EWR-BOM route --- UA vs AI ?

Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

EWR-BOM route --- UA vs AI ?

is there anybody that has flown business both air inda and united on the EWR-BOM route and has an opinion to share? I don't care too much about food but mostly a comfortable seat since I'm 6.2. Planning a trip for 4 of us including 2 toddlers. Price-wise united is 20% more than air india right now and now that United has proper Polaris on this route, it may have the edge but want to hear from someone who has flown both airlines

Thx

Last edited by sam007; Sep 22, 2018 at 7:51 am
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by sam007
is there anybody that has flown business both air inda and united on the EWR-BOM route and has an opinion to share? I don't care too much about food but mostly a comfortable seat since I'm 6.2. Planning a trip for 4 of us including 2 toddlers. Price-wise united is 20% more than air india right now and now that United has proper Polaris on this route, it may have the edge but want to hear from someone who has flown both airlines

Thx
United has proper Polaris on this route now? That is news to me. Was just on it last week.

I personally prefer to fly United for this route. Air India as a government run operation is worse than united servicewise IMO.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

maybe i was mistaken - what exact aircraft has proper polaris
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you are buying a ticket, use Google Flights to price 1 connection options on or around your travel dates.
Saudia from JFK would be better than either AI or UA and I see prices are low as $2,200 roundtrip Business, nearly half of what UA wants.
Yes, they don't serve alcohol and the connection would add travel time as would (presumably) the drive to JFK, but you'd save $7,500 on 4 tickets, if that matters.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:04 am

From Oct. 16, United will fly the 777-300ER on this route, with the new Polaris seating.

I would go with United on this one. Air India is not so reliable, I would not fly with them.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:06 am

FWIW, I think “non-proper” Polaris is probably the better configuration if you are a group of 4, especially with toddlers. I love the standard UA seat when I am traveling with someone. “Proper Polaris” may get the nod when traveling solo. I’ll let you know if my opinion changes when the day finally comes that I get to experience it... I’m guessing 2022 or so... lol.

But for 4 people, don’t shy away from the standard UA seat on this route, IMHO.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
maybe i was mistaken - what exact aircraft has proper polaris
No, you are correct
Originally Posted by LordHamster
United has proper Polaris on this route now? ...
In the future, this is scheduled as a 773ER (Starting Oct 27)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2018 at 8:16 am Reason: revised the starting date
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely take UA over AI. I haven't ever flown AI but I have read some very negative reviews of them. The new Polaris seats will be very nice.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold

Thx
done biz in both. Will recommend UA over AI. AI 773s are nothing to write home in J.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Do yourself a big favor and chose United especially since the new Polaris seats will be offered.

Been on their new 787 - although lie flat, it was 2-2-2 and already worn out. IFE was horribly slow and the food was quite disgusting to say the least. This was on the BKK-BOM and DEL-BKK route.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, you are correct
In the future, this is scheduled as a 773ER (Starting Oct 27)
I'm both thrilled and frustrated by this. Thrilled my most used route is getting Polaris, annoyed because my next flight will be early October and I'll be back before the 27th :/
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Didn't AI have a close call about a week ago where it was revealed they've been cutting corners on maintenance due to financial woes? Go UA.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
My company doesn't allow us to fly AI at all. It's probably the worst airline in the world.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
AI is terrible, fly UA. Especially with EWR-BOM receiving new Polaris birds soon.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Didn't AI have a close call about a week ago where it was revealed they've been cutting corners on maintenance due to financial woes? Go UA.
This. At some point, soft (and even hard) product aside, you have to go with a known quantity. UA may have had their tumbles when it comes to service quality, but nobody's faulting them (or any of the major US airlines, for that matter) on the safety front. To me, this would be a non-starter to pick UA vs. AI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.