Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best J class seat, YVR-LHR (with or without connection)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.

I am trying to book a Business class on AC from YVR to LHR and it looks like I either have direct option on 777, or connecting in YYC and then LHR on 787 (there could also be from YYZ).

Which is the best option? Is the 777 business class as good as the updated 787s or is it like the crap high density J class to HK?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by alexbc
I am trying to book a Business class on AC from YVR to LHR and it looks like I either have direct option on 777, or connecting in YYC and then LHR on 787 (there could also be from YYZ).

Which is the best option? Is the 777 business class as good as the updated 787s or is it like the crap high density J class to HK?
Please list your requirements.

Also, do you care about the MLL quality at all?

YVR has a legit international MLL that is brand spanking new and nice.

YYC doesn't have an official international MLL (you would technically use the same domestic MLL, from an MLL perspective).

The 777 and the 787 are both the same Dream Cabin interiors, with slightly different J suite dimensions.
24left likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
As you are ex-YVR, and if you can afford the first day traveling, my preference is early departure YVR-YYZ that arrives in LHR @ 630a - which is 1030p YVR time

and in a pinch YUL route arrives @ 730a or 1130p. PST

have hotel status so usually can get early check-in, so I take Heathrow Express and stay at Paddington Stn - with YYZ routing can be in bed at Paddington at 730a - sleep to about Noon and go to afternoon meeting.

Avoids trying to sleep in a less than par biz seat.

have a great trip

Diabeetus likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Aug 17, 2018 at 4:16 pm Reason: sp
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'm partial to AC 854 which is also a non-stop from YVR.

Fly out at end of day here, and a decent arrival time means you can still have afternoon meetings in/near London. I also prefer the environment of the 787.
skybluesea and Dorian like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by skybluesea
As you are ex-YVR, and if you can afford the first day traveling, my preference is early departure YVR-YYZ that arrives in LHR @ 630a - which is 1030p YVR time

Why on earth would you want to connect in eastern Canada instead of flying direct? It adds a large amount of travel time.

For a nice seat look for some sales and go non stop on BA's A380 in F, you can sometimes get it for a similar price to AC's J. Other times it's crazy expensive though.
arf04 and Dorian like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by alexbc

@alexbc

Please provide your requirements so that we can better serve you (instead of a blanket question that can cover the universe).

Have you seen these master threads that detail ad nauseum seating and quality/comfort?

Seats and Cabins on the B788, B789, and the 777 (3 versions)

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Air Canada plans to refurbish 18 of its 777

Also, as per the others here so far, do you prefer arriving in LHR super early, don't care, prefer late morning arrival, etc.???

Do you like having windows? Don't care?

Do you care about noise near the galleys? Don't care? Or will you be using NC headsets and don't care? Heavy sleeper?

Do you have status? Do you care about being served first? Don't care?

Do you like better air quality or don't care?

Do you just want to get to LHR asap?

Did you consider connecting via YYZ as well in order to take advantage of the SSL, if on a paid business fare? (Aeroplan reward in business doesn't count and neither do upgrades)

Do you need to be closer/have quick access to a lavatory (perhaps you have a health reason or other private reasons)?

etc. etc. etc.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Why on earth would you want to connect in eastern Canada instead of flying direct? It adds a large amount of travel time.

For a nice seat look for some sales and go non stop on BA's A380 in F, you can sometimes get it for a similar price to AC's J. Other times it's crazy expensive though.
I've done this before many times. I have my own personal reasons for doing so.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@alexbc

Please provide your requirements so that we can better serve you (instead of a blanket question that can cover the universe).

Have you seen these master threads that detail ad nauseum seating and quality/comfort?

Seats and Cabins on the B788, B789, and the 777 (3 versions)

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Air Canada plans to refurbish 18 of its 777

Also, as per the others here so far, do you prefer arriving in LHR super early, don't care, prefer late morning arrival, etc.???

Do you like having windows? Don't care?

Do you care about noise near the galleys? Don't care? Or will you be using NC headsets and don't care? Heavy sleeper?

Do you have status? Do you care about being served first? Don't care?

Do you like better air quality or don't care?

Do you just want to get to LHR asap?

Did you consider connecting via YYZ as well in order to take advantage of the SSL, if on a paid business fare? (Aeroplan reward in business doesn't count and neither do upgrades)

Do you need to be closer/have quick access to a lavatory (perhaps you have a health reason or other private reasons)?

etc. etc. etc.

^^^^^ and Thanks
skybluesea and Diabeetus like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@alexbc

As per the master threads, the "HD" versions vs. the non-HD versions of the 777s are quasi-irrelevant to J seating as the dimensions of seats in J on any 777 are the same.

The only thing about the HD is that the galleys are crammed with lavatories both in the forward galley and in between J and PY. I've flown on these 50+ times now on long hauls in J and frankly it makes no difference to me.
skybluesea, Diabeetus and 24left like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by Jagboi

? Explained that prefer to sleep in a bed on arrival at about normal bed time. Plus, with many flights with wifi can spend the Trans-Con working, then make some calls between cnxs.

my overall criteria is end-to-end journey service, and the non-stop often delivers a worse overall outcome, and especially BA which typically leaves +2 hrs after AC 854 with terrible mid-afternoon arrival time.

OP, if I may, consider your overall journey needs first / not just one flight segment

Great voyage to you
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
^^^^^ and Thanks

It's clear that I am just not as discriminating (or maybe as patient) as you guys.

Either that or flying to LHR has become muscle memory and I've gotten really lazy.

Or it's Friday.

Yeah, maybe that. Have a good one all.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
It's clear that I am just not as discriminating (or maybe as patient) as you guys.

Either that or flying to LHR has become muscle memory and I've gotten really lazy.

Or it's Friday.

Yeah, maybe that. Have a good one all.

Subtle points made were that

1. At least 3 threads already exist on the subject of Business Class seats on the 788/9 and the various 777s
2. Some of us are trying to enlighten and encourage people to do a search before posting a thread where answers already exist
3. With slight variations to number of seats and space, and possibly better cabin environment on the 787s for those who care, absolutely agree wit @yyznomad ...not really much difference

And why would you make a stop when the direct flight is available - unless it's double the price.

Also, @Bohemian1 it looks like Friday, but really, who knows.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
And why would you make a stop when the direct flight is available - unless it's double the price.
As per @skybluesea I have my reasons for doing such an itinerary - so @alexbc may or may not have a reason for doing so as well, but we don't know what that is (and maybe it shouldn't matter but at least being in the know can potentially optimize our assistance to him/her).
skybluesea and 24left like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
As someone who used to fly this route a lot (and all the options listed).........

The cabins are so similar forget it, who cares, take the direct and get a full sleep. Stopping in Toronto is a PIA and also the YYZ - LHR flight is so short you can’t eat + get a full night sleep. The direct YVR - LHR you have enough time to eat and sleep and you’re good.
YXUhomebase likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Having done the non-stop ex YVR many times and likely because I can be a bit of an anorak, late October I am heading to London via YYZ cos I wanna try the new SSuite....
Coming home I'll take the nonstop LHR-YVR. Funnily enough I was thinking yesterday what was the best J ex YVR to Europe and I think it has to be AC by far right now. (altho' most often their prices seem to be nuts expensive..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.