Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Long-haul J Comparison: AC vs. UA vs. NH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

First time flying UA's 'Polaris' J product today (UA837 SFO-NRT operated by the 77W), and wanted to provide a quick comparison to AC's 'Signature' offering.

(1) On the Ground: UA's Polaris Lounge at SFO is excellent, much better than any United Club or Maple Leaf Lounge (obviously). It's enormous, aesthetically pleasing, and had an ample breakfast spread featuring hot and cold items. There is also a sit-down restaurant with a tempting menu that I decided to pass on. I've not yet had a chance to experience the Signature Suite at YYZ so can't compare.

(2) In the Air: UA's 'Polaris' J seat is fantastic. Compared to AC's 'Signature' J seat, it offers more privacy and storage space, and there is zero risk of deflategate. I had the Japanese kaiseki option for lunch and an omelette for breakfast. Taste and quality were comparable to AC's J meals. The cabin crew was polite and efficient if not particularly friendly. As an SE member, I've gotten used to that slight 'special treatment' on AC flights, which I obviously did not receive here. Inflight wifi was welcome (I got a lot of work done on this flight and am writing from the air now), but for US$33.99, the reliability left one wanting.

After a short layover, I'll be flying NH's 'Inspiration of Japan' J product (NH801 NRT-SIN operated by the 789) and can provide another comparison point. If past experience is any indication, I expect both service and food will be superior to either UA or AC.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Area you able to sleep on your sides on UA and NH?
Does it feel like they offer more or less vertical space?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Area you able to sleep on your sides on UA and NH?
Does it feel like they offer more or less vertical space?
Yes to both, but I'm not very big (in any direction), so J seat space has never been an issue for me.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Dress lightly for NH. Hot cabins! !!
D404 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
But NH has boarding music!

+1 on Polaris Lounge in SFO. Way better food than a normal RCC or MLL - no comparison really.

The restaurant, while slow service, had pretty good food. Maybe not quite Signature Suite level (based on pics I’ve seen), but a good place to chill, and the lounge has lots of showers.

Only one main bar area, but a relatively good amount of proper wine.

It would be nice to see a few more AC Signature Suites be rolled out, especially in YVR.

While I wasn’t a fan of the old J seat on the UA 787 (no real privacy, and felt really close to my neighbor, it didn’t deflate!
capedreamer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Dress lightly for NH. Hot cabins! !!
They're perfect for me.

I'm frequently chilly on AC flights.

Greetings from 40,000 feet. I really like NH's seat and mattress pad. Also...service and food are fantastic (as expected).
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doubleflier
But NH has boarding music!
A bit cheesy, but I like it!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Originally Posted by capedreamer

After a short layover, I'll be flying NH's 'Inspiration of Japan' J product (NH801 NRT-SIN operated by the 789) and can provide another comparison point. If past experience is any indication, I expect both service and food will be superior to either UA or AC.
Watch the seat map like a hawk for NH801. From reading around, NH LOVES to do equipment swaps which I experienced myself. Seat map from 3 months to departure to T-48 said that I was getting the LH J pods, next thing I know I'm sitting next to someone in their 2x2 regional J config. Never even got a notice that there was a seat/equipment swap either, and I had my email address registered with NH. There's a huge difference and IMO the regional J config is pretty bad. +1 to whoever said dress light, they do have hot cabins. I'd argue bring a pillow too, the ones they give in J are basically toilet paper in a fancy knitted wrapper. I've had more substantial pillows in AC Y.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by cyralax
Watch the seat map like a hawk for NH801. From reading around, NH LOVES to do equipment swaps which I experienced myself. Seat map from 3 months to departure to T-48 said that I was getting the LH J pods, next thing I know I'm sitting next to someone in their 2x2 regional J config. Never even got a notice that there was a seat/equipment swap either, and I had my email address registered with NH. There's a huge difference and IMO the regional J config is pretty bad.
Good advice, but what would you have done even if you been informed of the equipment change? Take a different flight?

Not sure what your options would be here.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Good advice, but what would you have done even if you been informed of the equipment change? Take a different flight?

Not sure what your options would be here.
You’re right, not a whole lot can be done. Basically if they’re travelling solo, then they might appreciate having direct aisle access which may not be guaranteed with an equipment swap.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:54 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

You’re right, not a whole lot can be done. Basically if they’re travelling solo, then they might appreciate having direct aisle access which may not be guaranteed with an equipment swap.
Roger that. If I have to fly 2x2 in J, I will take the aisle every time.

Here's hoping they don't swap out the 789 on my upcoming trip to HND.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Any sort of decent change which could included a podded J to not or this poor layout should entitle you to change flight. If there are several a day that is.

Last two times my flights got changed I rang up and in the first case was moved back to my original flight and in the second case moved from a 39 min connection to a 4h one. Now sure neither was an equipment change, but there are always options. Even if it’s just picking a less offensive seat.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Watch the seat map like a hawk for NH801.
Luckily wasn't an issue yesterday, but boy am I aware...
cyralax likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
A bit cheesy, but I like it!
EVA has its own Evergreen Orchestra.
Anyway, in respect to the comments on the NH 2X2, I had a little chuckle as Polaris on many TPACs is still 2X4X2 . Unacceptable. Not much privacy when one is lying sandwiched between a few snoring slobs or a flatulent Felicia.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
First time flying UA's 'Polaris' J product today (UA837 SFO-NRT operated by the 77W), and wanted to provide a quick comparison to AC's 'Signature' offering.

(2) In the Air: UA's 'Polaris' J seat is fantastic. Compared to AC's 'Signature' J seat, it offers more privacy and storage space, and there is zero risk of deflategate.
I am guessing this was not the 8 across UA J seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.