Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting AA to honor a promotion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Getting AA to honor a promotion

American Airlines sent me the promotion quoted below on two separate occasions earlier this year. I've purchased enough of upgrades that it should bump my status level (I'll hit it anyway, but it would be nice to get it a few flights earlier).

I contacted AA customer service about not receiving the EQDs and they told me I wouldn't get any the offer "is only available to those customers for whom it was designed."

Normally I would just drop it, but the response was unnecessarily rude and dismissive especially with there claim that I wasn't targeted despite having multiple emails with the offer that include my name, aadvantage number, and email address in the text of the email.

Is there any recourse to continue to ask them to honor the offer?

Exclusive offer

Earn with Main Cabin Extra and Preferred seats

On your next flight, upgrade your Main Cabin experience with more space to get work done or to stretch out and relax to watch a movie. Purchase a Main Cabin Extra seat — for as low as $20 — to enjoy extra legroom and Preferred Group 5 boarding. Or choose a Preferred seat to relax in a more favorable location.

Plus, travel by August 31, 2018, and earn 1 Elite Qualifying Dollar for every additional dollar you spend on Main Cabin Dollar for every additional dollar you spend on Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:04 am

Did the promotion email ask you to register? Has the time allotted for posting of the EQDs elapsed yet? Just making sure whether there might be another reason even though the one you were given is bogus.

I assume you emailed Customer Relations. Their initial responses are often written without much thought. You can reply, stating clearly that you did receive a personally targeted email with the promotion. There is a chance the second response will be better.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

There was no indication that you had to register in the email and it says allow 6-8 weeks after the flight for the EQDs to post (it's been over 8 weeks for all of the potentially eligible flights).

I have responded to the customer service email stating that I did in fact receive the targeted emails along and attached them, but its been well over a week with no response (my experience is that I typically get a response in 5-6 business days).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:16 am

Since it is an AAdvantage credit issue, you could also try phoning AAdvantage Customer Service (not Reservations).
aziraphale likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by aziraphale
American Airlines sent me the promotion quoted below on two separate occasions earlier this year. I've purchased enough of upgrades...
Just to make sure that we are clear, when you say that you purchased upgrades those were actually purchases of MCE or preferred seats in economy, not paying to upgrade to domestic first or international business, correct? On FT, generally "upgrade" refers to moving up to a higher cabin. Buying MCE or preferred seats is not upgrading in FT's lingo*. So, if you did upgrade to a higher cabin, I don't think those would count per the promotion language.

*Of course, there is an expectation that AA will someday soon make this an upgrade that requires elites to shell out $, stickers or miles, but that day has not yet come.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolcoil
when you say that you purchased upgrades those were actually purchases of MCE or preferred seats in economy, not paying to upgrade to domestic first or international business, correct?
Yes, MCE and preferred seats were purchased.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by aziraphale
Is there any recourse to continue to ask them to honor the offer?
DOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.