Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Article: How Sheraton lost its way and Marriott's plans to bring it back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond

Interesting article from Skift about how the decline of Sheraton and Marriott's plans for the brand's future.

A few highlights:
  • Sheraton is Marriott's third-largest fee generator, so it's going to stay around (not surprising)
  • It tried to be a brand that appealed to everyone, but then didn't stand for anything (although I'd argue this is something that most of Marriott's brands non-legacy SPG brands also have a problem with)
  • Starwood didn't have the courage to kick out under-performing Sheratons, so the brand's image declined due to these bad properties (Marriott is changing this as 6,000 rooms have left Sheraton since 2016)
  • Marriott almost didn't buy Starwood because of Sheraton
  • Communal lobby space and a new room design is a key focus for Sheraton going forward
  • Marriott is positioning Sheraton between Delta and Marriott in their full-service brand spectrum

All of my Sheraton stays are fine (number one brand I've stayed at the most, given its relative ubiquity in the SPG system), but I would almost always choose a Westin, LM, or other brand over a Sheraton if price is similar. Although I have to say getting rid of the Shine bath amenities has helped a lot - I hated those.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree about the toiletries.

In general, I consider regular Marriotts (FS) to be below Sheratons. Maybe the reported reluctance to purchase Starwood due to the Sheratons was just a negotiation ploy. Yes there are some bad Sheratons but there are also bad Marriotts and more generally uninspired Marriotts.

I hope the room redesign doesn't mean elimination of desks.
3rdworldresident and darcyt like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Maybe it's just where I've stayed, but the FS Marriotts for my stays have been much nicer than the Sheraton's in general.

And not once in my life have I noticed or cared about the brand of soap and shampoo.
pvn, C17PSGR, dgreen12 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
While there is a lot about Marriott I dont agree with this I do, Sheraton had become so wide ranging you had not idea what to expect that essentially it stood for nothing! There are some amazing Sheraton properties out there but equally some you couldnt pay me to stay at!

If Marriott can kick out the ones that dont deserve to be there and by this tactic make the owners of others than have been simply squeezing every last cent out of thje Sheraton brand while ripping customers off for years to spend money and bring the hotels upto a good standard then it will be a big plus and something that is long overdue! I feel it will also benifit all Sheratons long term as will mean the ones willing tto invest but worried that their money will be wasted by the bad reputation of other Sheratons will now proceed!

About time Sheraton was given a shakeup and the bad ones either got rid off or forced to meet a certain standard!
jalves likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by CPRich
Maybe it's just where I've stayed, but the FS Marriotts for my stays have been much nicer than the Sheraton's in general.

And not once in my life have I noticed or cared about the brand of soap and shampoo.
Yep, same for me. I found Sheraton hotels to be very boring and definitely a notch or two below the FS Marriotts I have stayed at.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich

If Sheraton is getting rid of Shine, that may bring me back right there. Those toiletries are like unwanted time travel to the 1960s.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
If Marriott can nail something down, it's consistency. I've stayed at some tragically dumpy Sheratons but have also stayed at some beautiful ones; what you'd find in the US is not of the same quality as something you'd find in the Middle East, for instance. By having the stones to dump the under-performing hotels [the Sheraton Herndon just became a Courtyard last week] and invest time/money to give Sheraton a distinct identity instead of a nebulous one-size-fits-all approach, I think that the brand can make a comeback. Not sure how I feel about them positioning it above Delta [now there's a brand I don't get] but below Marriott in the classic premium space, but alas, they wouldn't stick Sheraton above their namesake flagship now, would they?

I love their plans for the interior spaces and especially the approach of integrating co-working spaces into the overall public realm [I work in the entrepreneurship space and these spaces are a hot commodity now], although I hope they go easy on the mid-century design theming so as to not muddy the waters with Le Méridien's aesthetic. The design of their new rooms alone, which is supposed to be residential in nature as opposed to the country feel in many Sheratons, is very promising. Before-and-after photos below.

Also, I must echo some of the above comments: the Le Grand Bain bath amenities are EXCELLENT. That nasty Shine stuff stuck around for far too long - good riddance.

khabah

Sheraton brand standard room - before.

Sheraton brand standard room - after.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Room looks nice except for no desk, which is why I left Marriott/Renaissance.

Sherations vary. I love the one in Boston, superb Platinum treatment, suites overlooking the Charles with many big windows. A lounge with OK food but earnestly trying, pleasant staff.

The Sheraton in NY is good for what it is.

Then there is the one in Albuquerque that gave me food poisoning in the late 90s, and was an overall dump. Don't know what it's like now, but I avoided Sheratons for years after!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:34 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I dont know of any Sheraton that Regularly closes Lounges on Weekends with no alternative. Unlike Many Marriotts and Renaissance
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:12 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Mainline777
  • Marriott is positioning Sheraton between Delta and Marriott in their full-service brand spectrum
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I am assuming that it means Delta < Sheraton < Marriott? What are the characteristics of the Delta brand and what makes it below Marriott and Sheraton?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:33 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by khabah
If Marriott can nail something down, it's consistency. I've stayed at some tragically dumpy Sheratons but have also stayed at some beautiful ones; what you'd find in the US is not of the same quality as something you'd find in the Middle East, for instance. By having the stones to dump the under-performing hotels [the Sheraton Herndon just became a Courtyard last week] and invest time/money to give Sheraton a distinct identity instead of a nebulous one-size-fits-all approach, I think that the brand can make a comeback. Not sure how I feel about them positioning it above Delta [now there's a brand I don't get] but below Marriott in the classic premium space, but alas, they wouldn't stick Sheraton above their namesake flagship now, would they?

I love their plans for the interior spaces and especially the approach of integrating co-working spaces into the overall public realm [I work in the entrepreneurship space and these spaces are a hot commodity now], although I hope they go easy on the mid-century design theming so as to not muddy the waters with Le Méridien's aesthetic. The design of their new rooms alone, which is supposed to be residential in nature as opposed to the country feel in many Sheratons, is very promising. Before-and-after photos below.

Also, I must echo some of the above comments: the Le Grand Bain bath amenities are EXCELLENT. That nasty Shine stuff stuck around for far too long - good riddance.

khabah

Sheraton brand standard room - before.

Sheraton brand standard room - after.
Wow! Looks like they managed to double the size of the room!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
Sherations vary. I love the one in Boston, superb Platinum treatment, suites overlooking the Charles with many big windows. A lounge with OK food but earnestly trying, pleasant staff.
I gave that one a shot a month - ago - they stuck me with two queens (when I had booked a king), and I thought the rooms were bland and mediocre, as I find most Sheraton rooms to be.

Not including some of the better int'l ones, I find them to be dumpy in the US, occasionally newer or renovated but still very dated aesthetic-wise (Northbrook, Philly, Chicago) and occasionally there are a few really good ones (Seattle, Nashville IMO).
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by escape4
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I am assuming that it means Delta < Sheraton < Marriott? What are the characteristics of the Delta brand and what makes it below Marriott and Sheraton?
Delta Hotels is a full-service conversion brand, similar to DoubleTree by Hilton. Conversion brands all a hotel owner to rebrand at a lower cost than complying with the full range of brand standards of the primary brands.

The main characteristic should be less consistency.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Jun 25, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Good article - there are some beautiful new Sheratons (mostly in Asia, but even some in Europe e.g. Porto look nice and modern) but the ones in the US are just dreadful.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The "No Desks" thing

Over a year ago there was an article about how Marriott was renovating rooms and removing desks because millennials like to work on their laptops while sitting in bed or on some giant fluffy floor pillow and such.

I find it amusing that someone arbitrarily decided that all business travellers want such a concept, let alone all millennials.

While many companies seem to get excited over the total numbers of millennials, making the assumption that they or any other group want to work on a pillow or in a bed is a pretty sad way to manage a hotel business. There are enough hotel brands out there, some of which appeal to different demographics and that is a good thing. But taking away desks, or even a decent table is just poor business.
Eskimoboy, ysolde, C17PSGR and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.