Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded Due to Equipment Change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Downgraded Due to Equipment Change

My flight tomorrow was originally booked into Premium Select on the A350, but I got an email of a seat change and when I looked into it, it looks like there was an equipment swap to a 777. I'm probably just going to go on the flight anyway in C+, which of course is definitely not PS, because my schedule isn't too flexible this time around.

What kind of compensation should I be expecting and asking for? Obviously I originally paid more for the PS seat and now get essentially an economy seat.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Where are you flying? PS is available to both Asia and Europe. I would call in and ask if they would be able to upgrade you. A 777 should have more J seats if memory serves then an A350.

If not able to give J, and no other options you like for routing you should get both a refund in fare difference, plus a $200 voucher for downgrade.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where are you flying? PS is available to both Asia and Europe. I would call in and ask if they would be able to upgrade you. A 777 should have more J seats if memory serves then an A350.

If not able to give J, and no other options you like for routing you should get both a refund in fare difference, plus a $200 voucher for downgrade.
Looks like the DTW-PVG flight was downgraded to a 777. It looks like J is sold out even with 37 seats so no hope there. I would see if they could re-route you through ICN.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sunday and Monday DL275 /DL276 have been downgraded to a 777.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Looks like the DTW-PVG flight was downgraded to a 777. It looks like J is sold out even with 37 seats so no hope there. I would see if they could re-route you through ICN.
DTW-PVG is currently alternating between a 359 and a 777. There was no downgrade.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
DTW-PVG is currently alternating between a 359 and a 777. There was no downgrade.
You are right, I just noticed this, I wonder what caused the downgrade on DL275? I’m showing J2 on DL275 tommorow so mabye you could have luck.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

I'm on 276 and looks like there's maybe one J left? I haven't called yet, but you'd really think an up to J is at all likely? Seems like a humongous stretch. A voucher and a partial refund doesn't sound too bad. At least it looks like I'll get to my final destination on time, which is what matters for me in this case.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BluQat
I'm on 276 and looks like there's maybe one J left? I haven't called yet, but you'd really think an up to J is at all likely? Seems like a humongous stretch. A voucher and a partial refund doesn't sound too bad. At least it looks like I'll get to my final destination on time, which is what matters for me in this case.
In this case yes. This isn't C+ and being moved to regular Y. This is an actual cabin downgrade. Could also try to NRT or PEK and connect on MU to PVG.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:06 pm

In this case yes. This isn't C+ and being moved to regular Y. This is an actual cabin downgrade. Could also try to NRT or PEK and connect on MU to PVG.
OP is on DL276 from NRT-DTW, not DTW-PVG.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I would ask for fare difference between Y and W, plus $200.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

OP is on DL276 from NRT-DTW, not DTW-PVG.
Oops. Got confused with all the talk about PVG and then no mention of destination when DL276 got mentioned. Advice still works in reverse. Just depends how OP much wants PS. 3 to 5 hour additional time through China or S. Korea VS non-stop. I'd ask for the J seat and if no, ask about connecting in ICN, and lastly take the downgrade comp.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:15 pm

Oops. Got confused with all the talk about PVG and then no mention of destination when DL276 got mentioned. Advice still works in reverse. Just depends how OP much wants PS. 3 to 5 hour additional time through China or S. Korea VS non-stop. I'd ask for the J seat and if no, ask about connecting in ICN, and lastly take the downgrade comp.
I agree with this and this is what I would do but the OP stated that they had a tight schedule so I think routing through ICN is out of the question and should either hope for an UG to J or take the difference in fare + $200. I'm surprised DL was able to fill 4 J seats within a couple of hours of the swap (assuming that its J1 as the OP stated and the original A350 was already full in J)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I agree with this and this is what I would do but the OP stated that they had a tight schedule so I think routing through ICN is out of the question and should either hope for an UG to J or take the difference in fare + $200. I'm surprised DL was able to fill 4 J seats within a couple of hours of the swap (assuming that its J1 as the OP stated and the original A350 was already full in J)
Could also be J1 is due to some other PS passengers moving up or GUC clearing .
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

I called and asked about J and the agent was shocked and said that to get it looked overbooked by 30+. Either some kind of system confusion from the equipment swap or there's going to be quite a day of hell for the poor gate agent. She recommended I contact Delta after my trip to get the difference in Y and W. I just got an email for $500 voucher too. Fingers crossed no troubles on getting home then everything will have turned out great for me!
Mrp Alert and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might be that DL just waitlisted all the PS pax for D1 seats and these aren't actual confirmed D1 bookings? Can you bring up the D1 upgrade/waitlist and see if your name is on it? The 777 has more D1 seats than the A350, so simply moving the confirmed D1 pax on the A350 to the 777 should not result in it being overbooked by 30.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.