Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing Prices for Multi-City Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Comparing Prices for Multi-City Tickets

I'm currently being drive mad by trying to book a BHX-DUB-LHR/LCY open jaw. I want to do DUB-LON in J, but of course that's not available for BHX-DUB, as it's an EI codeshare. Third party comparison sites can't handle a search for a multi-class booking (at least the ones I've tried), but the BA website requires me to select flights before showing me the prices. Do I actually need to manually select every combination to see them, or is there something else I'm missing?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Itamatrix will handle this no problem.
rossmacd likes this.

Last edited by madfish; Feb 18, 2018 at 5:57 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish
Itamatrix will handle this no problem.
I tried but failed. That said, I'm only an initiate in the dark arts of the Matrix, so it's very likely there's something I'm missing. I used the drop-down menu to select the cabin, should I have left that in 'cheapest available' and use the routing codes instead?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mordac
I tried but failed. That said, I'm only an initiate in the dark arts of the Matrix, so it's very likely there's something I'm missing. I used the drop-down menu to select the cabin, should I have left that in 'cheapest available' and use the routing codes instead?
Notice the f bc=i this will force matrix to give you that segment in business despite asking for lowest fare later on.

Mordac likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:00 am

ITA Matrix is generally your starting point for multi-class multi-city - it's giving me a price of £187 on random dates in April, EI A outbound, BA I inbound. £206 if you want the outbound on the BA codeshare. However you may get cheaper through BA since ITA isn't that reliable for SH Y fares due to Basic etc.

Kayak does now offer multi-class multi-city searches but it's not especially reliable.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Slightly off topic, sorry, but I found a rather nice fare out of ARN into PER and back to OSL with QR for December. Feeding will be with BA at start and end. Fare was the non BAflights, via reasonable connection time at DOH. Took s copy of the fare located via Itax Matrix, called QR and they would not recognise the fare..saying does not exist...so are we sure Itax is that good?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nivsy
Slightly off topic, sorry, but I found a rather nice fare out of ARN into PER and back to OSL with QR for December. Feeding will be with BA at start and end. Fare was the non BAflights, via reasonable connection time at DOH. Took s copy of the fare located via Itax Matrix, called QR and they would not recognise the fare..saying does not exist...so are we sure Itax is that good?
Are we sure that QR is that good?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Qr tends to be useless on the phone! Get a good TA or try and book at the airport ticketing office.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:08 am

ITA is generally extremely good at displaying what *should* be bookable. Usually if the airline says no, it's because:

(a) useless agent
(b) wrong point of sale (shouldn't be an issue on QR as their married segment logic is usually consistent across POS, although distribution fee can vary)
(c) occasionally, YQ can be erroneous

An exception is shorthaul Y fares as mentioned above, but that should tidy up as BA's fare structure becomes normalised.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Massive thanks to everyone who helped. I managed to work out I was supposed to use the +CABIN extension codes on ITA Matrix. I should have known there would have been a way to make it work. Couldn't find a guide for it easily though, annoyingly took a bit of trial and error. Oh well, learn something every day!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

It priced at £217.49 for my dates, but I could buy it from BA at £201.49 (not the first time this has happened either, but I'm certainly not complaining). Thanks again to everyone who helped!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The £16 difference can be explained by the fact that there is an £8 charge per fare component, known as DTC (Distribution Technology Charge), for sectors not booked directly with BA or those agents that use the preferred platform known as NDC. So if you book with BA it will be often cheaper than external agencies.

https://www.britishairways.com/asset...ogy-charge.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.