Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know how to raise this armrest?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know how to raise this armrest?

737 800/900 if that helps. Row 38..second from the back. Not sure why only this row seems to have these armrests that wont raise. Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

No button on the undersdie that i can find
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
On the topic, is there a way to raise the window armrest on a 777 or 787? I know the trick for the aisle, but there doesn't seem to be a similar hidden button on the window armrest.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
You'd like to Move it, Move it?!?

Originally Posted by grouchysaurus

737 800/900 if that helps. Row 38..second from the back. Not sure why only this row seems to have these armrests that wont raise. Thanks!
You cannot raise that particular armrest.
See the thick padding toward the back of it?
That padding is there on that, and a handful of other, armrests to meet the somewhat recent (last 10 years or so) increased Head Injury Criterion numbers by the FAA for the passenger BEHIND that seat.
So, the pad must stay stationary, and consequently that armrest cannot be raised.
It's worth noting that the criterion, and more specifically, the interpretation thereof has been... inconsistent across carriers. And some aircraft have actually had theirs changes or removed, as clarity has been sought.
So... it's a bit of a mishmash, and not just at United.
It's a long story. But that's the gist of it.
Edited to add: these are often found in the aft rows of the cabin, because the seats are offset as the fuselage tapers. The thinking was that a passenger's head would not strike the headrest in front of them, in that case, due to the offset, so the padding was added for additional protection. It became very convoluted, and this regulation is also the basis for the fairly recent advent of seat belt airbags, which people seem to despise. Personally, I think seat belt airbags are a great idea- there's tremendous potential to reduce injury in survivable crashes this way. But. People these days are only happy when they're complaining! Anyway, that's a SMALL part of the back story.
grouchysaurus, Gammur and mr8 like this.

Last edited by Legend717; Mar 17, 2018 at 6:30 pm Reason: Additional deeeetailz
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by drewguy
On the topic, is there a way to raise the window armrest on a 777 or 787? I know the trick for the aisle, but there doesn't seem to be a similar hidden button on the window armrest.
Window armrests are, as a general rule, not movable.
I'm sure there are exceptions. But when you get on a plane, by default, assume that the window armrest won't move.
Most of them are bolted to a bracket.
I HAVE seen MANY an armrest where Passenger XYZ has decided to MAKE the window armrest go up.
The carrier I work with spends lots of money replacing shattered aluminum brackets as a consequence.
grouchysaurus likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to.....MOVE IT!

Originally Posted by Legend717
You cannot raise that particular armrest.
See the thick padding toward the back of it?
That padding is there on that, and a handful of other, armrests to meet the somewhat recent (last 10 years or so) increased Head Injury Criterion numbers by the FAA for the passenger BEHIND that seat.
So, the pad must stay stationary, and consequently that armrest cannot be raised.
It's worth noting that the criterion, and more specifically, the interpretation thereof has been... inconsistent across carriers. And some aircraft have actually had theirs changes or removed, as clarity has been sought.
So... it's a bit of a mishmash, and not just at United.
It's a long story. But that's the gist of it.
Edited to add: these are often found in the aft rows of the cabin, because the seats are offset as the fuselage tapers. The thinking was that a passenger's head would not strike the headrest in front of them, in that case, due to the offset, so the padding was added for additional protection. It became very convoluted, and this regulation is also the basis for the fairly recent advent of seat belt airbags, which people seem to despise. Personally, I think seat belt airbags are a great idea- there's tremendous potential to reduce injury in survivable crashes this way. But. People these days are only happy when they're complaining! Anyway, that's a SMALL part of the back story.
Thanks so much for the amazing reply! I often move to the back of the plane if it looks like there is a chance the row will be empty and I will be able to lay down and sleep, but picked the wrong row this time! Luckily the FA was very sweet and let me move to another empty row, but its good to have this info for future ref. Would be nice if there was some way to know in advance which rows have immovable armrests...like on seatguru or something.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure there are exceptions. But when you get on a plane, by default, assume that the window armrest won't move.
As I recall, the window armrests on the port (single seat/A) side of the ERJ 135/145 can be raised. Not sure about the starboard side since it's been a long time since I sat in a 'C' seat on that aircraft type.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kale73
As I recall, the window armrests on the port (single seat/A) side of the ERJ 135/145 can be raised. Not sure about the starboard side since it's been a long time since I sat in a 'C' seat on that aircraft type.

18C can definitely be raised as well
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Most of them are bolted to a bracket.
I HAVE seen MANY an armrest where Passenger XYZ has decided to MAKE the window armrest go up.
The carrier I work with spends lots of money replacing shattered aluminum brackets as a consequence.
Haha. Thanks for the info. Maybe it's a sign that carriers should make those armrests raiseable!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:28 am

I hate that window armrests don't go up. I always choose window and like to lean against the shell of the aircraft, armrest is always in the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.