Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free agency. An AA loyalist no more - YMMV

Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

MrsDallas49er and I just completed our 1st "free agent" trip.DAL-SFO-DAL on Alaska (albeit, the artist formerly known as Virgin America) in F. It was an eye opening experience.

It was a welcome change to be appreciated from start to finish, instead of the usual slow, torturous, death march, that sucks the life out of you, which seems to be every AA flight. We're tired of AAttitude. From the Corporate suite, to check-in, to the gate, to in-flight, to OUT!

On AA going forward 2018, I only have left DFW-HKG in "f", LHR-DFW in "j", and we only have DFW-SAN-DFW and DFW-CDG-DFW.

2019 plans include 6+ trips to CDG, 2-3 trips to NRT, 1-2 trips PEK/PVG, 1 trip to DEL, all in PAID J (by me) . Plus monthly trips to SFO, and quarterly trips to NYC. Half are already booked away. In most business models, I/we would be HVC .

We have both re-qualified as EXP through 1/31/20 and will have 16+ EVIP's and all that "faux availability", and it will be the ONLY driver to AA for us.

If you wish to throw rocks from the safety of sitting behind a screen, DON'T BOTHER.

However, if I had to travel the way I used to : 175+ segments/yr x 25yrs, plus vacation travel, I would suck it up. Because, when everything goes to poo poo, after the CKs get the red carpet, the limo, the lobster with his/her steak, and gets home, and EXP's are left with the ... I pity PLTs that still think they are special.

Fly safe!
levistrauss and Gino Troian like this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 22, 2018 at 5:12 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So, since I am sure there are a few AA HQ lurkers, I'd like to get a feel for how much revenue AA is saying buh bye to....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So, since I am sure there are a few AA HQ lurkers, I'd like to get a feel for how much revenue AA is saying buh bye to....
Short answer-According to MrsDallas49er 20K+ x 2. Not all done.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 22, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the post. I wish AA would wake up and take corrective action before I reach the same point...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Thanks for the post. I wish AA would wake up and take corrective action before I reach the same point...
Bon chance, mon ami. Bon chance!
apeortdz likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You can't imagine how little attention from "AA HQ lurkers" a thread like this gets. Even if you tried you couldn't imagine how little.

And, they already had their chance to "get a feel" of this-- from this exact OP-- even if they did just for the laughs and eyerolls:

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV
Dallas49er, SJOGuy, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I live in PHX and travel to ATL for work several times per year. Until now, I have exclusively flown AA and have the AA credit card, since I don't travel enough to earn Elite status under the new conditions. I'm so tired of AA this year. I feel like I'm flying an ULCC. It has gotten THAT bad.

I'm looking now for my next trip. I may switch to DL and see how they are.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Not every FT has the resources to pay for F. Most businesses do not allow J travel unless over a certain number of hours, if at all. I’d rather be PLT with MCE and occasion upgrades than a true nobody stuffed into 35 E. Believe it or not many business flyers have no discretion on who they fly me being one of them. Since I’m at a hub usually its AA for me.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You can't imagine how little attention from "AA HQ lurkers" a thread like this gets. Even if you tried you couldn't imagine how little.

And, they already had their chance to "get a feel" of this-- from this exact OP-- even if they did just for the laughs and eyerolls:

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV
I have always appreciated your foresight/insight. And appreciate and respect your position. Please respect mine.

Well, if enough of us walk away ...

Unlike most that rant only, my household is voting with our dollars., unlike <committed loyalists>..

Have a nice day!
GB and chalten like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 22, 2018 at 8:07 pm Reason: Redacted negative characterization not permitted in this forum
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Unlike most that rant only, my household is voting with our dollars., unlike <committed loyalists>.
Sure I'll forget about my 100% success rate on SWUs; my 75% rate on domestic upgrades; my access to great lounges; the essentially guaranteed access to MCE; the free award deposits; the access to better handling during IROPs; etc - all while flying around on mostly deep discount Y fares.

If AA doesn't work for you - great, that's your decision to make. But this attitude that everyone who's not ditching AA is automatically an "AApologist" is what I don't get. It's not that binary.

As for "those that rant only" - as pointed out upthead, you posted basically this identical thread a little more that month ago. What's the point of posting the same thing again, if not to rant?
Andriyko, SJOGuy, DMPHL and 4 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 22, 2018 at 8:08 pm Reason: Edited for consistency with edited post content
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
Sure I'll forget about my 100% success rate on SWUs; my 75% rate on domestic upgrades; my access to great lounges; the essentially guaranteed access to MCE; the free award deposits; the access to better handling during IROPs; etc - all while flying around on mostly deep discount Y fares.

If AA doesn't work for you - great, that's your decision to make. But this attitude that everyone who's not ditching AA is automatically an "AApologist" is what I don't get. It's not that binary.

As for "those that rant only" - as pointed out upthead, you posted basically this identical thread a little more that month ago. What's the point of posting the same thing again, if not to rant?
Frustration with a good thing gone bad?

I have/had been hoping for intelligent discourse (discussion) and not vilification, but if this is what I get... and what its going to be ....

I guess its not to be.

Bon soir.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Frustration with a good thing gone bad?

I have/had been hoping for intelligent discourse (discussion) and not vilification, but if this is what I get... and what its going to be ....
Two exact rant threads doesn't help promote discourse ...

Originally Posted by bse118
There are certainly changes I don't like ... not enough F on A319's, senior FA's who disappear on international flights, ... but, I'm 75 percent on SWU's, 90 percent on domestic upgrades, always find helpful people in the AC or on the EXP line, and excellent care when there is a problem. Yes, they upgrade (and board) CK's before me -- a $30k annual spend EXP. On the service issue, junior FA's on shorter flights in F almost always provide better service than senior FA's in international J.

And I've had a few paid F and some Y trips on AS and DL but I don't find the service or the aircraft markedly different. Different brands of chips on shorter flights and the same inconsistency on PDB but nothing that significant. And sure, I'd rather have a Qatar level product.
SJOGuy, DMPHL and etiene like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have certainly had some wanderlust myself recently - looks like I'll be traveling on UA for most of the rest of the year (to the delight of my company's travel dragons).

However, that's only after requalifying EXP on AA. There are some things that annoy me about AA (although less than others, since I'm an ex- pre-HP US flyer). But:
  1. My wife really likes the Flagship Lounge at ORD
  2. My wife and I both really enjoy AA's International J hard product (we've also gotten fairly lucky with crews - including an ORD-LHR segment where my wife got sick due to backwards seat + fairly epic turbulence - they were fantastic taking care of her)
  3. I'm 80% on upgrades this year (closer to 100% if you remove DFW and MCO from the equation), but, more importantly, my wife is nearly 100% when traveling with me
My wife likes AA, so I'm willing to put up with some of the more...ridiculous...shenanigans you see when you fly frequently. Ultimately, they get me from A to B, usually with an upgrade (that I didn't pay for), and with service that's usually fine. I feel like I get my (company's and clients') money's worth.

Now, heading to Europe in a couple weeks, I'm on AY and my wife is on EI, so we'll see - I suspect she'll rather enjoy EI.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:12 pm

Short answer-According to MrsDallas49er 20K+ x 2. Not all done.
How can your revenue be so low if this is what you're flying:

2019 plans include 6+ trips to CDG, 2-3 trips to NRT, 1-2 trips PEK/PVG, 1 trip to DEL, all in PAID J (by me) . Plus monthly trips to SFO, and quarterly trips to NYC.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
How can your revenue be so low if this is what you're flying:

2019 plans include 6+ trips to CDG, 2-3 trips to NRT, 1-2 trips PEK/PVG, 1 trip to DEL, all in PAID J (by me) . Plus monthly trips to SFO, and quarterly trips to NYC.
Judging from the thread title, I suspect those are not on AA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.