Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long phone holds - A lost 'golden' opportunity for BA ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

For the nth time in recent weeks, I have been on hold for 15 mins to get through on the Gold Line. There is always an excuse or explanation, but it is quite clear that phone access to the call centres is not fit for purpose. Although privatised, over 30 years ago, BA still seems to offer the same level of customer support as our cash-strapped government.departments. Rant over (partially at least) ....

But is BA's call queuing system so primitive that it cannot use a recorded message tailored to the number the caller has called into? They have the "Welcome to the Gold" line at the beginning, but all one then gets is a general message extolling the virtues of the EC and suggesting that I should join (when I am calling on the Gold line) and then telling me that ba.com is the answer to all my problems (which it is not, otherwise I would not be wasting my life hanging on to listen to the recording). Why not use the wait time for something productive, such as telling me about a current sale, or new routes that are just starting up, or something relevant to my Gold status which I might not know if I was not an FT geek ? A 'golden' advertising opportunity completely lost. Sad really if it was not so stupid.

This is a good opportunity for me to ventilate another bete noir and see if I can't elicit some support. Recently, every time after the long hold, the call has begun with the CS agent extolling the virtues of the Estore, and me telling them that if they did not have to read out this pointless script their response times would improve. Today I was told that the CS agent remembered my earlier complaints but as I was - to her certain knowledge - the only person who has ever complained about the script (can this really be true ) nothing was likely to change.

So here is my plea: Could others please complain if they resent the long hold times and the time wasted by the Estore script at the end of it? !f you can post on here that you have done so, next time I will be able to tell the CS agent that I have not been a lone voice crying in the wilderness .
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for highlighting all that ... I confess I just put my brain in neutral until I get a human voice, so I've never really registered what goes on!

I shall hold the next Agent to the fire if I get needless/irrelevant bits of script!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:45 am

If the website provided more self-service functionality/actually worked, then calls to Contact Centres would be vastly reduced.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I have never once had any estore stuff recited. I go straight into "can I give you my booking reference". Also don't tend to get enormous hold times. I tend to call mid-afternoon weekdays and occasionally Sunday mornings when I do admin style stuff, I just leave the phone on speaker and do other things until the human arrives.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
telling me that ba.com is the answer to all my problems (which it is not, otherwise I would not be wasting my life hanging on to listen to the recording)
This is the thing that really drives me nuts, not just with BA but the myriad other companies that do it too.

Of course I don't want to call your darn call centre! I'm calling because I can't do what I want to do online, DUH!
Calchas and jfallesen like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
BA should introduce an online 'Live Chat' feature. That would be really cool. I have used this service with other companies and find them great.
origin, T8191 and flygirl68 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Sliver,LH Senator,Emirates Platimium
Good afternoon
Maybe to much Gold members ...
I had the same with many airlines for exemple AA or LH .
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
icegirl,
Given what BA now requires in terms of personal info to even talk to you, I hate to think what info they would require for "Live chat". It would take so long, it might end up in my case as "Chat with the Crematorium"
Both BT and my gas Co offer "live chat". I avoid it as I have other things to do in life - anything other than typing my life story, and my mother's life story.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
icegirl,
Given what BA now requires in terms of personal info to even talk to you, I hate to think what info they would require for "Live chat". It would take so long, it might end up in my case as "Chat with the Crematorium"
Both BT and my gas Co offer "live chat". I avoid it as I have other things to do in life - anything other than typing my life story, and my mother's life story.
I see your point and I suppose there are more complex situations where a call would be better. But depending not just on the FAQ's where they can help people quickly and also stops people having to speak people in remote locations where communication can be an issue for some.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
icegirl,
Live chat once logged in to your exec club should not result in further ID needed

I’d also like a ‘you are number x in the queue’ so I can estimate whether I want to hold or not.

And of course, for the OP, no scripts!
CloudGazer and icegirl like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by icegirl
BA should introduce an online 'Live Chat' feature. That would be really cool. I have used this service with other companies and find them great.
I too would like to see Live chat. I use it with Hilton a lot and it works well. If logged in they usually only ask you to confirm your name. If you spend most of your time on line it is much quicker to use chat than the phone in my opinion. Plus you can email a record of the conversation to yourself with many companies which is very useful.
icegirl, T8191 and origin like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

It would also remove the cost of the call and not having to dial an 03 or 087/4 number either.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FromGVA
I had the same with many airlines for exemple AA or LH .
I'll give AA credit; last time I called, they were able to detect my phone number as connected to a live booking, link the fact that I was OWE and direct me to Platinum Pro line; all when I called the generic 1-800 number.

Hold time was ~10 minutes when they were extremely busy (cancellations due to thunderstorms), but the system had indicated it would be 20-30 mins; and there was an option to hang-up and have them call you when ready (U.S. numbers only it seems though).

Expectations exceeded... can not say the same about any calls within the last 12 months to BAEC.
NYLON Boy and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
It would also remove the cost of the call and not having to dial an 03 or 087/4 number either.
03 numbers shoudn't cost you anything - included within your phone allowance like 01/02/07. If you're going outside that you probably need a new phone plan.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
15 years ago I worked on a call centre project. Back then one of the key criteria for a good call centre was that 80% of calls would be answered within 20 seconds.

Clearly times have moved on...
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.