Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cash + Points General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold

I searched the Forum but didn't find it mentioned.

Since the Merger, Marriott offers Cash + Points at fixed Rates (see https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...cash-points.mi ) . However, I don't seem to be able to make a booking according to that table.

On all the bookings I tried, when choosing "CUSTOMIZE CASH + POINTS" it only offers me to switch between Full Point Redemption or Full Cash Rate for each day of the booking.
Has anyone used C+P as promoted successfully?
Is this a bug in the system and could I make such a booking over the phone, or are there blackout dates for C+P?

Not living in a country with Marriott / SPG Credit Cards, I am not able to earn as many points as I'd want to, and would very gladly use the opportunity to virtually buy points below $0.01.

Further: In the new Cash + Points System, would I still get the fifth night free?
I would hope / expect the same rule (fifth night of Award Booking free) to apply, since it remains a full award booking, but I haven't found it documented in writing anywhere.

Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I booked a C&P online at the rate in the table you linked to just last weekend. No idea about the fifth night free but no problem booking a C&P stay online.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The MR version of cash and points, which was introduced fairly recently, simply allows you to combine regular paid nights and award nights on the same reservation. Nothing more.

SPG's longstanding bargain was a bargain but hotels weren't obligated to offer it. It also generally didn't count for promos, nor did award nights/stays.

Starriott is supposed to have something with points and money, but I haven't examined the details or tried to find these yet.

Are you booking from your (unmerged) MR account?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Starriott is supposed to have something with points and money, but I haven't examined the details or tried to find these yet.

Are you booking from your (unmerged) MR account?
I linked the table above and will gladly show it again: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...cash-points.mi

I guess I'll call Marriott in the morning and see what they say.
I tried multiple Marriott and SPG properties on three continents and random dates between next week and late 2019 and can't for the life of me get it to show the advertised rates.

For example, the (randomly chosen) JW Marriott Miami is available between March 20 and 24 at 35k Points per night, or $509 + $509 + $474 + $474 for each respective night in "Points + Cash".

What it should really offer is "140k" (+$0) or "68k + $560" (Category 5 = 17k + USD 140 per Night).

My account has been updated and merged backwards (SPG gave me a new account number, but that became invalid and it has been combined under my original Marriott # Not sure if that's the way it supposed to be).
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Cash and Points is an optional rate that some properties may offer, or may offer on some nights and not others. If you don't see them, it's not offered (on-line, at least. You can try calling). No Blackout/cash room = award room/etc. rules apply only to points awards, not C&P. It was always this way at legacy SPG also.

Legacy Marriott sites, via their web site, offer both new/real/SPG-type Cash and Points and the lame MR legacy Cash or Points offer. If you see only the latter, see above.

5th night free applies to points awards only. (and only to standard awards. Upgraded rooms for higher points values do not get a 5th night free).

Case Study:

Awards for 4 nights -
Real Cash and Points - $420 and 48K points ($105 and 12K per night)
Award - 100K points
Lame Cash and Points - 25K points OR Cash Price for each night (plus Real C&P option)

Awards for 5 nights -
Real Cash and Points - $525 and 60K points ($105 and 12K per night - no 5th night free)
Award - 100K points (5th night free)

Different Property - same town, same nights

Only Award and Lame Cash and Points. Real/SPG-type C&P not offered

raph likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 22, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Cash and Points is an optional rate that some properties may offer, or may offer on some nights and not others. If you don't see them, it's not offered (on-line, at least. You can try calling).
(...)

Case Study:
(...)
Thank you so much, this is very helpful for me to see, particularly with the screenshots.

Would you disclose the property you chose for the "Real Points + Cash" offer? Via PM if you prefer.
I would just like to attempt to reproduce this just to verify there's nothing wrong with my account.

I still find it odd (sad really), since I would have thought / hoped that C+P at set rates were equal to other reward nights, the way IHG does: As long as there is any award availability, you can book either fully through points or through C+P.
I wish I could buy more than 50k annually (or use less through C+P respectively)

Hopefully it'll change down the road as they update their systems.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown
945 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15222 USA

Jan 16-20 and 16-21.

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
112 Washington Place Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219

Was the second, without C&P.
raph likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Do the maths first... the new version of C&P isn't much of a bargain. The amount you pay after tax for a "point saved" is higher than most people's valuation of a Marriott point.

It might have limited uses for those who wish to hoard their points (or are infrequent travellers with a small points balance), but need to stay at a hotel with relatively high cash rates. But since C&P is optional, it is precisely those high demand nights where the hotel probably won't be offering C&P.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Do the maths first... the new version of C&P isn't much of a bargain. The amount you pay after tax for a "point saved" is higher than most people's valuation of a Marriott point.
I'm not sure that's completely accurate. In the example above, you're effectively buying back 52K points for $420, or .807 cents per point, which is about .9 cents after tax. Pretty much in line with most estimates, and below many.

On a stay of 5 or more nights, the FFN does change the calculation.

OP, did you confirm the availability at the properties listed?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

OP, did you confirm the availability at the properties listed?
I did and do indeed get the same results as you did.

For the particular trip I was looking for, I already had an IHG property lined up, which became non-refundable today, so I guess I get to save my Marriott points for a bigger redemption next year.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:30 pm

So, can this be a good deal for 6 nights? The booking that I am doing, I am seeing wildly varying daily cash rates. Using the "customize cash+points" I am seeing that I can book 5 award nights (with one free night), and I can pick and choose a cash night with the lowest rate?

More importantly, will hotels honor this, especially those outside US and/or those who have not had this option previously? Almost too good to be true.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you can mix cash and points using MR's legacy approach - as long as the nights are consecutive, and there are at least 5 award nights, one of them will be free (or 2 of 10, etc). You should be able to book it and the property really has no way of not honoring it.

To be honest, I'd only use points here if you have so many that you won't have any other use for them in the next several years. Other then the first night, using 35K points for $148-$200/night is only .5-.6 cents per point - way on the low end. At least $250, preferably well over $300, is a reasonable 35K point redemption, IMHO.

With millions of points, I might do it anyway, but if points aren't plentiful, and will be needed in the next few years, I'd pay cash for this.
MSPeconomist and radiowell like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:13 pm

Yes, you can mix cash and points using MR's legacy approach - as long as the nights are consecutive, and there are at least 5 award nights, one of them will be free (or 2 of 10, etc). You should be able to book it and the property really has no way of not honoring it.

To be honest, I'd only use points here if you have so many that you won't have any other use for them in the next several years. Other then the first night, using 35K points for $148-$200/night is only .5-.6 cents per point - way on the low end. At least $250, preferably well over $300, is a reasonable 35K point redemption, IMHO.

With millions of points, I might do it anyway, but if points aren't plentiful, and will be needed in the next few years, I'd pay cash for this.
Yeah, my other option is to pay with points on the first night then pay cash on the rest. We'll see what I end up doing (it's still a month away).
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:13 am

Cash+Points and other struggles

Hi, Im an SPG'er and new to Marriot. I think we all know how appaling the website and the search experience is. I have specific question. Is there really no way to get the cash+points option to show up in a search list. It seems that for marriot properties, when u click on the Points only redemption rate, it shows u both once ure in it. And for SPG properties it seems to have gone completely. Talked to the Platinum line as well, and the marriot person had tot ransfer me to SPG cause they just could see the SPG properties and the details and the SPG person, didn't know what was going on and just said, i don't think we do cash+points rates anymore. I really need to make a cash + points booking but am now unclear on how to do so for an SPG property, and how to look for marriots without having to select and check each one, in a city like san Francisco, that's a lot.

As a consumer, ive been though a lot of badly managed situations and this is the fourth major issue ive had so i thought id write and check with this wonderful community. I mean is this going to get better? Do we have any direction here? Shall I make a list of all of the problems, is there someone listening?

Appreciate the guidance.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Given that C+P were different between Marriott and Starwood, I'm doubtful you will be able to see the old SPG C+P rates for a group of hotels at one time. It is still possible to go to a legacy Starwood hotel's website and look for C+P rates that way, but only on a hotel by hotel basis. At least I couldn't figure out how to look for all hotels in an area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.