Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag police

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Bag police

Currently sitting one row behind Exit row OSL-LHR. Late arriving passenger in that row has trouble finding space in overhead locker. The woman already in the same row starts playing Bag Police and begins by announcing that since exit row must be kept clear, pax with bags (quite large bags) nearby who have filled the lockers will have to take them and place them in front in the floor. People understandably beginning to get annoyed with her and I finally told her to let the CC sort it as it’s not her job and there will be space in other areas. It’s not even her bag for crying out loud. She gets very cross, quietly calls me a dick and then denies saying it when I question her aloud. Almost a DYKWIA. She’s now sitting quietly with husband after peeing off a few of us - oh and CC amazingly found space.
nancypants and Newbtravelle like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Currently sitting one row behind Exit row OSL-LHR. Late arriving passenger in that row has trouble finding space in overhead locker. The woman already in the same row starts playing Bag Police and begins by announcing that since exit row must be kept clear, pax with bags (quite large bags) nearby who have filled the lockers will have to take them and place them in front in the floor. People understandably beginning to get annoyed with her and I finally told her to let the CC sort it as it’s not her job and there will be space in other areas. It’s not even her bag for crying out loud. She gets very cross, quietly calls me a dick and then denies saying it when I question her aloud. Almost a DYKWIA. She’s now sitting quietly with husband after peeing off a few of us - oh and CC amazingly found space.
Maybe it‘s an age thing but I feel it‘s not only the airlines which are in a race to the bottom.
PAL62V, T8191, haroon145 and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:22 pm

There's always more space.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

And the best part just happened. After making it very clear to me and everyone that she knows all about exit rows (I assume she travels a real lot....) she has just been told to take off her handbag and place it in the overhead locker.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MFCC
There's always more space.
Quite. The way people use the lockers is quite staggeringly inefficient sometimes. The lockers go quite a long way back to the fuselage, and they are often left empty. Not to mention the half full lockers invariably found around row 20. With careful positioning and lining up with other items, issues like this should be rapidly resolved.
MFCC, mjh0 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’m sorry this thread has made me laugh more than the Stanstead thread. I’d love to have seen her reaction if she and her husband were in 12A and 12C and someone came up and asked to sit in 12B,
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I think we all know what the real problem is with people having their bag overhead.... Not having it overhead so they can grab it on the way off the plane. If it's behind them, the attitude is that might as well have it in the hold...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I bet she’ll unbuckle her seat belt before the sign has gone off, and will then be standing in the aisle for 5 minutes while the jetway crawls to the aircraft...
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA
I would absolutely love a 'Bag Police' official badge to wear in situations like this. It could give me a real air of authority, in the event that I choose to offer my fellow passengers any unwanted advice during the journey. I propose a similar 'Boarding Queue Police' badge, which I could display when patrolling the gate.
nivsy, PAL62V, stewaran and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Almost a DYKWIA.
First time I've ever seen "definitely" spelled "a-l-m-o-s-t."
Pascoe, glennhaak, PAL62V and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Thomathy
I would absolutely love a 'Bag Police' official badge to wear in situations like this. It could give me a real air of authority, in the event that I choose to offer my fellow passengers any unwanted advice during the journey. I propose a similar 'Boarding Queue Police' badge, which I could display when patrolling the gate.
Saw this and thought of you...

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 20, 2018 at 3:39 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I was on a LHR-GLA flight the other day and an older lady was struggling with her bag. no-one would help her so I asked the AA plat (judging by his tags) to let me out to help her and he was grumpy he was being disturbed. I'd seen her a bit confused at the gate when the GA were telling her about dropping her bag on the jetty. So there she was, a very confused old lady (clear signs to me of early dementia), unable to lift her bag, and I got out to offer. I asked her the seat (21F) she said while at row 4 and I took her bag down for her. All I could hear being muttered was. OMG she has hold tags and .... moan, moan, moan. Not a let me help you or are you okay.

Mentioned to the CSD the reason the tags were on and to keep a wee eye on her. He couldn't have been nicer to her and fully understood. Slightly OT. :-)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I was on a LHR-GLA flight the other day and an older lady was struggling with her bag. no-one would help her so I asked the AA plat (judging by his tags) to let me out to help her and he was grumpy he was being disturbed. I'd seen her a bit confused at the gate when the GA were telling her about dropping her bag on the jetty. So there she was, a very confused old lady (clear signs to me of early dementia), unable to lift her bag, and I got out to offer. I asked her the seat (21F) she said while at row 4 and I took her bag down for her. All I could hear being muttered was. OMG she has hold tags and .... moan, moan, moan. Not a let me help you or are you okay.

Mentioned to the CSD the reason the tags were on and to keep a wee eye on her. He couldn't have been nicer to her and fully understood. Slightly OT. :-)
I suspect when the bag got tagged she was told something like „leave it at the front“. In her confused state, perhaps she was doing just that. Glad to see that chivalry is not dead.
Tottie66 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

I suspect when the bag got tagged she was told something like „leave it at the front“. In her confused state, perhaps she was doing just that. Glad to see that chivalry is not dead.
She was. I was at the front of group1 and she was told 4-5 times. It rung alarms with me that she needed to be told it 4-5 times (My research was on neurodegenerative disease in my former life). Then on the plane she was confused about where the seat number was and what the letters meant. A lady in CE did show her but it didn't register.

We will all be old one day and every little bit of help goes a long way. The AA platinum was grumpy that he was asked to move to let me out. Then he was making grumpy comments about BOB. The CC said to him as she was handing me the cup of tea I paid via avios. You can put your stuff on here (the middle seat) It is blocked for a gold member (as she handed me the card with a wink). He was one of the people I see a lot that they think status means a license to be rude. :-)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
That looks like classic early signs of dementia to me (my mum passed away due to this a few years back). It's a fairly callous world we live in in general these days and I think the elevated stress levels that flying elicits in some people (ie those wierdos who aren't simply ridiculously happy to be on a plane regardless of destination) simply brings out the worst.

Plus of course some people are just @rseh0les.
SpudOz and Dambus like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.