Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plan and PRIVACY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Plan and PRIVACY

Joined Mileage Plan last year to build miles. While taking ever caution during enrollment to ensure I opted-out of all communications and partner offers, it seems my privacy settings were disregarded and my information was shared externally. Thus began a steady flow of unwanted mail/offers.

On two separate occasions I contacted both AA and their partners to unsubscribe/delete my account information and stop mailing offers/communications. They finally agreed to delete/inactivate my account as well as notify their partners.

This disregard of my repeated requests to opt-out and cease sharing my information is a sad state of privacy respect. I've never has this issue with the big airlines and should have known better than fly anyone not as reputable. I'll stick with Delta, United, and American from now on - REGARDLESS OF COST.

Double-check your privacy settings (even as AA disregarded mine)!!!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sonotlucky
Joined Mileage Plan last year to build miles.
On two separate occasions I contacted both AA and their partners to unsubscribe/delete my account information and stop mailing offers/communications.
Double-check your privacy settings (even as AA disregarded mine)!!!
A little confusing here. You're saying that Alaska shared your information with American and you're getting e-mail from American and their partners? How do you know American got the info from Alaska?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Double-check your privacy settings (even as AA disregarded mine
I've opted in to get email from them since I like finding about fare sales. I also have a commercial relationship with them as a Mileage Plan member of reasonably long standing, so I would expect email from them that relates to my relationship. As far as I know, my email from them complies with the CAN-SPAM act. It's rather hard from your complaint for me to understand what you're complaining about. Could you be more specific? Are you complaining that you were sent emails about Mileage Plan? Were you sent advertising emails? What exactly?

Originally Posted by tom911
A little confusing here. You're saying that Alaska shared your information with American and you're getting e-mail from American and their partners? How do you know American got the info from Alaska?
My guess is the poster doesn't speak fluent FlyerTalk-ese as a new poster, and doesn't realize the IATA code for Alaska is AS and American is AA, and is using "AA" as an abbreviation for "Alaska Airlines" is a bit confusing since American is typically abbreviated "AA" in this forum.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 20, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

This post is completely in reference to AS (sorry fat-fingered AA).

I opted out of all comm/offers when enrolling with AS Mileage Plan. I began receiving partner offers and contacted AS (and the partner who sent the offer) on Apr 19 to ensure I was corrected opted-out/unsubscribed on both sides. AS indicated an online problem may not have properly saved my settings, but by 6 weeks all comms/offers would stop.

Two months later I continue to receive partner offers. AS has no explanation, and I demanded they inactivate/delete my account.

Just curious if other AS members had their privacy settings disregarded.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I had the opposite problem. Took forever to finally get opted in to offers.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I opted out of all comm/offers when enrolling with AS Mileage Plan. I began receiving partner offers and contacted AS (and the partner who sent the offer) on Apr 19 to ensure I was corrected opted-out/unsubscribed on both sides. AS indicated an online problem may not have properly saved my settings, but by 6 weeks all comms/offers would stop.

Two months later I continue to receive partner offers. AS has no explanation, and I demanded they inactivate/delete my account.

Me? No.

Enjoy UA, AA and DL, regardless of cost.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So basically you're just upset that you received some advertising emails and/or postal mail? Just delete/mark as spam the emails and toss the mailers in the trash can if you don't want them.

I don't think it's clear that AS was doing anything malicious - it sounds like there was/is a technical issue that perhaps was causing the changes not to take effect.

Frankly, if you're trying to build miles in AS or any other program, opting out of offers is the exact opposite of what you want to do. Opting in for offers is how you find out about bonus offers and other specials, sometimes even targeted offers.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

No, but as stated, I have an ongoing business relationship and actually want them to email me things. I’m not about to strand that. Rather hard to put the genie back in the bottle once your email was apparently erroneously added though. Are the partners honoring your unsubscribe requests? There should be links for that in the emails you are getting.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
They finally agreed to delete/inactivate my account as well as notify their partners.
Did you ever accrue any Alaska miles? What happened to those when you deleted your account? Just writing them off?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA PP, Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You created pointless communication in this forum to complain about pointless communication in your mailbox.

Okay.
84fiero, PABE, jinglish and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.