Wiki Posts
Search

LAX - SIN Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX - SIN Mileage Run

Hi Everyone - taking advantage of the current LAX-SIN $515 r/t United sale, this will put me within 5k of my 1 million! Flying LAX-SIN coach, SIN-LAX Polaris.

10pm dep LAX, 7am arrive SIN, 2.5 hour layover
10am dep SIN, 10am arrive LAX.

787-9 Dreamliner

A few questions please:

- Do I have to clear customs in Singapore?
- Polaris Business on the way back, recommended club to catch a shower in SIN?
- Any access to the UC club LAX on the way out? (in coach, only Silver status)
- I'm in row 27 on the way out, near lavatories with extra legroom. Says "missing a window". Anyone know, no window at all, or just missing one of two windows?

Any other tips are appreciated - thanks in advance!

- Tom
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by tstauck; Feb 23, 2018 at 4:18 pm Reason: added aircraft type
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tstauck
No. Just security at the gate.

SilverKris Lounge.

Afraid not. Don't think your return flight in J will qualify you because (i) not sure you can get a BP, and (2) it will appear to be more than 24 hours off due to the time difference.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response Kacee!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Should go without saying but don't check a bag and you won't have to clear customs. Arrivals/Departures are out of the low number E gates in Terminal 2. You can stay airside the whole time. Security is done at the gate approx. 45 mins prior to boarding.

Biz class passengers can use the SQ SilverKris lounge which has complementary showers. You'll need to stop by the transfer desk for your return BP and to answer security questions.

Negative for Silver status - only for *Gold.

- I'm in row 27 on the way out, near lavatories with extra legroom. Says "missing a window". Anyone know, no window at all, or just missing one of two windows?
Row 27 on the 787 is an Exit row. There is just a tiny window in the door. Not much to see anyway as this is an overnight flight entirely overwater and they will most likely have the windows darkened the whole time.

Any other tips are appreciated - thanks in advance!
Changi is probably the greatest airport in the world for a MR. Take the time to explore a bit during your layover. Check out the Sunflower garden and butterfly pavilion if you have the time. Some other good info can be found in this thread: Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
ContinentalFan and tstauck like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:39 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
I believe Changi Terminal 2, Transfer E desk, does not open until 8am. So you may not be able to get return boarding pass as soon as you arrive. But plenty to do and places to relax in the 60 minutes or so during your wait.

What did your RT price out at end? Did you use miles + cash for upgrade on return segment?

Safe travels
tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:31 pm

Bring snacks for your flight in economy. Don't get the duck on the return flight in Polaris.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just got off this flight and am on the train into Singapore. Good luck! It’s a long flight and you’ll be pretty tired when you get there. But Changi is a great airport and it will be worth it.

The info you received above is correct.
tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by david_oz
I just got off this flight and am on the train into Singapore. Good luck! It’s a long flight and you’ll be pretty tired when you get there. But Changi is a great airport and it will be worth it.
I have been on the same flight with you , I was on the first row in economy )
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Yiu can get your boarding pass at a kiosk at LAX for the return, that way you dont have to bother with transfer desk, go straight to lounge,
No mobile BPs ex-SIN
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrswirl
Should go without saying but don't check a bag and you won't have to clear customs. Arrivals/Departures are out of the low number E gates in Terminal 2. You can stay airside the whole time. Security is done at the gate approx. 45 mins prior to boarding.

Biz class passengers can use the SQ SilverKris lounge which has complementary showers. You'll need to stop by the transfer desk for your return BP and to answer security questions.

Negative for Silver status - only for *Gold.

Row 27 on the 787 is an Exit row. There is just a tiny window in the door. Not much to see anyway as this is an overnight flight entirely overwater and they will most likely have the windows darkened the whole time.

Changi is probably the greatest airport in the world for a MR. Take the time to explore a bit during your layover. Check out the Sunflower garden and butterfly pavilion if you have the time. Some other good info can be found in this thread: Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Thanks for the great tips!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Wear compression socks. Getting a DVT sucks.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
If you don't do an immediate turnaround (e.g., saw SFO-SIN landing 0645 with return SIN-SFO departing 0900), you can grab a nap or even full sleep in the movie theater at Changi (free second- or third-run movies with A/C) and decent meals in the food court. Heck of an opportunity for a MR ...
tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GDL
I believe Changi Terminal 2, Transfer E desk, does not open until 8am. So you may not be able to get return boarding pass as soon as you arrive. But plenty to do and places to relax in the 60 minutes or so during your wait.

What did your RT price out at end? Did you use miles + cash for upgrade on return segment?

Safe travels
GDL - Thanks! $515 roundtrip then $450 + 30k miles for the return upgrade. It cleared immediately. R=1 still on this flight (April 30) - R=5 when I booked it.. When I booked it the other day, I noticed Singapore, Shanghai and Tokyo all had R space available
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yiu can get your boarding pass at a kiosk at LAX for the return, that way you dont have to bother with transfer desk, go straight to lounge,
No mobile BPs ex-SIN
I believe this info is incorrect. Return BP obtained from the transfer desk will be security stamped as well aa a security sticker affixed to passport. These will be checked and required at boarding gate by an additional security review. BP obtained in LAX will not have this and you will still be required to get a new BP from the transfer desk "E".
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by cagcag
I believe this info is incorrect. Return BP obtained from the transfer desk will be security stamped as well aa a security sticker affixed to passport. These will be checked and required at boarding gate by an additional security review. BP obtained in LAX will not have this and you will still be required to get a new BP from the transfer desk "E".
True, but in order to enter the SilverKris lounge a boarding pass is needed. So for that purpose having one on hand is desirable. Before boarding, OP needs to go to the transfer desk to get his new boarding pass with all the stickers. Attempting to enter the boarding gate area without the sticker results in being send back to the transfer desk by security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.