Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta joins UA in losing track of a dog (puppy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

(Mods -- if there's already a thread in this forum, please merge)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.98240fd01181

Part of the problem was that the owner was getting calls from Delta employees using cell phones (Caller ID Blocked), and they were giving him numbers to call that were disconnected or had voice mail boxes full!

Below is excerpted from the Washington Post article:

Hey Delta, was supposed to receive my 8-week old pup this evening in Delta Terminal — Boise Airport but instead got a “No Caller ID” call from an inconsiderate and uninformed person at your Delta Terminal — Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport saying that they’re sending him to an unknown boarding location because of a flight that was delayed by 30 minutes. Was then given the number of the boarding facility — a disconnected line. Was not given a call back number by Detroit person, and the customer service would not give me their direct line. Tried calling Delta Cargo customer service, only to be yelled at by the rep and hung up on. No idea where my dog is, or what conditions he’ll be placed under for the next 24 or more hours. Don’t know when he will come into Boise tomorrow. No idea who to call. Absolutely ridiculous customer service.

The owner, Josh Schlaich, told NBC affiliate KTVB that he was expecting Delta Air Lines to deliver his dog Saturday, but instead, he received a call from an airline employee in Detroit, saying the pup was being kept at a boarding facility overnight. From there, the dog was flown in a crate to Minneapolis, but the airline said he was then “misrouted” to Las Vegas and sent to Salt Lake City on his way to his home in Boise, according to CNN. Schlaich told KTVB that when got to Boise Airport on Sunday to pick up his dog, the airline gave him the wrong one.

He said it was, in actuality, his dog’s littermate. Both had been sent from a Virginia breeder to Boise, he said.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:41 pm

I thought Delta stopped transporting animals in cargo a year or two ago - did they reverse that decision or did that never go into effect? In any event, given the potential for negative PR and minimal revenues in the grand scheme of things, I have no idea why airlines still transport animal in cargo.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by The Situation
I thought Delta stopped transporting animals in cargo a year or two ago - did they reverse that decision or did that never go into effect? In any event, given the potential for negative PR and minimal revenues in the grand scheme of things, I have no idea why airlines still transport animal in cargo.
They stopped accepting animals as checked luggage a few years ago. DL Cargo still transports animals but only during winter months and it is banned in the summer.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Perhaps all airlines should stop transporting animals, until they can get their act together.
LadyPhoenix likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Why not just allow passengers to buy an extra seat for their dog? Make the passenger obtain a letter from their vet that their dog is safe and fit for travel.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
How about no pets period? Want to travel with a pet? Drive or take the train.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cross my fingers when I check a roll-aboard full of dirty laundry.

I could not imagine entrusting a beloved pet to any airline.

(Irony note... I initially misspelled roll-aboard. The spell checker suggested as a replacement: Labrador.)
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
It appears that Amtrak imposes significant restrictions on pets, especially for long distance travel:

Bring your small dog or cat with you on your next Amtrak trip for just $25 or 800 Amtrak Guest Rewards points.

We happily welcome dogs and cats up to 20 pounds for trips of up to seven hours on most routes (some restrictions apply*). Our check-in process is simple, making traveling with your four-legged friend easy and enjoyable. Make a reservation here at Amtrak.com, call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit a staffed Amtrak station.*Acela Express on weekends and holidays only; travel with pets in Canada not available on Adirondack, Maple Leaf and Amtrak Cascades; not available on Auto Train, Keystone Service, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor Pacific Surfliner or Thruway Connecting Services.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
It appears that Amtrak imposes significant restrictions on pets, especially for long distance travel:

Bring your small dog or cat with you on your next Amtrak trip for just $25 or 800 Amtrak Guest Rewards points.

We happily welcome dogs and cats up to 20 pounds for trips of up to seven hours on most routes (some restrictions apply*). Our check-in process is simple, making traveling with your four-legged friend easy and enjoyable. Make a reservation here at Amtrak.com, call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit a staffed Amtrak station.*Acela Express on weekends and holidays only; travel with pets in Canada not available on Adirondack, Maple Leaf and Amtrak Cascades; not available on Auto Train, Keystone Service, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor Pacific Surfliner or Thruway Connecting Services.
Drive.
Occupationalhazard likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drive.
I was not advocating a position on the issue. Merely providing input.

BTW... was watching one of the cable news channels a few nights ago, and they were profiling some woman and her emotional support duck. Tick tock on that duck's future travel ambitions (thankfully).
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
[QUOTE=readywhenyouare;29548706]Why not just allow passengers to buy an extra seat for their dog? Make the passenger obtain a letter from their vet that their dog is safe and fit for travel.That would make the most sense for someone that has to fly with a large dog providing there is enough room to place the carrier in the empty seat beside them. Would be good revenue for the airline and the passenger will know their pet is safe.

In this case it sounds like an irresponsible breeder. A reputable breeder would have required the new owner to pick the dog up and fly the pet home with them or had flown the pet (or had a friend) fly the pet to his new home at buyers expense. The cat breeders I know would refuse to deal with someone that would request they fly their kitten to them as cargo and as a pet owner I would refuse to buy a cat from a breeder that would ship their kittens as cargo (and if I were to ever buy a dog I would have the same criteria with a dog breeder).

I'm glad my pets are cats and can easily be transported with me if I am in a situation where I have to fly with them. I wouldn't trust them in the airlines care
jdrtravel and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Mar 20, 2018 at 9:37 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Why not just allow passengers to buy an extra seat for their dog? Make the passenger obtain a letter from their vet that their dog is safe and fit for travel.
-----------
Until dogs/pets start soiling airline seats and then increased delays all over the place.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It may be naive, but I'm optimistic that having a strict rules that are strictly enforced for ESAs would be a good start.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I was not advocating a position on the issue. Merely providing input.

BTW... was watching one of the cable news channels a few nights ago, and they were profiling some woman and her emotional support duck. Tick tock on that duck's future travel ambitions (thankfully).
Hey, that duck would make a good dinner in D1 the next time DL runs out of my first choice. Two problems solved at once. <ducking to hide from the PETA and vegan crowd>
strickerj, wrp96 and The Situation like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: DL DM
I used to be a member of the "no pets period club" but after moving from FL to AK a year ago for work my viewpoint has changed. Driving is not practical in this case, and while we aren't taking our pet on every trip, the pet does have to come along on occasion. Now people taking advantage of the system with bogus ESA's is another matter. For us we are honest. We book our reservation via phone with a "pet in cabin," pay the $125 fee at check in, and travel with our pet in an appropriately sized carrier. We are fortunate we have a pet small enough to take onboard. I would not trust the airlines shipping my pet via cargo... and I'm an airline pilot myself!
strickerj, wrp96, nichelle and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
They have got to figure something better out. There needs to be a way to just buy a plane ticket for a pet and bring them onboard with their own seat. They could require that it be the last 5 rows of coach or something for animals that don’t fit under the seat and to allow some space for those with allergies, and limit the amount of pets per flight like they used to. An animal belongs in the cargo hold as much as a person does.

I also agree that shipping an 8 week old puppy is especially shameful. Imagine how terrified and traumatized the poor thing was. Also, 8 weeks is exactly in the middle of the short window when dogs learn most of their behavioral patterns. This dog will likely be traumatized for life from this experience. Shame on everyone involved.
jamesteroh and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.