Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flights posting to depart earlier than scheduled

Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat

i am at DCA this morning and noticed that a number of flights are showing early departures. Some only 5 or 6 mins earlier. I had this happen one other time to me. Many times we leave earlier from the gate--but that is once all have boarded.

Anyone know why a flight would show status leaving earlier? Can flights go out even earlier than this--say 10-15 minutes before scheduled departure time? If someone isn't careful, they will miss the 15 minute on board window when such a change happens.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Delta does this at JFK and it’s super annoying....usually 5 mins early which makes a big difference when you’re connecting from a regional flight.
jpsj likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Pretty dense fog here at DCA this morning (I’m on AS 1; I got to the gate 6 minutes before nominal boarding time and they were already boarding, but departure is posted as on time, not early). Presumably that’s causing some flow control so if the airline can get an earlier take off position, they’ll take it, since the alternative may be taking a delay?

DL does this fairly often too; I saw a YVR-SEA DL flight posting a departure time 12 minutes early on Wednesday. I presume they won’t close the door until T-10 (or whatever the cutoff is) relative to the original boarding time or when everyone is on board and are using the early posted departure time to try to get everyone on board early.
jpsj likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've had flights push early, but only when everyone was on board. I've been on flights that wanted to leave early, but waited for a straggling (on-time) passenger.

I've heard of flights leaving early without passengers when weather was expected to close the airport and the choice was to get 95 people there early or leave 100 people stranded at the departure airport.

I'm fine with going if everyone's there. I understand the weather-related early departure, but if I was the one left behind, they had better be sure a tornado sweeps the field right after wheels-up.
jpsj likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP only shows one flight in his photo of the departure monitor, AA 5260 from DCA to CLT. That flight was scheduled for 0729 out of Gate 35X, a bus gate. If his photo was at 0714 or later, AA would know that it had all passengers who met the T-15 gate deadline and could accurately post an early departure. The monitors at DCA draw from the same data as AA's operations has and thus, it makes all the sense in the world to update to reflect an earlier departure.

As (bad) luck would have it, although the flight was apparently ready to push early, the fog got the better of things and it is still awaiting departure, now scheduled for 1035.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Originally Posted by Often1
OP only shows one flight in his photo of the departure monitor, AA 5260 from DCA to CLT. That flight was scheduled for 0729 out of Gate 35X, a bus gate. If his photo was at 0714 or later, AA would know that it had all passengers who met the T-15 gate deadline and could accurately post an early departure. The monitors at DCA draw from the same data as AA's operations has and thus, it makes all the sense in the world to update to reflect an earlier departure.

As (bad) luck would have it, although the flight was apparently ready to push early, the fog got the better of things and it is still awaiting departure, now scheduled for 1035.
There were multiple other flights scheduled earlier that I didn't take a picture of. I took this photo at 5:50am on the way to my 6:30am flight.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
It happens. My more common if infrequent experience has been Eagle flights; as much as half hour early. Statements made FAA was worried about slot control (at either end) and has asked them to be loaded and flexible.

Nearly got left behind a week ago hanging out in the DFW AC. Got to the gate at 25 minutes. They had already loaded the plane and moved up all standbys actually there. Not-together seats left for us but get on right now. Ooops. I know better.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I've seen AA do that out of DCA and, if I recall correctly, out of PHL (but definitely at least DCA), 10 minutes early for a regional jet flight. I got an announcement about the change I think the day before, and then the flight was changed back to the regular time. No clue why.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.