Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Combining Marriott Rewards and SPG Accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Just found the link is active to merge accounts (though it is failing). https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/merge-my-accounts.mi
It will allow you to combine from SPG to Marriott OR Marriott to SPG. Seems easy and well explained. Thought it was all going to be SPG to Marriott, so that was a surprise.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got "merge failed."

I'm moderately paranoid that they haven't yet updated my status to Platinum Premier.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Any SPG members get to keep their original number? It seems my SPG number got assigned a "new" 9 digit number whereas my original SPG number is 11 digits
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
I got "merge failed."

I'm moderately paranoid that they haven't yet updated my status to Platinum Premier.

Been getting that all night also. I don’t think it will work for at least another 24 hours. They do have all the data correct though, so at least that is a start.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Kacee
I got "merge failed."
I got the same "merge failed" message after trying to merge. However, I also noticed that on each page I now get a message congratulating me on combined my accounts - so it may have "worked" even though I got a failed message. It says that my night and points are combined, however, they are noticeably not - it's still just showing my pre-merger Marriott totals - I'm hoping it sorts itself out with time. On the activity page, there is a note that says "You recently combined accounts and we are transferring all activity - this may take up to 48 hours"

Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ajwright
I got the same "merge failed" message after trying to merge. However, I also noticed that on each page I now get a message congratulating me on combined my accounts - so it may have "worked" even though I got a failed message. It says that my night and points are combined, however, they are noticeably not - it's still just showing my pre-merger Marriott totals - I'm hoping it sorts itself out with time. On the activity page, there is a note that says "You recently combined accounts and we are transferring all activity - this may take up to 48 hours"

I saw the same behavior here, but I can also login to the new SPG app. It gave me
my new(and I assume temp) 9 digit spg account number. The spg account shows my spg activity correctly.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Merge Accounts website now shows "Coming soon" Let the fun begin.
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:12 am

Merge Account -FAQ

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:46 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I am hesitant to do this. I am trying to earn platinum under the old method and don't want to make things less clear than they already are
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
Still see the grayed out "Coming Soon".....
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jonathansullivan
Just found the link is active to merge accounts (though it is failing). https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/merge-my-accounts.mi
It will allow you to combine from SPG to Marriott OR Marriott to SPG. Seems easy and well explained. Thought it was all going to be SPG to Marriott, so that was a surprise.

I also thought it will just be SPG to Marriott and I also thought it will be automatic. But now we have to do the combining of points ourselves?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I believe what really is happening here is that you actually have 2 marriott accounts now (SPG converted to a NEW Marriott). Since they are both "Marriott" you can go either way. We'll know more soon!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
I'll be watching this spot to help me figure out what I'm supposed to do here - since I still have two accounts with two different amounts of points. I thought this was all going to be combined automatically, so it's quite confusing. I'm currently platinum elite, but it's through Marriott originally - don't want to disrupt that....
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by jonathansullivan
I believe what really is happening here is that you actually have 2 marriott accounts now (SPG converted to a NEW Marriott). Since they are both "Marriott" you can go either way. We'll know more soon!

I think that's exactly what happened to me. I have one SPG and one Marriott account, both lifetime platinum before Aug 18. Now I got a new Marriott account for my old SPG account and I'm no longer a lifetime platinum on that account (not even a lifetime silver) even I have 540 nights and 11 yrs as SPG platinum (above the old 500 nights SPG platinum level threshold). It all messes up on my SPG side and I can't get those two accounts to merge (I'm a lifetime PP on my Marriott account). And the call waiting time is ridiculously high as expected (I have been on the SPG platinum line for 27 min now and still waiting...)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, the biggest confusion is the merging part. It seems people are reporting:

- Not merged - and that is the plan for this weekend
- Merged somewhat

I was under the impression that merge would happen this weekend. I never linked my accounts but did do the step to merge them, at least I thought.

I read somewhere just now (I think one of the threads in the SPG Sub-Forum) that they will roll out merge to members gradually the next few days.

The SPG Forum continues to have SPG Lurker support ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.