am Reason: addition
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I would like to see a LGW-ABZ route back as currently having to use Easyjet a lot.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
What’s the likihood of an increase in domestic routes?

I’m thinking specifically NCL here.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:35 am

I think HAV is a possibility. St. Marten has also been rumoured. I'd be on the fence on that one, figuratively, at least!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
LGW domestic would be nice to have back should BA be serious about the base. Especially an AM and PM wave to connect with the long haul and longer euro routes.

The current NQY-LON pso contract currently operates by Flybe is currently being re-tendered and I would certainly be curious to see if BA bid considering Flybe carries in excess of 100k on the route last year on 19 rotations each way on an E95

cs
Akoz likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by geordiejetsetter
What’s the likihood of an increase in domestic routes?

I’m thinking specifically NCL here.
I'd expect a MAN rotation or two would be useful, especially with all those Manchester United fans living in Surrey.
iamnibblypig likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.