No internet

Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Question No internet

Flew SEA-DTW on Tuesday 9-18 and was warned by email that there would be no Gogo internet due to bird transitioning to satellite. Overheard FA telling a passenger that it may be happening more. Excited to have a chance at satellite but flying during business hours without connectivity is not good for me. Anyone else experience this?
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Sep 20, 2018 at 3:06 pm Reason: Redacted image with personally identifiable info. OP may add back an edited image.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
Flew SEA-DTW on Tuesday 9-18 and was warned by email that there would be no Gogo internet due to bird transitioning to satellite. Overheard FA telling a passenger that it may be happening more. Excited to have a chance at satellite but flying during business hours without connectivity is not good for me. Anyone else experience this?
I only ever use the "free" internet which is alaskaair.com and it's usually so painfully slow that I'd never consider actually paying for full internet access unless it was an emergency.

Last edited by dayone; Sep 20, 2018 at 3:01 pm Reason: Redact large quoted image.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
. Anyone else experience this?
Yes.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Gogo's 2Ku satellite wifi is actually decently fast. Experience with the prior generation ATG and ATG-4 systems isn't relevant.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
N290AK flew AS792 SEA-DTW 9/18. Shows delivered 7/26 of this year.

Most recent deliveries according to planespotters.net:
8/27 N292AK
7/26 N290AK
5/25 N288AK
5/11 N287AK

I flew N287AK in August, and didn't receive an email like the one above but I didn't bother to check wifi and I was an IRROPs SDC at about T-2h. If that one had it, probably only 2 or 3 planes without wifi.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I only ever use the "free" internet which is alaskaair.com and it's usually so painfully slow that I'd never consider actually paying for full internet access unless it was an emergency.
It get's a lot faster when you have paid/logged in. I have tried using the free access to alaskaair.com and it is useless, but once I buy a pass it works fine. Not fast, but it works.
AS737 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
@NWAlaskaFlyer, do you want to publicly post an email with your first name and record locator?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
@NWAlaskaFlyer, do you want to publicly post an email with your first name and record locator?
What could someone get with a past locator and a first name?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:10 pm

First 737 with 2Ku is coming online in the first week of October. All deliveries starting with N288AK are currently without WiFi, as they are next in line to receive 2Ku. It will not be happening more often as you heard, as modifications have already started.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Unplug!
inflight WiFi is not something I love. I miss the days that I could truly be unreachable when I was flying. I’ll cherish being on a few flights that this is the case again.
notquiteaff and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Had no wifi, no IFE, no power on a recent Airbus plane. Have had 3 flights on those birds, and 2 of the 3 have had this issue. Wondering if they are just leaving systems broken in anticipation of the reconfig at this point
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikexner
Unplug!
inflight WiFi is not something I love. I miss the days that I could truly be unreachable when I was flying. I’ll cherish being on a few flights that this is the case again.
I get the sentiment and on an evening flight or weekend I agree. Morning business flight on a weekday is very different though.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by AS737
First 737 with 2Ku is coming online in the first week of October. All deliveries starting with N288AK are currently without WiFi, as they are next in line to receive 2Ku. It will not be happening more often as you heard, as modifications have already started.
Unofficial AS fleet status page is showing N293AK at PAE for wifi installation.

https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com

Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:06 pm

Just flew MCO-PDX and there was NO WIFI!!! None of the crew new about it except 1 FA who showed me the new sat WIFI route installed but not activated. Seriously if its not activated then through that plane somewhere other than transcon.

On a side note, on our Ipads it never said there wasnt WIFI it just says that your device isnt compatable
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:55 pm

AS727 yesterday (10/20)? It's listed as N290AK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.