Search

"Upfaring" fees?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat., AC Alt. E50+, AP DD; BA Gold, OW Emerald
"Upfaring" fees?

Hi All,

I upfared a number of flights about two weeks ago. There was no charge for staying on the same flight and switching from Tango to comfort other than the fare difference. In fact it was an agent who mentioned it as I was trying to maximize my credits and reducing add on fees.

Today I called and the agent said I had to pay my 25.00 change fee (61 days out), she was kind and offered to confirm with her Supervisor. She did and they said that they only waive the change fee for change of cabin.

Does anyone have some experience with this?

Thanks,

Paul
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Try HUCA, there really shouldn't be a change fee for this, if you're not changing flight or anything except buying a higher fare.
pkdi likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Edit: this is wrong; disregard

The official policy requires a cabin change to waive the fee.

Generally, you won't be charged it for going to a higher fare class, but that's not policy.
pkdi likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Apr 22, 2018 at 2:55 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Try HUCA, there really shouldn't be a change fee for this, if you're not changing flight or anything except buying a higher fare.
thanks for the response, I’ll do that next time. Too me a few to get Hang Up and Call Again. Lol. Works wonders with AP
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The official policy requires a cabin change to waive the fee.

Generally, you won't be charged it for going to a higher fare class, but that's not policy.

good to know. Thanks for responding
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27576115-post20.html

No charge should apply. 24left provides this and I thought I would play it forward.
quantumofforce and 24left like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27576115-post20.html

No charge should apply. 24left provides this and I thought I would play it forward.
Interesting.

I'd note that it doesn't mention Comfort (for obvious reasons), and wonder if that could be the issue here.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:42 am

Interesting.

I'd note that it doesn't mention Comfort (for obvious reasons), and wonder if that could be the issue here.
Possibly. But I would bet good money the agent just didn’t know how to do it or what the policy is. I went through three agents and two TAs who were equally ignorant of the rules in the incident that had 24left coming to my rescue. But aside from that you are right in that the new fare classes are not mentioned and that as a result ACPedia could probably use an update. Agents aren’t perfect and as fares change it gets harder for everyone.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:54 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
A related question that's been in the back of my mind for a while - does the waiving of an upfare charge apply to tix purchased through a TA/OTA?

I have to book all of my corporate travel via an OTA and have been occasionally tempted to upfare some domestic longhaul. But I wasn't sure if I could call AC and do that in this case. AC seems to tix not booked through them as lesser citizens to some extent.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
I just upfared ("Tango" to Comfort) a couple of flights a few days ago without any change fees
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
A related question that's been in the back of my mind for a while - does the waiving of an upfare charge apply to tix purchased through a TA/OTA?

I have to book all of my corporate travel via an OTA and have been occasionally tempted to upfare some domestic longhaul. But I wasn't sure if I could call AC and do that in this case. AC seems to tix not booked through them as lesser citizens to some extent.
In this case, it is highly likely that the ticket cannot be changed or modified except by your TA. Sometimes AC will do it (but they probably shouldn't.) While the file is locked to your TA, it is only the TA that can change it. Until T-24 at which point the airline can do with it as it wants (and so can you). I usually just have my corporate TA make the change (update) and pay their fee too out of my own pocket.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by ridefar
I usually just have my corporate TA make the change (update) and pay their fee too out of my own pocket.
Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting.

I've confirmed with AC that the policy remains the same subsequent to the introduction of Comfort.

Evidently the staffer and the supervisor to which the OP spoke both either failed to look up the policy or misinterpreted it.
pkdi likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I've confirmed with AC that the policy remains the same subsequent to the introduction of Comfort.

Evidently the staffer and the supervisor to which the OP spoke both either failed to look up the policy or misinterpreted it.
I'm pretty sure I've heard the same thing before though, so it makes me wonder if there are conflicting policies out there.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I'm pretty sure I've heard the same thing before though, so it makes me wonder if there are conflicting policies out there.
Or there are multiple call centre agents and supervisors who "either failed to look up the policy or misinterpreted it"
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.