Wiki Posts
Search

DL, WN fare war between BNA-ATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
DL, WN fare war between BNA-ATL

BNA is my home base, so it's been encouraging to see DL expand capacity at all their major hubs over the last few years.....however, I've even noticed that there's an ongoing far/capacity war going on since WN announced their 5 times daily service between their focus airport at BNA and operating base at ATL starting in August.

WN initially went to market with $19 one way fares, and is currently sitting around $70-$80. DL has responding by adding 757-200 aircraft on what is otherwise an MD-88 route, and a price point of $99 each way. And they've added that aircraft either bookending or at the same time as WN's departures to ATL (on 6 of DL's 11 daily flights).

For now, it looks like that is only during the fall months, as MD-88's are scheduled in Jan/Feb 2019. From my perspective, that route needs competition. I terminated a flight at CSG recently because it was $300 cheaper than the $750 RT fare between BNA-ATL (was traveling to Macon, and it only added ~20 minutes of drive time).
Also, the 757 aircraft will be neat, and will be the 2nd largest that regularly comes through BNA (after BA's 787 accompanying the direct flight to LHR starting in May). Anyone know of a shorter route that DL flies a 757 on?? BNA/ATL would be 214 miles & 35 minutes.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Last edited by dafunk10; Apr 21, 2018 at 11:05 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:52 am

Don’t be shocked to see that one switch back to an M88 by the time the 757 is scheduled to start. For now, I have a feeling they are going to gauge how well it sells at the new price point and in seeing how they fair (and fare) against WN.

If the 757 is still scheduled within 45 days or so...then you can be much more confident it’ll actually operate. Still, nice to see DL has some competition in a price gouged market for a change...
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I wish they were fighting over this route last week. $1100 for an ATL-BNA RT.

I considered driving but long days/late nights would have made the 4.5 hr trip moderately unsafe.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Buy all of the Southwest trips you can use. No change fees - fare is usable in the name of the purchaser if cancelled before flight departure.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/f...formation.html
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
I wish they were fighting over this route last week. $1100 for an ATL-BNA RT.

I considered driving but long days/late nights would have made the 4.5 hr trip moderately unsafe.
As OP noted, WN flights do not start until August. Until then, you can expect DL to continue to extract a premium on short notice trips that don't include a Saturday night stay. A roundtrip K fare that requires a Saturday night stay and with no advance purchase requirement is about half the price ($548) of the $1100 you paid for your no advance required one-way M fares. The cheapest one-way DL fares currently on this route are $189 T fares that have a 30-day advance purchase requirement (the matching BE fare is $29 cheaper). Once WN starts, DL has $99 one-way V fares with 21-day advance requirement (still $29 fare differential for BE).

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 21, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I remember when NW would run 75's through BNA from Detroit. After the merger it went to a steady supply of regional jets, including one particularly bad flight on an ERJ-145, where we threaded some severe storms to land in DTW and then sat on the taxiway as a major storm rolled over us, rocking the plane like a toy (luckily on the ground...) I was never more sure I was going to die than on that descent and subsequent sit on the taxiway.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Buy all of the Southwest trips you can use. No change fees - fare is usable in the name of the purchaser if cancelled before flight departure.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/f...formation.html
Huh? All you're doing is buying WN credit. If the new flights you want cost more, you still pay the fare difference.

Originally Posted by LBJ
As OP noted, WN flights do not start until August. Until then, you can expect DL to continue to extract a premium on short notice trips that don't include a Saturday night stay. A roundtrip K fare that requires a Saturday night stay and with no advance purchase requirement is about half the price ($548) of the $1100 you paid for your no advance required one-way M fares. The cheapest one-way DL fares currently on this route are $189 T fares that have a 30-day advance purchase requirement (the matching BE fare is $29 cheaper). Once WN starts, DL has $99 one-way V fares with 21-day advance requirement (still $29 fare differential for BE).
Oh yeah, totally understand. Mine was purchased less than 24 hours before departure, so not really making any comparison other than maybe if it was already August and DL had some competition, I could have paid $800 instead of $1100.

This was more just me reading the thread and going "Hey! I just flew that route!"
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I did notice another nice part of the WN BNA ATL service: When looking at taking WN from BNA to Florida (MCO, TPA, JAX, FLL) there still are some non stops, but also quite a few choices through ATL in the fall instead of MDW. I would rather connect in ATL than MDW when flying to Florida (if I can't swing the non stops).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by dafunk10
BNA is my home base, so it's been encouraging to see DL expand capacity at all their major hubs over the last few years.....however, I've even noticed that there's an ongoing far/capacity war going on since WN announced their 5 times daily service between their focus airport at BNA and operating base at ATL starting in August.

WN initially went to market with $19 one way fares, and is currently sitting around $70-$80. DL has responding by adding 757-200 aircraft on what is otherwise an MD-88 route, and a price point of $99 each way. And they've added that aircraft either bookending or at the same time as WN's departures to ATL (on 6 of DL's 11 daily flights).

For now, it looks like that is only during the fall months, as MD-88's are scheduled in Jan/Feb 2019. From my perspective, that route needs competition. I terminated a flight at CSG recently because it was $300 cheaper than the $750 RT fare between BNA-ATL (was traveling to Macon, and it only added ~20 minutes of drive time).
Also, the 757 aircraft will be neat, and will be the 2nd largest that regularly comes through BNA (after BA's 787 accompanying the direct flight to LHR starting in May). Anyone know of a shorter route that DL flies a 757 on?? BNA/ATL would be 214 miles & 35 minutes.
GRR<->DTW usually a 757 once a day (usually the 6:30 AM to DTW), that is only 120 miles and 22 minutes.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876

GRR<->DTW usually a 757 once a day (usually the 6:30 AM to DTW), that is only 120 miles and 22 minutes.
JFK-PHL at 92 miles to position the 757 that operates PHL-LHR, though I have to imagine that flight will be downgraded once PHL-LHR is cut in May.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

JFK-PHL at 92 miles to position the 757 that operates PHL-LHR, though I have to imagine that flight will be downgraded once PHL-LHR is cut in May.
yup, just checked...
75S on April 30, CRJ9 on May 1....
dang... from lie-flat seats to regional. Also...lie flats on a 93 mile flight? Do you even have time? Lol
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
Huh? All you're doing is buying WN credit. If the new flights you want cost more, you still pay the fare difference.
Perhaps one has sufficient quality of intellect to buy flights on likely travel dates. If so, one gets a cheap flight on Southwest. If not, one gets a Southwest credit - or a $200 change fee on Delta. This is not a difficult choice.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Good to see some at least lower fares! Having moved to Bna two years ago, I have been appalled at the highway robbery fare in and out...and my clients balk too!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Don’t be shocked to see that one switch back to an M88 by the time the 757 is scheduled to start. For now, I have a feeling they are going to gauge how well it sells at the new price point and in seeing how they fair (and fare) against WN.

If the 757 is still scheduled within 45 days or so...then you can be much more confident it’ll actually operate. Still, nice to see DL has some competition in a price gouged market for a change...

oh, yeah....I'm expecting the likelihood they keep 757's on 6 of those flights (or even less) is very very slim
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by boss315
Good to see some at least lower fares! Having moved to Bna two years ago, I have been appalled at the highway robbery fare in and out...and my clients balk too!
How do you define highway robbery. BNA has been historically one of the cheapest markets out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.