Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Assaulted abroad. Under what circumstances will AC waive change fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assaulted abroad. Under what circumstances will AC waive change fees?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Assaulted abroad. Under what circumstances will AC waive change fees?

Long-time creeper, first-time poster. Unfortunately it is a negative experience tonight that has brought me to create an account and seek your advice and experience.

The basics:
- I am E35K
- I booked Tango fare
- I declined travel insurance
- My credit card insurance will not cover this

I arrived in San Francisco this afternoon. Just a few hours ago, while in my hotel room, I heard a knock on the door. I went to open it, and a man pushed his way in and assaulted me. I am pretty shaken up and do not want to be alone in SFO any longer. My departing flight is Sunday February 25 (it is now Thursday February 22). I want to go home, or at the very least, back to my own country, after this traumatizing experience.

I have reached out to Air Canada three times, and they insist on charging me full fare difference, plus the change fee. This amounts to just short of $600. In fact, it is actually cheaper for me to just buy a new seat than go through all of that. My pockets are not that deep, and I am unable to afford to purchase a new ticket right now.

My questions for you:
1. Is there any hope of me getting out of here tomorrow without being charged like crazy, and if so, who do I contact?
2. Under what circumstances, if any, does AC bend the rules and at least waive a change fee?

I fully accept that they have every legal right to charge me as they are -- but is there no room for some compassion here? Thank you for your help, and for being sensitive to what happened to me this evening.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
It's completely understandable that you no longer feel safe in SF after having been assaulted, and it's disappointing to hear that AC hasn't shown any sympathy for your situation. Unfortunately, if you cant find a sympathetic agent, your options are limited to buying a new ticket or staying there until it's time to depart on your old ticket. Is it possible that you have enough Aeroplan (or AmEx Membership Rewards) points to buy a ticket back home? Alternatively, do you have any friends in a nearby city who might be willing to spend time with you until the flight back?
unsatisfied likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Very sorry to hear about your experience. Welcome go FlyerTalk though!

AC would waive a change fee only if there is a weather emergency where you are located or flying to. In some cases airlines would also waive for immediate family member funeral.

Otherwise, it's on your dime for not having the travel insurance or a flexible ticket. Try not go dwell on that, though. You don't mention if you were hospitalized or had a doctors note, which might be a requirement to have even used insurance. You are E35k, so you have flown many trips in the past, you are likely 'ahead of the game' financially by paying this cost of a new ticket versus insuring every trip.

You did not mention the country or city you are flying to. If you have no bags and are flying to a main hub city, then maybe a hidden city ticket somewhere else that connects in your city is cheaper. Look at Google flights.

On the hotel front, even if you are kicking youself for not using the deadbolt/latch or for unlocking and starting to open the door for a stranger, the hotel should provide a reasonable level of security and show compassion to its guests. **FILE A POLICE REPORT**. SFO hotels are not cheap , so maybe saving 2 nights lodging will help you pay for the airfare as well. If you do end up staying, push your hotel to allow you to depart early or refund any prepaid amount so that you can stay elsewhere

If you decide to spend the $, you might want to wait to buy it at the airport. As you are giving your credit card you might, as a last ditch, hail mary effort, show a police report and ask them to double check if they can find you a good fare or let you pay just a change fee.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 23, 2018 at 2:16 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:25 am

Seems much more appropriate to be looking for assistance from the hotel! Totally agree with expert7700
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by unsatisfied
1. Is there any hope of me getting out of here tomorrow without being charged like crazy, and if so, who do I contact?
No. While I am sympathetic to your situation, the reality does not work in favor of you - AC has done nothing wrong.

2. Under what circumstances, if any, does AC bend the rules and at least waive a change fee?
When the media have been involved.

I fully accept that they have every legal right to charge me as they are -- but is there no room for some compassion here?
You have no proof. It is difficult to bend a rule.

This is why many airlines will insist on full payment first and refund later upon the submission of proof.

Depending on the circumstance, you may be able to recover from the hotel as well. Mind sharing more detail?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses, everybody. It is appreciated, as is your kindness.

To answer some questions:
- I am flying to YVR. They are under a weather advisory, but not for Sunday, so I’m out of luck there.
- I have made four calls now; the last agent told me that they do not have Supervisors or Managers, and that she would write notes on my account instructing anybody I contact in the future not to waive the fees. Excessive, I thought.
- The hotel — its a bit complicated... I cannot make demands of them, given they are loosely associated with a company I work for. With the nature of the assault, I do not want to drag this into my professional life. The hotel has some level of responsibility: there are no security cameras, chain locks on doors, or key card requirements for access to guest floors.
- I have filed a police report, but SFPD will not release paper copies for two weeks. AC remains unsympathetic.

As said, I know it is not the fault of AC. But given the circumstances, at the minimum I would have thought they could waive the change fee. It feels like price gouging and taking advantage of an unfortunate incident, even if that’s not the case. They want 2x the price of my original ticket.

I don’t know anybody in the USA, so it appears as though I am out of luck, and sitting it out in a (well-locked) hotel room until Sunday.

Not sure why, but I really expected better from AC.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
There's a flight available @ 06:35 - 12500 Aeroplan plus $70. You don't have that in your Aeroplan account or Amex MR?

Ron.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:00 am

Can't you rent a car and drive home?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Can't you rent a car and drive home?
One-way drop-offs can be quite expensive.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by newfbc
There's a flight available @ 06:35 - 12500 Aeroplan plus $70. You don't have that in your Aeroplan account or Amex MR?

Ron.
Or $259 including taxes on American leaving at your choice of 6am, 8am, or 12:20pm today sfo-yvr (via phx or lax)

Or $139 tomorrow allegiant early AM OAK-BLI (stone's throw from YVR but I do not know current bus/rental car price)

With these prices and Aeroplan mileage option it is even more obvious why you are still better off not having bought travel insurance. A victim of a crime, without hospitalization, would have had an uphill battle with travel insurance.

If you'd have gotten Air Canada to waive the change fee but charge fare difference.... OR waive fare difference but charge the (?$200) change fee it would still have only saved you a few $.

This isn't a case of hang up and call again. Unfortunately, doing so and costing agents time/resources got your PNR notated. Likely jeopardized the (admittedly minimal) chance of a showing up at the airport with card in hand but double checking for goodwill.
unsatisfied likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 23, 2018 at 3:49 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: *$ Green
- The hotel — its a bit complicated... I cannot make demands of them, given they are loosely associated with a company I work for. With the nature of the assault, I do not want to drag this into my professional life. The hotel has some level of responsibility: there are no security cameras, chain locks on doors, or key card requirements for access to guest floors.
To be honest, I'm more concerned about this than AC not waiving fees.

The hotel is unwilling to help you despite the fact they are associated with your employer? How would they treat a normal guest?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Very sad to hear of what happened to you and wish you the best.

As other readers have suggested AC won't do anything for you (nor will any airline) as too many people have abused airlines by claiming any number of falsehoods to get change fees removed. This is why bereavement fares pretty much don't exist anymore (yes people will stoop to that level to save a few bucks).
unsatisfied likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
(yes people will stoop to that level to save a few bucks)
That is indeed very sad, and not limited to the airline industry.

This tactic starts as early as 1st grade!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm very sorry that this happened to you. Once you get home, however you get home, be sure to contact a mental health professional. The assault that you experienced will take a long term toll, and your recovery will go better if you get help. Trying to get over this on your own is equivalent to trying to set your own arm after a bone break.
Plumber, flyquiet and unsatisfied like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Hi OP,

1. Very sorry to hear about the assault.
2. Welcome to posting on FT.

As has been alluded to in other posts, it's unlikely AC will do anything for you here right now. Otherwise it would be very easy for anyone to abuse.

I would suggest booking an alternate flight home then following up with AC customer relations after you get home. Once you have a police report, you may find them more willing to offer you a refund or other compensation.

There's no guarantee, of course. My father had a near-fatal bike crash in Italy in 2010. He was flown to the hospital in an air ambulance and spent several weeks in the hospital with multiple major surgeries, including having metal plates and screws implanted in his back.

We had to cancel our return tickets and ended up purchasing new one-way tickets for cash. Net result: zero sympathy or compensation. We had a credit good for one year and nothing else. This was an Aeroplan ticket and Aeroplan and AC are not the same, but just to illustrate.

But it's worth a try, because you may get more sympathy, especially in this time of #MeToo (I'm assuming the assault was of a sexual nature).

But I'm also not sure why you're writing off trying to get something from the hotel. I can understand wanting to keep your personal and professional lives separate, but I'm not sure why asking for something from a hotel that's only loosely affiliated with your employer would get back to your employer. This is confidential and the hotel shouldn't be sharing your information with anyone else.

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.