Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Twice diverted flight slides off runway / UA878 739 N30401 Overran Runway @ Green Bay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Twice diverted flight slides off runway / UA878 739 N30401 Overran Runway @ Green Bay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC

Sounds like flight from hell...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/twice-d...-in-green-bay/

Last edited by J.Edward; Feb 23, 2018 at 11:10 am Reason: Update title
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
they must have had some real
nasty weather in Wisconsin last night. Running off the end of the runway seems to indicate very poor braking conditions. I wonder if the airport had any reports to share with pilots prior to landing.

I sometimes wonder about the longer 737 variants and how there’s less opportunity to flare due to
risk of tail strike.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Wow, a 739. Who woulda thought?!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
More technical info on the flight, via the excellent Aviation Herald site: Incident: United B739 at Green Bay on Feb 23rd 2018, overran runway on landing
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Craig6z
More technical info on the flight, via the excellent Aviation Herald site: Incident: United B739 at Green Bay on Feb 23rd 2018, overran runway on landing
First comment on there is spot on "Double diversion, serious weather issues, long duty day, late night arrival, and an aircraft with a high approach speed". Freezing rain in Green Bay probably meant they were ice skating down the runway. Kudos to the pilots here.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Kudos to the pilots and thank God there was space off the end of runway 06.
am1108 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Billiken
thank God there was space off the end of runway 06.
Thank the FAA
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
I understand the desire to get into an airport, but the incident could have been avoided by staying at the first diversion airport.

Yes, the pilots were able to prevent a crash, but in reality most of the landing ended up beyond the control of the flight crew. Could have been a much worse outcome.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Delta Platinum
Higher landing speed on 739s

Originally Posted by tryathlete
they must have had some real
nasty weather in Wisconsin last night. Running off the end of the runway seems to indicate very poor braking conditions. I wonder if the airport had any reports to share with pilots prior to landing.

I sometimes wonder about the longer 737 variants and how there’s less opportunity to flare due to
risk of tail strike.
You are correct - 737-900s are longer to fit more passengers, which in turn limits the amount of flare, which in turn increases the landing speed. Which in this case caused a problem. But I agree 1,000% that United could have prevented this with better rules... pilot fatigue must have been a factor and the plane probably never should have taken off the second time that night. But kudos to the crew for keeping it together under difficult circumstances in the end.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by wzrdjr1
pilot fatigue must have been a factor
You know that how?

Originally Posted by wzrdjr1
United could have prevented this with better .....the plane probably never should have taken off the second time that night.
​​​​​​​on what basis do you say that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.