Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Dragon interlining with American Airlines to USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite

Hello Everyone, New to the Cathay Boards but am an OWE with Qatar PC. I am trying to book a flight from PNH to IAD, while staying with One World and being Fly America compliant. One of the options I have been given is to book PNH to HKG separately on Cathay Dragon and then HKG-LAX-IAD on American. My agent believes that luggage interlining will be a problem with separate tickets. My assumption was that with both airlines being part of One World (assuming Cathay Dragon as a part of Cathay Pacific), that this would not be a problem and that luggage could be checked through. Any insights from similar experiences would be much appreciated. Please note that I would not be able to retrieve baggage and recheck in HKG as I wouldn't qualify for a transit visa. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Luggage check through from CX to AA is not a problem: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-tickets.html\

But you might want to look more closely at the visa issue - I guess (from your locations) that you are Nepalese. That being so then the Immigration website is clear that you need a visa EVEN if simply doing an airside transit!
https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...mit.html#notes

I am aware that CX has an arrangement with ImmD whereby if you are transiting CX-CX then they ensure that you get on the outbound flight and ImmD is then OK for you not to have a visa. But for CX-AA I'm really not sure that applies. You should make very sure by confirming with CX before you buy your ticket that they would let you board at PNH without a HK visa.

Last edited by christep; Mar 21, 2018 at 6:19 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:24 am
Suspended

In fact here is the detail: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...nsit-twov.html

From which, if I have assumed your nationality correctly, you can only transit HKG without a visa if both the inbound AND outbound flights are on Cathay/Cathay Dragon. As to whether a CX codeshare on an AA flight counts you would have to ask Cathay.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you christep for your response. I am indeed Nepalese and this transit visa requirement has been a pain. I think you are right. In the past, I have done CX-CX to the US with no transit visa. My travel agent is checking. But I think you are correct. This wouldn't be possible with the Cathay Dragon to AA routing. I assume this would be true even if I was flying AA codeshare on CX metal, right?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by christep
In fact here is the detail: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...nsit-twov.html

From which, if I have assumed your nationality correctly, you can only transit HKG without a visa if both the inbound AND outbound flights are on Cathay/Cathay Dragon. As to whether a CX codeshare on an AA flight counts you would have to ask Cathay.
or, an AA codeshare on CX metal (probably easier than CX code/AA metal since day of ops the operating carrier counts..)

But yeah, the OP would have to be doubly sure that thered’s be no issues.

Also, christep, impressed with your eye for detail!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended

I really don't know on the codeshare question. It's an arrangement between CX and HK Immigration so you (or your agent) need to get an answer (and I strongly suggest in writing to avoid a big mess on check-in at PNH) from CX directly.

I assume this is sooner than when CX starts flying HKG-IAD directly?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Also, the ‘Fly America’ point..may be wrong but think US carrier code/operated by a non US airline, passes muster.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks jagmeets and christep. Really helpful! Appreciate it. I also have to commend christep on his eye for detail and guessing my nationality :-)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

I had to go and look up "Fly America"... so I guess CX doesn't work. Since someone else is paying (otherwise why is "Fly America relevant?) then why not go through Australia on Qantas (which is an acceptable carrier apparently)? Lots more miles that way!

And thanks for the commendations - I live in HK and hang out also on the TripAdvisor forum where Nepalese issues are not uncommon!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Also, the ‘Fly America’ point..may be wrong but think US carrier code/operated by a non US airline, passes muster.
Yes, jagmeets, it does. My preference would have been to fly AA Codeshare on CX metal from HKG to JFK. But the prices are astronomical, even in Y. There is this odd routing from BKK-HKG-JFK that I am still exploring that is AA codeshare on CX, but with the visa issue, I either have to get the visa or give up. The other option being flying AA on AA metal from HKG-LAX-east coast. All of this resulting from the ending of AA codeshare with Qatar as of the end of this month, which completely blocks me out flying that route that I always fly PNH-DOH-JFK/IAD. I wonder if there is a Fly America thread around here somewhere where I can get some advice.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Interlining from CX to AA on separate tickets is okay. ButAA to CX will be a problem on the return.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:46 am
Suspended

How about getting to BKK and then flying BA to IAD (which is also Fly America compliant I believe)?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
I had to go and look up "Fly America"... so I guess CX doesn't work. Since someone else is paying (otherwise why is "Fly America relevant?) then why not go through Australia on Qantas (which is an acceptable carrier apparently)? Lots more miles that way!

And thanks for the commendations - I live in HK and hang out also on the TripAdvisor forum where Nepalese issues are not uncommon!
christep, Fly America is the biggest pain. You're giving me some ideas now haha (but have to be fiscally responsible, sadly). I am Nepalese, work in Cambodia for an American organization, and occasionally have to travel on USG funding. Hopefully not too much anymore.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

My last suggestion for this evening... since we're in a mileage forum, have you considered using OneWorldExplorer tickets? PNH to IAD is more or less half-way round the world, so you could buy RTW tickets and get lots of add-on flights for free (see many wonderful discussions on how to maximise this in the oneworld forum, which is heavily focused on these tickets). JAL is also acceptable to Fly America.
ashbjr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.