Search

Pricing changes (and upgradable fares)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Pricing changes (and upgradable fares)

Hi,

I'm looking for a (self-funded) trip out to Vegas for a conference in March next year. I've been toying around with booking CW and upgrading to F on the way out since there seems to be availability. I've played with ITA Matrix quite a bit, and suddenly today all the prices have gone up (although the loads haven't changed). Is there a special 180-day out rule which I just missed? Or am I inflating the prices by trying dozens of combinations with Matrix? -- It's a 3-day conference mid-week so I'm looking at all sorts of routings for the way back...

Also, I tried with BA's low fare finder for CW, and getting out from LHR, back to LGW, it seems my ticket is in the I bucket, and it says no upgrades. Is that normal? Including Avios?

Thanks.
(Newbie Alex)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My guess would be that the Revenue Management Analyst handling the route looks six months ahead rather than a year and, seeing your conference, made the appropriate changes.

In respect of upgrades, in this context it means that I class cannot be upgraded to another fare valid for travel in Club World. You can see it as another way of saying no changes, no refunds because if they did not have such a rule another passenger would be able to upgrade to J, C, D or R and then change the ticket under the conditions of those fares. You can still upgrade with Avios or under an airport special, if either of those options are available.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
My guess would be that the Revenue Management Analyst handling the route looks six months ahead rather than a year and, seeing your conference, made the appropriate changes.
Considering there are constantly conferences in Lost Wages, I don't really think that is so easy to say ;-)

I will be there for the second time this year on a conference related trip, VMware VMworld this time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alex67500
Is there a special 180-day out rule which I just missed?
Without knowing the details of what you were trying to price, it's impossible to be sure whether this is the cause, but yes: the cheapest CW fares have a 6m AP. The easiest way to test this is to price similar trips one week and two weeks later than your desired trip.
Originally Posted by alex67500
Also, I tried with BA's low fare finder for CW, and getting out from LHR, back to LGW, it seems my ticket is in the I bucket, and it says no upgrades. Is that normal? Including Avios?
Bad news: the first answer is yes.

Good news: the second answer is no. The "no upgrades" rule applies to cash upgrades. Upgrades using Avios are fine.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the DIF fares are non upgradable?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I think the DIF fares are non upgradable?
DIF fares are upgradeable although you might need to call for this.

You could of course get an I class DIF fare that is non changeable as they are just a type of discounted fare.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your answers. I'll book that today then. And I'll keep learning!!

First time in First, thanks to this place and a couple of blogs, I'll send special thanks from the front of the plane :-)

To come back on the revenue management piece, it's not really a high profile conference, there'll be 50 people, and only 4 from the UK (maybe 15 from Europe) so I don't think it'll impact the pricing.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
the cheapest CW fares have a 6m AP
I have never seen this before, at least flying eastbound. Is it market specific - I have little interest in flying west from Heathrow? And is it well established or a new thing?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never seen this before, at least flying eastbound. Is it market specific - I have little interest in flying west from Heathrow? And is it well established or a new thing?
Pretty much all main USA routes have 180+ days reasonable pricing in CW - Ł1350-1600 - departures mid week - when used to UuA into F it's a very decent price. Of course can be reduced starting in INV (although ending in LHR is fine...) and can be paid gradually if you add car or hotel …. I am sure you know this having been around here for so long
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're the airline revenue engineer. I thought you might know the answers better than we do.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're the airline revenue engineer. I thought you might know the answers better than we do.
Aye! But it's been a while since I was looking at traditional pricing and revenue management and years since I did any fares benchmarking. I am into other (much more exciting!) revenue stuff these days, which depending on your perspective is either PRM's replacement or it's next generation - perhaps I should change my signature!

My question still stands - is the six month advance purchase to the USA a new thing?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Actually, side question: is there a sale usually in September? Should I wait for my second TATL trip?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My question still stands - is the six month advance purchase to the USA a new thing?
Depends what you mean by new. It's certainly been around for many months now.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends what you mean by new. It's certainly been around for many months now.
Months rather than years always counts as a new thing in aviation. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.