Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about BA ticket endorsement (-V2R)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire

Hi, I have some flights booked in the future and if I check them in Checkmytrip I can see an Endorsement/Restriction field which says: NONREF/-V2R
My fare code is displayed as IV2R.

Can someone tell me what is the -V2R means in the endorsement.

Also when I booked these flights BA says that I can change them on the day of travelling for free (same airport/route/etc) however if I check in expertflyer IV2R farecode I couldn't find it anywhere which says free changes on the day. Is this free flight changes on the day is something a special BA add-on? Why the farecode doesn't say that? (I might be just blind)

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
-V2R means that it is a fare that is changeable on the day, why BA have never put this in the fare rules is anyone’s guess. Presumably they don’t want the hassle of making a different fare rule for the HBO and the plus version of each fare?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it is a Club Europe ticket (it's not clear from the post) the Same Day Change is probably there, and it would have said so clearly during the booking process. It's reasonably well known which fares get SDC but it's always useful to take a screen shot during the booking process for future reference. The known problem is that sometimes if you make one change the endorsement falls off the booking and then if SDC is the second change the agent can't find it, but that's another reason for taking a screen shot.

The fare basis would show in the e-ticket tab and with ExpertFlyer you can usually get the fare rules there.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes its a Club Europe ticket. I just tried to look in Expertflyer the fare rules but as Airprox mentioned it's not there. I had some experience once at LHR ticketing desk where I tried to move myself to an earlier flight but the agent said I can't as my ticket doesn't allow that, etc. I remembered that when I booked it was a SDC fare option but at the airport I just couldn't do much. So I decided to look into this how I can "prove" hence my question.
I guess I just need to take screenshots of the booking.

I have only one question left. I have a booking in the future which was multiple segments (all CE) and when I booked it on BA.com I've got a different fare rule explanation. (similar wording what you find in expertflyer) Obviously that doesn't have on ba.com the wording that it's a SDC ticket. However that ticket has the usual endorsement as NONREF/-V2R. Is that mean that I still have SDC feature on the whole booking? If yes I guess the only way to "prove" it if I take a screenshot of checkmytrip and show them the endorsement...
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Connecting CE tickets are typically not SDC, if it was then BA.com would say so (and hence my screen shot suggestion). If it's not mentioned then it's definitely not SDC. SDC is usually point to point for CE, it can be on connecting Plus tickets in ET.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

I guess then is the only way to know is during booking and taking a screenshot when it's offered. Without the screenshot then it is not possible to find it out if that was offered during booking or not?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
I guess then is the only way to know is during booking and taking a screenshot when it's offered. Without the screenshot then it is not possible to find it out if that was offered during booking or not?
Not easily, no, hence the suggestion. If it's a point to point routing then you can pretty much rely on it, at least for the first change, though there are apparently some routes which don't offer SDC.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Same Day Change

For some reason even in the “fare rules” we read in the “Fare Qoute Display” on Amadeus it doesn’t mention Free Change on the Day...

We just know if V2 is contained in the Fare Basis that it is Free Change on the Day eligible. Also there is certain keywords within bookings (except flights operated by Iberia / ticketed by Iberia where only the V2 in Fare basis tell us) which let us know it’s eligable.

They wouldn’t need to create separate fare rules for HBO fares as HBO Fare basis usually contain “Z0R” rather than “V2R”.......

SDC only applies to Point to Point journeys, openjaw at origin or destination included. Never on through tickets (unless it’s separate tickets within one PNR)
Anonba likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThisIsntOM
For some reason even in the “fare rules” we read in the “Fare Qoute Display” on Amadeus it doesn’t mention Free Change on the Day...

We just know if V2 is contained in the Fare Basis that it is Free Change on the Day eligible. Also there is certain keywords within bookings (except flights operated by Iberia / ticketed by Iberia where only the V2 in Fare basis tell us) which let us know it’s eligable.

They wouldn’t need to create separate fare rules for HBO fares as HBO Fare basis usually contain “Z0R” rather than “V2R”.......

SDC only applies to Point to Point journeys, openjaw at origin or destination included. Never on through tickets (unless it’s separate tickets within one PNR)
Thanks for the explanation. One question. How do I know if its a separate ticket within one PNR? So let say I have a fictional booking from MAN-LHR-XXX and back If I check checkmytrip and I see e ticket number like 125-123456789-90 or something like that is that mean I have two separate ticket within one PNR so that would be eligible for SDC? (also let's assume if I book separately both individual segment both would be eligible for SDC.)
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Those are conjunction tickets. Separate tickets on CMT would show as:

125-1234567890 - Manchester-London
125-0987654321 - London-XXX
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Krisz
Thanks for the explanation. One question. How do I know if its a separate ticket within one PNR? So let say I have a fictional booking from MAN-LHR-XXX and back If I check checkmytrip and I see e ticket number like 125-123456789-90 or something like that is that mean I have two separate ticket within one PNR so that would be eligible for SDC? (also let's assume if I book separately both individual segment both would be eligible for SDC.)
See above message from BA6501.

As mentioned, when it’s 125-123456789-90 it’s a conjunction ticket.... an e-ticket can hold 4 sectors per e-ticket, when a booking contains more than 4 sectors you get conjunction tickets, with maximum of 4 conjunction tickets (so maximum 16 sectors)

Conjunction tickets will always be consecutive numbers.

Separate tickets under one PNR (usually booked through agents) is when it’s literally 2 separate e-tickets contained within one PNR.

If you booked 2 separate tickets (assuming you mean 2 separate PNRs too) MAN - LHR one booking, LHR - NCE another booking, as long as they contain the Fare basis V2 (basically, not a HBO or redemption ticket etc) then yes you could do SDC as long as there is the availability in the cabin you have booked.

Remember though, if separate tickets your bags won’t be through checked (if you have any) and although this is not currently the case, for a short time if you missed your connecting flight you was charged to change it (although a savvy traveller would just same day change the connecting flight to the later flight as soon as finding out about the delay if the new ETA got them there in time for the last flight)
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Is the above still generally true?

I was ticketed LHR-GLA-LCY on NV2R fare according to TA receipt, and original rules / benefits showed SDC. I then had to change to LHR-EDI/GLA-LCY to squeeze an extra office stop in, and new receipt from TA showed fare code as VV2R. I checked that the 1PC hold baggage was there as indication that I hadn't move to NOBAG fare, as I thought bag and SDC travelled together.

At LHR-EDI check-in I asked to move to an earlier flight, and they said SDC was not on ticket. I took original BP to lounge (where conversation was easier) and asked again with same result. Should SDC have stayed there, and could / should I have asked them to find it on original booking and honour it? Or do I need to double check with TA that they have kept it in place?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 4, 2023 at 12:15 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Is the above still generally true?

I was ticketed LHR-GLA-LCY on NV2R fare according to TA receipt, and original rules / benefits showed SDC. I then had to change to LHR-EDI/GLA-LCY to squeeze an extra office stop in, and new receipt from TA showed fare code as VV2R. I checked that the 1PC hold baggage was there as indication that I hadn't move to NOBAG fare, as I thought bag and SDC travelled together.

At LHR-EDI check-in I asked to move to an earlier flight, and they said SDC was not on ticket. I took original BP to lounge (where conversation was easier) and asked again with same result. Should SDC have stayed there, and could / should I have asked them to find it on original booking and honour it? Or do I need to double check with TA that they have kept it in place?
SDC or FCOD is not available for open jaw tickets so when you changed to an open jaw FCOD probably was no longer available for your new routing.
FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets
Anonba likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
SDC or FCOD is not available for open jaw tickets so when you changed to an open jaw FCOD probably was no longer available for your new routing.
FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets
Ah yes - that would explain it. Should perhaps have traded in for two one-ways then as I'm probably now stuck on original return segment .

Original LHR-GLA-LCY did mention FCOD in benefits when confirming booking, and I think I've used in on that routing previously. Is ex-/in-LON a known exception to "no open jaw", which I think can be used (correctly or otherwise) to mean different "home" airports or land segment at "destination end"? I'm aware that FCOD does not allow shifting between LON airports.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
LHR-GLA-LCY is not an open-jaw as LHR and LCY are co-terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.