GUF2 with BA + AA

Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
GUF2 with BA + AA

Hi All.

I'm interested in using my GUF2 on a trip from GLA-LHR-SAN and return. Return is good price and has availability. On the way out there is no BA availability (I believe it is U class they upgrade to) but there is availability in I class (CW) which a travel agent can upgrade into. However, this is where I'm confused......

The outbound flight is GLA-LHR (on BA so okay) then LHR-LAX (on BA so again okay) but the final flight is LAX-SAN on an AA operated flight (BA5603). Is the travel agent able to book me and TWO-EYES and upgrade us, or do all the sectors have to be on BA. I don't want an upgrade on the LAX-SAN sector but wonder if this will prevent me upgrading the other sectors.

Cheers
GC
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Did you look on the main thread? This is a great resource :

Understanding GUF2
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Did you look on the main thread? This is a great resource :

Understanding GUF2

Ooops. I should have said. Yes I did look on the main thread but it was not clear to me what would be the case in this scenario. I got that the TA cant upgrade non-BA flights but this is a BA ticketed flight and I don't need an upgrade on that flight. I've checked that there is I class available from a dummy booking and also the "rules" mentioned on the main thread.

from the dashboard
The TA booking must be on a BA ticket (i.e. one starting 125-xxx). The booking must only contain BA flights and you need to be one of the passengers on the booking.
So it is all on a 125-xxx but my confusion is what is the only contain BA flights. Is BA sold but AA operated an exclusion to upgrading the other flights?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
There is a guide here too

BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread

Q: Can I use the voucher on an itinerary that includes non-BA flights?
With a booking direct with BA this is fine. For a TA booking you cant include non-BA flights. However, there are the occasional reports of a few slipping through where some Travel Agents have managed to apply a GUF to a booking which includes both BA and non-BA flights on BA codeshares.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm out of luck.

The BA only flight is 1400 more expensive. I'll do it with an open jaw and pay the separate leg on a different booking with AA (works out cheaper that way by 100) and do an overnight in LAX in case there are delays. Mrs Cyclops cant rush around and would need a bed on that long flight (medical condition).
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
Sent you a DM
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I have previously investigated options for a travel booking with a GUF2 and they indicated that they could book on AA-operated connecting flights, but that the upgrade would only apply to the BA operated sectors. My recollection was that the connecting flights had to be sold with a BA flight number.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
SAN is only a relatively short drive from LAX anyway (I've done it and the flight is shorter than LGW-BHX would be). Given that you're doing it as an open jaw, I'd seriously considering driving rather than flying - just time it to take advantage of your jet lag and hit the road early the morning after you arrive in LA.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I think I have it all in hand. I'm travelling to an exhibition so my company will cover a lot and my Best Man stays in SAN so Mr Cyclops is coming for a visit. So I really appreciate all the help.

I may even get a limo since the is less than the cost of two people on a flight from LAX to SAN and the flight to LAX is 250 less
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
my experience is that the coding is more important than the metal when you are trying to use a GUF via a TA.

BA code all the way - no problem. foreign code, not all TAs will be able to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.