Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-BOS CW or F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

LHR-BOS CW or F

Looking for some advice, on a route I've never flown. Due to a huge change in plans, we have one option to get home in July. Flying via BOS on one of the 2 evening flights. Both appear to be 777s, not sure if they are new/old good/bad or what. I have enough avios to fly F but for such a short flight one of my questions is, is it really worth it ? we will be staying overnight in Boston , leaving very early the next day, so the ability to 'tuck in' is there...will CW be the new service /cabin and not worth the extra 40k miles for F ??

Thank you
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:04 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Personally if you have tons of miles then why not fly F, but I would use them on J for this short route, 6/7 hours in J is fine I personally think.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Nobody other than you knows if it's worth it for you.

Read up on F, read up on J and decide for yourself.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:18 pm
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Personally, I'd only upgrade the outbound leg — especially if you have no status — take advantage of the First Wing and the CCR
Flame3601 and offtothehills like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:23 pm

Usually, flying F on a short overnight TATL is a waste, but as you seem to have the only option of a 777, I'd avoid the J dorm where possible. Therefore I'd take F is it was an option.
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Usually, flying F on a short overnight TATL is a waste, but as you seem to have the only option of a 777, I'd avoid the J dorm where possible. Therefore I'd take F is it was an option.
Agree the J on a 772 is not great
would be looking for F availibility if I-was you
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:56 am

I would go for F.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
I would absolutely go for F if it is an option for you, to avoid the 'flying dormitory' feel of J on a British Airways 772...
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've done F out - J back, J out - F back & F out and back on this route*. If you can afford it then F is certainly worth the it going to BOS because of the CCR and First Wing plus the on board features. Coming back you do get the usual fast track security but you get that with J. In the lounge you get a separate segregated space within the dining area to eat that has views of the 'tarmac'. Proper priority boarding for F direct from the lounge is another plus. You avoid the dorm on-board and get the infinity bath and Concorde breakfast room in the arrivals lounge.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate if it was avios as I've got a few. Cash if I had no other calls on the money then yes. By the way if you can get to BOS earlier then 212 is looking like a 747 or A380 in July.

*and J both ways

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 24, 2018 at 5:20 am
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:38 pm

For me (and if you have the Avios) then I wouldn't hesitate.

You are a long time dead - that's not to say F is the "be all and end all" but if you have an option to take the fresh coffee over instant; the week over weekend break; the fountain pen over the biro....

.....then take what suits you. There is no 'one size fits all'. There are fine lines and it's finding the gap between (for me).

But. Whatever you chose, just enjoy it.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:23 pm

Another +1 for F if 772. Different story on the 380 or 744. I just upgraded both legs of my next trip to BOS at the end of March because there were no preferred seats left on the upper deck on outbound and the return is listed as a 772 which I am not a fan of the J cabin or as others refer to as the 'dorm'. Price obviously comes into play but if Avios probably worth the extra.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've flown both many times and, for me, the difference is not worth the Avios, especially if I can get a window seat in J. You actually have a much more private seat with a J window than F; the main hard product difference for me is that the F seat is wider, which is nice on a longer flight, but not of much value if you're just taking a short nap as most would on LHR-BOS. The food is variable and generally bad in both classes, and I have found the service to be consistently inconsistent in both. I have had J flights with attentive service, and many F flights where only the bare minimum service is offered. I've also had the reverse, of course.

So the biggest difference for me is the lounge, and that doesn't warrant 40k Avios, IMHO. (I try to get to the airport as late as I can to minimize waiting so rarely use any lounge for >45 mins.)

Just my 2 cents but I've probably flown this route 50 times in J and 10 in F in the last 5 years.
squeeler likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:05 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I agree in principle with MikeBOS about it not being worth the extra Avios to fly east in F on what may be a 5 hour flight. Not sure I am quite so negative about the food.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

I'd happily take a window in CW and save the Avios. I really don't get the flying dorm comments - when I'm tucked in a window seat, and especially on overnight flights where I am happy to have no service at all, it makes no difference to me whether there are 10 or 100 seats around me.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I really don't get the flying dorm comments - when I'm tucked in a window seat, and especially on overnight flights where I am happy to have no service at all, it makes no difference to me whether there are 10 or 100 seats around me.
My thoughts as well for the Eastbound and I do this route quite a lot. Depends also on what you are doing at the other end, for pure rest I'd go CW as the temptation to max out the F experience/value (oh, just a bit more then..) tends to reduce the use of the wider seat. That is more of a self-control issue than BA's though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.