Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid and award tickets - upgrade opt out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Paid and award tickets - upgrade opt out

I'm about to book a family trip on AA. My preference is to book my own flight on a paid ticket to earn EQM/EQD, but book the other travelers as award tickets. I'm aware that this cannot be on the same PNR, but I've done this in the past separately and it worked out by reserving adjacent seats, asking the agent to enter a note to keep family together etc.
However, on this specific flight it's pretty likely that I'd get upgraded (I'm EXP) and it's months out, and I assume these upgrades clear automatically at which point a manual "note" would not have any effect. My fear is that I'd get potentially get upgraded, my economy seat given up and reserved by somebody else before I can call AA to get downgraded... if that makes sense.
Is there any way how I can opt out of the auto-upgrade after booking?
The alternatives I can see are to book me on the same award ticket (= no earning) or everyone else on the same paid ticket (= $$$).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Why not just let things go? If you get upgraded, give the upgraded seat to whoever ends up sitting in the seat you want. I can't imagine any coach passenger refusing to trade for a seat in F.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just call the EXP desk and have them unrequest the upgrade for you on this flight.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Just call the EXP desk and have them unrequest the upgrade for you on this flight.
I didn't know that's in fact possible. In that case, that's exactly what I need.
It's probably correct that I could trade seat on board in case I'd get upgraded, but I just like to avoid having that hassle and risk. It's going to be my wife and small kids on the remaining seats in Y, and she would likely kill me if that trade didn't happen for any reason.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by matt85
I didn't know that's in fact possible. In that case, that's exactly what I need.
It's probably correct that I could trade seat on board in case I'd get upgraded, but I just like to avoid having that hassle and risk. It's going to be my wife and small kids on the remaining seats in Y, and she would likely kill me if that trade didn't happen for any reason.

Thanks!
Book your ticket. Then book theirs. Then call AA to 1) take you off the upgrade list and 2) seat everyone together.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Why not just let things go? If you get upgraded, give the upgraded seat to whoever ends up sitting in the seat you want. I can't imagine any coach passenger refusing to trade for a seat in F.
Unless that passenger is trying to stay near family just like matt85!
jtav559 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Unless that passenger is trying to stay near family just like matt85!
One would suspect that if they were trying to stay near family that they would be near the family when purchasing tickets and reserving seats. An EXP upgrade can happen as much as 100 hours prior. I suspect that any families would purchase and select seats well before that.
It would be even less likely if matt85 selects the middle seat for himself, as those are usually the last to go.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Or, do what you were thinking of doing originally, and then give the upgrade to your wife. They like that kind of stuff.
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danbrew
Or, do what you were thinking of doing originally, and then give the upgrade to your wife. They like that kind of stuff.
That has a nice touch but, though hard to believe, my wife would in fact prefer to stay with me and the kids in Y, instead of sitting alone in F...
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
lol. i've been married 25 years and if we ever ended up in coach with an option to upgrade one of us? my wife would be up in 1st class talking to her next husband in about two seconds...
apeortdz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.