QUESTION: using my Delta Miles

Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
QUESTION: using my Delta Miles

Hi all, I have roughly 500K of unused Delta Miles right now. I'm thinking about booking a flight to Japan. Looks like it would use 80K of my miles, which is no problem.

But my concern is if I would book with miles, I wouldn't accrue any travel miles that would help me with my 2019 Delta status.

So, would I be better off to:
a)book with miles
b)not book with miles
c)is there another option that I should look into?

any advice would be helpful, and thank you!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Depends on the cash price, and whether you're willing to pay. There's no third-option, other than pay with miles, which is a terrible deal (each mile is worth a penny).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Apply for the Delta Amex card, you can use your miles to pay 100 dollars is 1000 miles. You will earn miles towards status that way using your miles. Each mile may be worth a penny but you get miles refunded the miles you will travel plus any bonuses.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
Depends on the cash price, and whether you're willing to pay. There's no third-option, other than pay with miles, which is a terrible deal (each mile is worth a penny).
I would not so cavalierly dismiss PWM as a poor choice. On a longer trip where you can generate significant MQM's on a PWM ticket (vs. none on an award ticket), it can be worth considering if you need the MQM's to make a particular status level. I think most here would value 12K MQM's as worth at least $600 as that's about what you would pay for them with an MR. There's also the additional time and expense of MR'ing above the fare cost itself.
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Apply for the Delta Amex card, you can use your miles to pay 100 dollars is 1000 miles. You will earn miles towards status that way using your miles. Each mile may be worth a penny but you get miles refunded the miles you will travel plus any bonuses.
I wish! But I think you’re off by an order of magnitude - $100 = 10K miles.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
yeah I am off by a 0 sorry but I think its a decent offer, if you factor in you're getting miles back.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sevillas
Hi all, I have roughly 500K of unused Delta Miles right now. I'm thinking about booking a flight to Japan. Looks like it would use 80K of my miles, which is no problem.

But my concern is if I would book with miles, I wouldn't accrue any travel miles that would help me with my 2019 Delta status.

a)book with miles
b)not book with miles

I guess 3rd option is buying delta gift cards from the skymiles shop and use that to buy your ticket, thus earning MQMs and MQDs. But the miles to $ conversion in the GC purchase is not that great.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:07 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat

a)book with miles
b)not book with miles

Another trick is to see how much each one way is...use miles for the most expensive and cash for the least expensive. That way you stretch your current miles further and earn 50% of the usual miles.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LBJ
I would not so cavalierly dismiss PWM as a poor choice. On a longer trip where you can generate significant MQM's on a PWM ticket (vs. none on an award ticket), it can be worth considering if you need the MQM's to make a particular status level. I think most here would value 12K MQM's as worth at least $600 as that's about what you would pay for them with an MR. There's also the additional time and expense of MR'ing above the fare cost itself.
Also many instances (albeit mostly domestic, from what I've found) where PWM is cheaper than a pure award tickets.

If you have a glut of RDM and need MQM, PWM can be a good option. RDM aren't actually worth anything just sitting in your account - you have to redeem them somehow and not everyone is looking for/able to use the 3+ (or more) CPM deals/routes.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:48 pm

a)book with miles
b)not book with miles

Unless you have something you need these miles for, like a big family trip booking multiple people ... then I would seriously spend these miles soon. Not saying take trips you don't need / want, but uhh, I would not feel comfortable with that amount of miles sitting, especially with Delta.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Unless you have something you need these miles for, like a big family trip booking multiple people ... then I would seriously spend these miles soon. Not saying take trips you don't need / want, but uhh, I would not feel comfortable with that amount of miles sitting, especially with Delta.
You might want to vomit if you knew how many miles I have.

Originally Posted by LBJ
I would not so cavalierly dismiss PWM as a poor choice.
I fairly often need a few segments on top of work for DM and PWM is invaluable in getting there.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
You might want to vomit if you knew how many miles I have.

I fairly often need a few segments on top of work for DM and PWM is invaluable in getting there.
I'll happily take some off your hands so that no one has to vomit.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
How much are the cash tickets; in other words how much are your 80,000 miles worth? How much do you use the benefits of status? These are the questions you have to ask; I decided (on AA) to redeem my miles and lose status for 2020 because I was buying business class either way, so I saved $4600 which can buy me a lot of checked baggage and AA's version of C+ in 2020 (thus also restoring my priority boarding).

As so many others have mentioned, if the value is close to $0.01/mile, then go for the Amex/PWM approach.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LBJ
It's still a poor value. If you need the MQMs, pay cash for the ticket. Then use the miles for something else with a much higher value - international premium cabin travel, one-ways where the mileage price is cheap relative to the cash price, that sort of thing. People who are flush with miles may spend them in ways that sacrifice value, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by javabytes
It's still a poor value. If you need the MQMs, pay cash for the ticket. Then use the miles for something else with a much higher value - international premium cabin travel, one-ways where the mileage price is cheap relative to the cash price, that sort of thing. People who are flush with miles may spend them in ways that sacrifice value, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
What if someone doesn't have any near-term need for any of those better-value options? There isn't one absolute answer here and only OP can make the value decision for him/herself.

Due to personal circumstances I haven't been able to take a big intl vacation for the past 18 months, and any work trips I'm on I am required to pay cash. So I think PWM and collecting MQM is an excellent value and the best choice for me on the couple of personal trips I've been taking, especially since the straight award price is comparable.

I'd much rather have a bigger pile of cash saved up for no particular purpose than a bigger pile of airline miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.