Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Red Stickers for correct size carry-on in San Diego; a new procedure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

I’m flying San Diego to Toronto (AC 1886, a Rouge A321) and the gate agents are having everyone put their bags in the luggage sizer. Those that fit are given a red sticker while those that don’t fit are checked to the final destination. They insist they will not allow any bags that don’t have the sticker (which is just a red strip that says “Carry On Baggage”). The agent says this is a new procedure that is meant to be universal but he thinks only San Diego is implementing it since he’s never seen those stickers on bags arriving from YYZ or YVR.

Have I missed discussion of this? Is it actually a new procedure? I believe I heard some of the luggage bins are broken on this aircraft so maybe that’s why they are doing it. (Perhaps it’s relevant that on my other flights this week I heard gate agents telling people they needed to size their luggage, though none of them actually enforced it.)
babo likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: *$ Green
It's actually a fairly old rule. 3+ years?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I’m flying San Diego to Toronto (AC 1886, a Rouge A321) and the gate agents are having everyone put their bags in the luggage sizer. Those that fit are given a red sticker while those that don’t fit are checked to the final destination. They insist they will not allow any bags that don’t have the sticker (which is just a red strip that says “Carry On Baggage”). The agent says this is a new procedure that is meant to be universal but he thinks only San Diego is implementing it since he’s never seen those stickers on bags arriving from YYZ or YVR.

Have I missed discussion of this? Is it actually a new procedure? I believe I heard some of the luggage bins are broken on this aircraft so maybe that’s why they are doing it. (Perhaps it’s relevant that on my other flights this week I heard gate agents telling people they needed to size their luggage, though none of them actually enforced it.)

Oooooh, the AC Bag Police are back. lol

IIRC, there is at least one barking mad thread on the subject, including links to .....wait for it...CBC & Global news stories about "disputes" between AC airport employees and pax when bags were forced into the sizers.

Ah, yes, so much fun, so little time.
@TheCanuckian

Do the stickers look like these tags that were created in 2015?

Yes, collectibles
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

They are similar to those, or maybe the same. I didn’t get a close look. I was flying J so assumed (correctly) they wouldn’t hound me about my carry-on which is very reasonably-sized.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It's actually a fairly old rule. 3+ years?
I’m not surprised. But in 150+ AC flights I’ve never seen them enforce it like they did today.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I saw those used somewhere else in the last year or so (maybe FLL?). We did online check-in and just went to security like we normally do but were sent back to the check-in area to get our carry-on tagged. They didn't actually make us use the sizer - just quickly looked at our bags and tagged them.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Well, after enduring a 15 minute delay this morning due to a passenger stridently arguing with the FA that his hockey-equipment sized duffel bag "was ok for carryon the last time I flew" on a Q400, I can only hope this gets enforced across the entire AC network...even if only for a few weeks... although I must admit I took perverse pleasure watching him first try to stuff it into the tiny overhead bins, then pretending that it fit under the seat in front of him while his feet were perched on it and his knees were around his ears...
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian

I’m not surprised. But in 150+ AC flights I’ve never seen them enforce it like they did today.
They did for a while at a few AC hubs. I think I even remember a CBC article. IIRC, it cause people to freak out and eventually everything died off.

But I can see a GA using that to cob a nice amount of bags if they know it will be a mess at boarding.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Consistently inconsistent.

BOS-YHZ a couple of weeks ago, Q400, they had the cart parked at the bottom of the stairs. Seeing that flying bad idea in front of me, I'll gate check a roller bag, but was yelled at when I tried to put my bag on the cart. Of course, it ended up under the seat.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
They did for a while at a few AC hubs. I think I even remember a CBC article. IIRC, it cause people to freak out and eventually everything died off.
It generally died off for J passengers and status passengers, but it never really went away, at least for YYZ based on my travels.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I recall a recent post (different thread) that described AC agents just outside international security area at YYZ with sone sort of scale that had digital readings with size and weight info. I did not see that on my recent flights but perhaps a test?

i once had an AC agen at LHR hassle me about my Briggs carryon (meets sizer requirements but a pain to get in/out as other have pointed out). Looked at my tag and tx and said, “oh, you are flying business. It’s ok then”.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
My carry on still has the red tag from last year. There was a huge push to use them two-three years ago; I haven't seen any enforcement in the last 12 months.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Bartolo
. Looked at my tag and tx and said, “oh, you are flying business. It’s ok then”.
THIS- works in San Diego as well...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canolakid
THIS- works in San Diego as well...
Unfortunately this doesn't work as well when you use an electronic boarding pass and your phone is sitting in your pocket when the enforcement agents come along.

I've since switched back to paper tickets although a comment of "I'm flying in business class" typically does the trick.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Free Agent
True- there is nothing as consistent as AC inconsistency...
longtimeflyin and jc94 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.