Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The New Forum: too much of a good thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

As a longtime SPG member (and short time Marriott member), I've been a regular reader of the SPG board here at FlyerTalk. Checking out the board once/day to see if there's any news of new promotions or questions about properties with which I am familiar would take me 5-10 minutes/day, time well spent, IMHO.

I understand why that board has been merged with the Marriott and RC boards, and there's no going back. But the daily dose of thread updates has waaaay more than doubled and the percentage of threads that I find to be of interest to me or where I can help someone has dropped by over 50%.

I'm not sure I find this board worth my time anymore.

Anyone else?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
For some reason, people seem to start a lot of threads that are already covered.

I'll also note that a lot of threads seem to focus on various aspects of the integration. Once we get past that, hopefully we'll be back to normal.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
It's a bit crazy right now, I agree, but I figure it'll calm down. Eventually, Marriott will fix all of the integration IT issues and those threads will start to go. Also, as we all get used to the threads, I imagine many will be merged (for instance the Marriott & Starwood what hotel in XXX city threads will become 1). And, as all of us get more used to the new combined program and each other's hotels (MAR vs. SPG) those threads will quiet down as well.
unclepants and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
For some reason, people seem to start a lot of threads that are already covered.

I'll also note that a lot of threads seem to focus on various aspects of the integration. Once we get past that, hopefully we'll be back to normal.
I've noticed the same thing. People start new threads rather than do a simple search. It's overwhelming if you've been away for a day or 2!

CheapElite/Kennected was a bit annoying, but he trained us well to use search and post in existing threads in the SPG forum!

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 16, 2018 at 7:37 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I agree that there's a lot of redundant traffic with the recent program integration, and things should almost certainly quiet down. Having said that, there's the simple math of population size - and MR's was likely quite a bit larger than SPG's. So there will likely be more than a mere doubling of daily traffic relative to what SPG folk are accustomed to, even after things settle down.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Like others I figure it will settle down once the merger & IT issues get sorted & as both sides get familiar w/ the other side's properties, etc.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
So I understand this correctly, the OP is frustrated with the high number of threads in the combined forum. So he/she creates a new thread to talk about it?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I echo the concerns of OP. To check it once a day now, you have to click through multiple pages of the forum.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The history from other mergers has shown that activity will decrease over time.

As noted above, using search and posting in existing threads would help a lot. This is especially true for those coming from one legacy forum and posting about an issue with another brand. Too many wheels are being reinvented.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If it bothers you, put FT away for a few weeks until the merger activity quiets down. Though the reality is that it's 3 programs being put into one, so don't expect an integrated SPG/Marriott/RC board to have the same volume as SPG alone.

And don't start new topics complaining that there are too many off-topic topics.
Old Hickory and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Thank you for the reassurances, most of you.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
As a longtime SPG member (and short time Marriott member), I've been a regular reader of the SPG board here at FlyerTalk. Checking out the board once/day to see if there's any news of new promotions or questions about properties with which I am familiar would take me 5-10 minutes/day, time well spent, IMHO.

I understand why that board has been merged with the Marriott and RC boards, and there's no going back. But the daily dose of thread updates has waaaay more than doubled and the percentage of threads that I find to be of interest to me or where I can help someone has dropped by over 50%.

I'm not sure I find this board worth my time anymore.

Anyone else?
This

and for whomever said put FT away for a few days - I did/I do and its even worse after a few days

It's not only the duplicative threads but the fact that there is a main forum and 3 sub forums is like someone looking to create problems.

I had a post about the SPG app - rather simple post and spent a few minutes searching and didn't find an answer so I decided to post a new question but then I had to figure out where to post it - I posted it in the SPG forum and it was answered but i couldn't even remember what forum I posted it in after the fact LOL

Just make ONE effing forum please

the old stuff will go away or be brought to the front if its useful - we don't need four freaking forums
CLEguy and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Also, seems like the quality of complaints in new topics complaining that there are too many off-topic topics, has gotten worse.
landgraf13 and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:32 am

It'll definitely calm down over time.. Even if Marriott doesn't get their stuff together and this becomes the new normal, eventually we'll all get used to it.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
.... I posted it in the SPG forum and it was answered but i couldn't even remember what forum I posted it in after the fact ....
You don't need to, really. You can find your own posts by clicking your Username in the upper righthand corner of the page and choosing My Posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.