Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DAY to DEN -- EMB145 Cant Make the Route!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DAY to DEN -- EMB145 Cant Make the Route!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton
Angry DAY to DEN -- EMB145 Cant Make the Route!

I used to fly this route quite often when the aircraft was a EMB175 and never had any issues. United has now changed the aircraft to a EMB145. It appears that this aircraft can not make the route if there is a head wind. Today we had to land in Kansas City to refuel because the aircraft is unable to make the route without stopping for gas. This is now happened at least 6 times between my co-workers and I. I feel that if you book a direct flight it should be expected that it will be just that, a direct flight with a stop. Well, appears that is not the case a good amount of the time. United knew before we ever took off that it would require a stop. So my 2 hour flight time turned into over 4 hours because the aircraft is undersized for the route. I will no longer be taking this route due to what I believe is a bad business practice on the part of United. No flight should be listed as direct if it has to stop for fuel with a head wind. None of this is of course disclosed until the morning of the flight.

This happens way too often and has cause myself and my co-workers to miss too many important meetings and functions. Again, will no longer be taking this route and hope this saves some folks some heartburn in the future.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Probably some secondary factors at work here, E145 can nominally make the route.

"Direct" flights can have stops, by industry definition/convention, so your use of direct is somewhat confusing.

All aircraft have to stop for fuel if headwinds are strong enough.

edit: Divert rate for the E145 on KDAY-KDEN is about 2% over the last couple years; higher than I'd expect, but easy to find comparable mainline examples (752 TATL, etc).

Last edited by mduell; Feb 23, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
The headwinds have been affecting way more than DAY-DEN. My VX A320 flights from NYC(one was EWR, other was JFK)-SFO had to stop in DEN on one trip and STL the next, all within the last several weeks. It's not just a UA problem, but VX did give ETCs for each. Turned out to be around 9 hours of travel time on each leg.

I'm not affiliated with or endorsing this blog in any way, but TPG did a piece on it:

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/win...ts-diversions/
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Sometimes it goes the other way. Tailwinds were so strong a few weeks ago that Ops delayed the departure of my IAH-SYD flight by 20 minutes to avoid arriving during noise curfew and we still arrived early!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is incorrect to say that the aircraft cannot perform the route if there is a headwind. Rather, it cannot perform the route if there is a sufficient headwind. Thanks to mduell for provididing real and accurate data.

This is a common phenomenon worldwide on many carriers. Not just with the -145, but even much larger aircraft.

OP has apparently not considered the likelihood that the larger aircraft can't be justified on the report. Likely PRASM too low. So, the choice becomes abandoning the route or cutting frequencies. OP is certainly free to take any one of the other numerous carriers flying larger aircraft on the route.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:54 pm

mduell: where can you look up that data on diversions?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Definitely not just UA. I remember a few years ago wife was coming back somewhere in the west coast to CVG on DL, and they had to stop somewhere enroute as well. I think even it was from SLC (connection there) in a mainline aircraft. If you think that’s bad, we took a diversion on YYZ-ORD IN STL in September to refuel. I remember being utterly annoyed since the weather system that was in the region was there in takeoff, and so they should have been able to plan for a longer route around the storm. They didnt, but for reference, this was also UA.

On a non-weather related note, sorry to hear DAY-DEN has moved to an E45. I’ve flown DEN-CVG on an E45 a couple of times and it’s not pleasant, for sure. Thankfully for us in CVG seems to be almost always on CR7/E75 now on that route, and now rare to see an E45/CR2 practically anywhere UA flies.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
On a non-weather related note, sorry to hear DAY-DEN has moved to an E45. I’ve flown DEN-CVG on an E45 a couple of times and it’s not pleasant, for sure. Thankfully for us in CVG seems to be almost always on CR7/E75 now on that route, and now rare to see an E45/CR2 practically anywhere UA flies.
I'm seeing a lot more CR2s recently. Including routes like ORD-CMH.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
When headwinds are strong to Hawaii from Seattle, Alaska will make a fuel stop in Oakland or offload passengers/bags on the 737-800
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:12 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by horkyroj
... I will no longer be taking this route due to what I believe is a bad business practice on the part of United. No flight should be listed as direct if it has to stop for fuel with a head wind. None of this is of course disclosed until the morning of the flight.

This happens way too often and has cause myself and my co-workers to miss too many important meetings and functions. Again, will no longer be taking this route and hope this saves some folks some heartburn in the future.
It happens sometimes in the winter when headwinds are strong. The rest of the year, winds are not so extreme generally, and the route + equipment is fine.

Your question to yourself should be:

UA is the only carrier flying a nonstop DAY-DEN. Is that time savings useful to me for most of my travels during the year that I'm willing to have it cancel once in a while when the weather is extreme enough? Or am I so disappointed with the x% diversion rate that I would rather fly with 1 connection (+ extra time) with another carrier all the time to avoid being delayed x% of my trips?

Your bar / tolerance for this is up to your judgment. Answer rationally to yourself and make your choice -- and everyone will respect that.
HappyCoachFlyer and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:36 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mander
I'm seeing a lot more CR2s recently. Including routes like ORD-CMH.
Air Wisconsin rejoining express would explain this
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by windhund
where can you look up that data on diversions?
I would start with https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/data_an...ine_delay.html
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Definitely not just UA. I remember a few years ago wife was coming back somewhere in the west coast to CVG on DL, and they had to stop somewhere enroute as well. I think even it was from SLC (connection there) in a mainline aircraft.
Totally agree. It happened too on USAirways, when it was still alive, between PHL and SFO or LAX on a mainline aircraft. In the winter, many times it had to refuel somewhere in Kansas If I remember correctly. Due to the headwinds.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:02 pm

On a non-weather related note, sorry to hear DAY-DEN has moved to an E45.
DAY air traffic is rapidly evaporating. WN pulled out last year, and UA is both down gauging and reducing frequency. Even though I am a loyal UA flyer, their offerings on IAD-DAY are HORRIBLE, so I do DCA-DAY instead.
goodeats21 and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Miggles
DAY air traffic is rapidly evaporating. WN pulled out last year, and UA is both down gauging and reducing frequency. Even though I am a loyal UA flyer, their offerings on IAD-DAY are HORRIBLE, so I do DCA-DAY instead.
well, yeah, this too. I think with competition better than ever at CVG, and fares dropping there as a result, a ton of the traffic that used to go to DAY just don’t need to anymore. Like people on the I-75 corridor equidistant from both. Or those much closer to CVG who used to drive to DAY for lower fares but no longer need to. it’s part DL dropping service from their peak of 600+ daily flights (almost monopoly service) at CVG about a decade ago (To less than 100 today).. Plus in that wake, CVG really going hard to recruit other carriers. Both F9 and WN moved ops from DAY to CVG - WN just last year and F9 starting with a few destinations a few years ago and seems to have continually expanded since then. Ditto for Allegiant which seems to keep growing. Even AC started nonstops a few years ago to YYZ and expanded from 2 to 3 daily flights in the last couple of years. UA for its part moved from a lot of 50 seat jets to pretty much all CR7/E70/E75, with ORD getting at least one mainline a day back, sometimes two. That used to be the opposite with DAY - I’d used to always look and wonder why DAY was getting 70 seaters and CVG almost all 50 seaters. And the fares have dropped a ton also - CVG used to always be in the top 3 or so most expensive cities in the US to fly from, but that has changed quite a bit - they are now always talking about having the lowest fares in the region, and I’ve definitely noticed the drop (thankfully, without ever needing to set foot on F9 or Allegiant).

Definitrly unfortunate if one is a DAY-based flyer.
Miggles, KansasMike and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.