LGW - Flight Information Boards down.

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LGW - Flight Information Boards down.

Surprised this isn't on here already.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-45247499

OK, 'chaos' is perhaps too strong a term, but clearly an outage that will affect a lot of BA flights [and even more Orange ones].
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The image shown would be South Terminal. I wonder if the Orange terminal is also suffering ?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I hope they're rotating the poor buggers writing on those whiteboards. Not a job i'd want. You'd think on such a critical system there's be a back up cable
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Would the BA App not still work and show the gates?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:50 am

I notice on twitter Vodafone is copping the blame.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The image shown would be South Terminal. I wonder if the Orange terminal is also suffering ?

Just checked and its airport wide so the Tangerine Crew, VS etal pax would be affected.

Airlines get their info from Ops so shouldn't be affected so technically airline apps shouldn't be affected it's the pax facing information system that's buggered
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm afraid I'm old enough to remember chalk being extensively used in airports.

I love that whiteboard, and I admire the clear writing despite what must be a stressful environment. In some ways better than the TV screens, at least in the use of colour.

There is a requirement in FT to not just post "bare links" - which could be here today and meaningless tomorrow. So here is a brief extract.

Originally Posted by BBC News online
Staff at Gatwick Airport are having to write flight information on whiteboards because of a technical problem with the airport's digital screens.

Vodafone provides the service, and said a damaged fibre cable was to blame.

"Our engineers are working hard to fix the cable as quickly as possible. This is a top priority for us," it said.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:58 am

The departures section of the airport's website also shows no gate info. I would assume that means airline apps also don't have the details.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Good to see the approach of blaming the supplier is in effect, rather than taking responsibility

Now where have we seen that before......?
Kgmm77 and tynmar like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hope the weekend cleaner didn't also unplug the fibre connection for their vacuum.

Hi Vis time ?
wrp96 and frank_poulankh like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by simons1

Its reported that it was their, Voda's, cable that failed so a fair apportion of blame possibly although as I said i'm surprised there isn't a secondary cable on such a pax impacting system. Fortunately it isn't impacting ability to despatch or land aircraft so that's something. That said there's a limit to how many pax they can allow into the IDL's at any given time but I can't imagine anyone involved ( GAL or the airlines) would send flights half loaded that would start impacting the IDL's capacity. Worse case scenario they could deplane a flight back into the gate lounge and shift a plane to a hard standing to make way for another but I imagine even that's a worse case scenario.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Apologies, CWS ... and thanks for toning down the Thread title!!

From the LGW website ...

UPDATE 13.30: FLIGHT INFORMATION DISPLAYS
Due to an ongoing issue with Vodafone - an IT provider for the airport - our flight information screens are not displaying correctly. Please use the temporary flight boards in the departure lounges or listen for airline flight announcements. We expect Vodafone to resolve the issue soon and would like to apologise to passengers for any inconvenience.

Last edited by T8191; Aug 20, 2018 at 6:44 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BA, JAL
I wish I was there - it would be so exciting.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Yet another shamble of British airports...and my compatriots back home wonder why I choose purposely to not go back to the UK! This would definitely have to be one such reason - the general shenanigans of failures of public transport.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, JAL
For all the negatives, I bet the staff are doing a great job. It's good to have this ability to adapt. We live in an 'over-technologised' world.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.