Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hearing more of "No BoB Catered" on Short(er) flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

As 1K who files plenty of regional flights and short hauls, I've seen a trend over the last month of being told more often that they don't have any snacks being offered, and flight attendants providing the absolute bare minimal service (if they leave their seat).

Couple routes:
-Flew LAX-SFO - was told since the flight was "so short" - no snacks when I asked for anything (gummy bears, chocolate pretzels, snack box). Didn't want to argue on what a "short" flight really is.
-ORD-GRR - Flight attendant didn't even serve water or bother to get up; no announcement;
-ORD-YYZ - No snacks
-GRR-IAH (almost 3 hours in an e145) - no snacks
-IAH-QRO - Was told no snacks, but was given a drink.

Before all this, I flew ORD-AZO (even shorter then GRR) and the FA, bless her, did a full beverage service and got me a snack.That flight was maybe 25 minutes. ORD-FNT as well, I've never had issues getting a snack.

Does anyone know if flights are being stocked less? I don't want to say FA's are being lazy, but it sure seems like on a lot of these shorter routes I've been on, the service is about as minimal as possible (mainly Air Wisconin flights it seems). I know the snacks aren't much, but they do have some pretty nice options when they are available, and I think it's a good benefit for being 1K.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yes, I have noticed it. Many times I have been told no snacks on UAX planes.

Additionally, I just posted in the Let's Eat thread, that the snack basket on a CR7 this week offered only economy pretzels, economy stroopwaffle, or the small bag of dried fruit mix. No chips, no bananas, no cookies, etc. From my view of the cart, looked like it was stocked that way by catering.

There have been many reports scattered over several threads about a general lowering of inventory boarded on planes. A couple weeks ago, my first 3 liquor drink choices were out. FA actually pulled the tray out of the cart to show me what was left to pick from.

I would wager this is another wide-spread cost cutting move.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Interesting experiences. Are you flying in F or E/E+? On LAX-SFO/SFO-LAX they do not cater snack boxes, I have asked many many times going as far back as 2016. Was never able to get one then, don't expect to be able to get one now (I haven't asked in the past year though).

My experiences this month:
LAX - SFO / SFO - LAX in F; Snack basket & drinks (water, etc)
ORD - YYZ in F; Snack basket & drinks (water, etc).

*Snack basket = normal assortment of cookies, bananas, chips, biscoti, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got 'short flight — no snack box' on YUL-EWR. Not sure if that's normal. I had just gotten one on BTV-IAD, which is only 100mi longer.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Interesting experiences. Are you flying in F or E/E+? On LAX-SFO/SFO-LAX they do not cater snack boxes, I have asked many many times going as far back as 2016. Was never able to get one then, don't expect to be able to get one now (I haven't asked in the past year though).

My experiences this month:
LAX - SFO / SFO - LAX in F; Snack basket & drinks (water, etc)
ORD - YYZ in F; Snack basket & drinks (water, etc).

*Snack basket = normal assortment of cookies, bananas, chips, biscoti, etc.
These were e/e+ experiences...where sometimes the snack options are better then the snack choices in F. I've also gone about 1/10 on asking for the IPA beers.

I should clarify the stroopwaffles have usually been available, I'm referring to the bigger items.

Last edited by BThumme; Mar 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
These were e/e+ experiences...where sometimes the snack options are better then the snack choices in F. I've also gone about 1/10 on asking for the IPA beers.

I should clarify the stroopwaffles have usually been available, I'm referring to the bigger items.
In LAX/SFO in E/E+, this is nothing new. Since I've started flying UA in 2015, there has never been snack boxes offered or even available if I requested. They are not catered on the short flights.
I can't say the same for ORD-YYZ as I've never asked on that flight. However, if you read the snack offerings it says "For Flights scheduled for over 1.5 hours?"
LAX/SFO is not. ORD-YYZ might just be by a minute?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

I don't fly ORD-YYZ to know if something has changed. But in my opinion, for LAX-SFO, nothing has changed. its "too short" a flight.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA
So this thread should really be titled no buy on board snacks available, they're usually not catered for anything less than 1.5 hrs block time. LAX-SFO should never have it, if they do its leftover from a different flight
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I should clarify the stroopwaffles have usually been available, I'm referring to the bigger items.
The BoB snack are only available on flights of 1.5 hours or longer. There has been a time limit on BoB availability for a long time. The more substantial in economy items require flights of 3 hours or more.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
So this thread should really be titled no buy on board snacks available, they're usually not catered for anything less than 1.5 hrs block time. LAX-SFO should never have it, if they do its leftover from a different flight
I had plenty of luck going back a month on some of the very small regional flights like ORD-AZO and ORD-FNT. Maybe it was just luck and not the norm, or from a previous flight then.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA
I had plenty of luck going back a month on some of the very small regional flights like ORD-AZO and ORD-FNT. Maybe it was just luck and not the norm, or from a previous flight then.
I've had them on 1.25 hour flights too, its probably leftovers from other hops that were longer. Either way I usually ask since they're free for me.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The BoB snack are only available on flights of 1.5 hours or longer. There has been a time limit on BoB availability for a long time. The more substantial in economy items require flights of 3 hours or more.
What you link to shows:
Bistro on board (sandwiches, hot items, etc) - 3.5 hours
Snack shop (boxes) - 1.5 hours

Then "snacks", which don't have a time specified. That's what I'm referring to - gummy bears, pretzels, potato chips.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:26 pm

What you link to shows:
Bistro on board (sandwiches, hot items, etc) - 3.5 hours
Snack shop (boxes) - 1.5 hours

Then "snacks", which don't have a time specified. That's what I'm referring to - gummy bears, pretzels, potato chips.
Read it again. "From savory to sweet, enjoy a classic a la carte option or choose one of our snackboxes, which include several small bites.".

Gummy bears, pretzels, potato chips are 'a la carte option'. Scheduled flight time of over 1.5 hours.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
In LAX/SFO in E/E+, this is nothing new. Since I've started flying UA in 2015, there has never been snack boxes offered or even available if I requested. They are not catered on the short flights.
I can't say the same for ORD-YYZ as I've never asked on that flight. However, if you read the snack offerings it says "For Flights scheduled for over 1.5 hours?"
LAX/SFO is not. ORD-YYZ might just be by a minute?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

I don't fly ORD-YYZ to know if something has changed. But in my opinion, for LAX-SFO, nothing has changed. its "too short" a flight.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks for highlighting the threshold. I had been wondering about it, and that fits my experiences.

edit: actually after more poking around my experiences don't exactly fit the 1.5hr block time threshold, e.g., yul-ewr was blocked at 1.7hrs, and I had lax-sfo blocked at 1.6hrs, but it's somewhere around there.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
actually after more poking around my experiences don't exactly fit the 1.5hr block time threshold, e.g., yul-ewr was blocked at 1.7hrs, and I had lax-sfo blocked at 1.6hrs, but it's somewhere around there.
I believe the BoB threshold lengths, like the Polaris pyjama lengths, are measured by average stage length over some time period. For example, LAX<>SFO goes as short as 1h11m and as long as 1h45m, so it makes sense to average it to <90min on UA's part (or at least is vaguely consistent, given they clearly can't be serving BoB on the 1:35 flights and not the 1:25 flights).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo789
I believe the BoB threshold lengths, like the Polaris pyjama lengths, are measured by average stage length over some time period. For example, LAX<>SFO goes as short as 1h11m and as long as 1h45m, so it makes sense to average it to <90min on UA's part (or at least is vaguely consistent, given they clearly can't be serving BoB on the 1:35 flights and not the 1:25 flights).
I don't disagree with your observation, although like the pyjamas, it has prompted me to wonder why they don't just use a mileage chart to determine PJ provisioning or BoB / snacks. Mileage is the underlying variable in the stage length, so attempting to average the variance out of it and using that as the deciding factor is oddly opaque. But perhaps that's what they want.
sfo789 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.