Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Call from AA, booking cancelled: CX did not confirm segment

Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond

I reserved and paid for two tickets online from LAX to HKG for end of nov (outbound is direct, return stops over NRT). I just received a call from CS desk. Agent said AA cannot complete the ticket. The issue is that the leg btwn HKG and NRT is run by Cathay CX and the ticket couldnt complete. Agent unable to articulate a reason which was surprising (or it was intentional). Flight is available online.

I was told to rebook and figure it out myself. Not exactly the service one expects given the circumstance. SHould be a standard code share inventory.

that said, is AA supposed to honor the fare rate that I had checked out with? Any help is greatly appreciated
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bl393
I reserved and paid for two tickets online from LAX to HKG for end of nov (outbound is direct, return stops over NRT). I just received a call from CS desk. Agent said AA cannot complete the ticket. The issue is that the leg btwn HKG and NRT is run by Cathay CX and the ticket couldnt complete. Agent unable to articulate a reason which was surprising (or it was intentional). Flight is available online.

I was told to rebook and figure it out myself. Not exactly the service one expects given the circumstance. SHould be a standard code share inventory.

that said, is AA supposed to honor the fare rate that I had checked out with? Any help is greatly appreciated
Was the call from CS or EXP Desk? If not EXP Desk, call them and ask for help. They are usually very helpful when things go sideways.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What was the time lapse between your booking and the call? Generally speaking, CX has 72 hours to confirm positive space. If it does not, AA must cancel the ticket. Generally the 72 hours is a non-issue, but if something goes wrong, it could be.

In any event, you really need to call the EXP desk (calling customer service should get you to EXP either because the system recognizes your phone number or when you enter your number). You need the specific reason why.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

how long ago was the booking make?

If the ticket was never issued, then AA is not under any obligation

If the fare shown was an error , then the airline is not obliged to honour it even if tiickeed

What are the details of the booking?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Correct it was booked not ticketed from an online purchase on aa.com

what im hearing is that AA is not obligated under any circumstance to maintaine fare. Now the cheapest i see is $950. To be clear tho, this was a regular fare ticket ($750 each). So not some misprint or errorenous inventory.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

what im hearing is that AA is not obligated under any circumstance to maintaine fare. Now the cheapest i see is $950. To be clear tho, this was a regular fare ticket ($750 each). So not some misprint or errorenous inventory.
Of course you can walk away and accept what has happened, but as advised, CALL THE EXP DESK! They may be able to help you out and a lot better than any FT post.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP

You should absolutely call to (1) Get the specific reason, and (2) Try to have them re-issue the ticket at the original price.

I've had tickets not issue, and be "Pending" for about a week, because IB or CX hadn't confirmed. When I called to have it issued, they said that the particular fare wasn't available, but the EXP agent was able to work with the AA rate desk to have the fare re-constructed at the original price. No guarantee that they'll be able to do it if the specific circumstances in your case dictate otherwise, but worth a shot.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

No dice. Now paying $150 more per ticket for the next closest itineary.

tks for the help but better luck next time. May write to CS to see if I can get gift cert for increased rate across itinearies and inconvenience.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think theres always a note saying something like tickets on airlines other than AA are on a request basis, so yeah, probably not much can be done if CX wouldnt accept the booking for whatever reason.

If its the AA segment on a new booking thats bumping the fare higher (eg, lower inventory class sold out) then they might be more willing/able to work with you to recreate at least part of your original booking.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Would a round-trip LAX -> HKG with no stop over in NRT be acceptable to you? You might be able to request that and see if they will honor the price you booked at.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think theres always a note saying something like tickets on airlines other than AA are on a request basis, so yeah, probably not much can be done if CX wouldnt accept the booking for whatever reason.

If its the AA segment on a new booking thats bumping the fare higher (eg, lower inventory class sold out) then they might be more willing/able to work with you to recreate at least part of your original booking.
Indeed neither the fare nor the ticket itself is guaranteed until issued.

The issue here has nothing to do with AA, but is rather CX's failure to confirm its segment in a timely manner. Nothing AA can do about it either. Perhaps AA will toss OP a few miles or somesuch because he is EXP, but generally speaking all OP will get is a "sorry for inconvenience, but this has nothing to do with AA."
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had a similar situation with a complex itinerary that I was able to cobble together on AA.com involving LAN. When it was finally ticketed the fare was higher than promised. AA eventually gave me a credit for the difference. That was back in 2013, however, when doing right by the customer was not unknown at AA..
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have flown on AA/ One World 5-6 times a year for 11 years to ASIA.

Every time a flight involves Cathay Pacific, ticketing gets screwed up. Fares change from selecting flights to clicking purchase on AA.com

If you are flying through NRT try to book on Japan Airlines.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It's just nuts that in this day and age a customer creates a booking but that it's still a crap-shoot whether or not it actually gets ticketed. For infrequent flyers who don't check on the status of the ticket to prod the right desk to forward it on and get the ticket issued, it's even more ludicrous.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enpremiere
It's just nuts that in this day and age a customer creates a booking but that it's still a crap-shoot whether or not it actually gets ticketed. For infrequent flyers who don't check on the status of the ticket to prod the right desk to forward it on and get the ticket issued, it's even more ludicrous.
The OP received a telephone call to inform of the ticketing issue - there was no need to check on status of ticket and discover that it was still unticketed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.