Wiki Posts
Search

SEA over an hour wait for de ice truck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:13 am
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

SEA over an hour wait for de ice truck

Is this common for a world class hub like SEA?
Flight# 2864.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by SSF556
Flight# 2864.
It’s probably common for cities like Seattle, where the annual average minimum temperature is 36 degrees.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Probably needed less there than in the south.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alaska had issues back in December -- Citing deicing-truck problems, Alaska Airlines says it expects to cancel more flights out of Sea-Tac Thursday | Q13 FOX News
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Flight# 2864.
How many days a year, on average, require deicing at all. SIN is pretty world-class, but I bet it has less capacity than SEA.
CarmenOM and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:25 am

If you live in the Seattle area, you know that as soon as one snowflake falls, everything becomes a well...you can fill in the word of your choice. The blame shouldn't be on Delta or SeaTac, but the stupid people that live here. My fifteen minute commute was an hour this morning because of a trace of snow The main roads were fine, but I couldn't get to the main roads because of people doing dumb "stuff."
jamiestr likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:30 am
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

And of course Delta just washes there hands of all blame.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:31 am

Deicing is a fairly routine procedure at SEA, especially for early AM or redeye flights, because there are stretches of cold from time to time that lead to contamination on the wings and I have never had that long a delay - usually 15 minutes or so. My guess is that the people that run the trucks didn't make it in b/c of the trace of snow.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by The Situation
My guess is that the people that run the trucks didn't make it in b/c of the trace of snow.
That's what people tend to forget. The reason (non-RON) deicing doesn't go so well in cities that don't deice often (i.e. the South) is because many of the employees can't get to work. The South, especially, has a propensity to get ice before/after/during a winter weather event which makes roads very difficult, if not completely unusable. If you think about it, is a ~$10/hr. job really worth risking your life/car to get to?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could have been worse:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/delta-...delayed-plane/

Delta passengers rage over 12-hour ‘s–tshow’ on delayed plane

“The significant amount of ice accumulation drove prolonged de-icing times, prompting some flights to return to the gate which in turn impacted wait times for arriving aircraft as Delta crews worked to clear departing aircraft of ice,” Lisa Hellerstedt told the Star."

Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Waited about 45 minutes to de ice in BOS today.
Thankfully DL pads their flight times so much I made my connection.
Took off 53 minutes late and landed 7 minutes late for the record.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SEA should have some reasonable de-icing capability since as someone mentioned earlier, they do have to on numerous occasions during the winter with planes sitting overnight or extended periods at the gate.

Now thats pretty unusual for a 45 min wait to get deiced in Boston. Yes they do have extra time for longer taxi depending on the flight time since there are a few busy departure banks.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Uhhhhh, thats just insane. I don't understand how they'd have pax stuck on a plane that long.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Flight# 2864.
you had it easy & short! My friend flew to California last night with a 3 hour taxiway delay to get deiced before departure!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Still not as bad as ATL. Flew out of ATL last month and it took us more than two hours to get de-iced in ATL with only ONE De-Icing Truck in service for the entire airport at 10pm. (Longer than the flight to DCA itself)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.