Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special meal requests in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec club
Special meal requests in First Class (Muslim or Kosher)

Hi

Will be flying in BA first class soon (on redemption) & was wondering how special meal requests affect the in-flight meal experience? Will the food still be at the First Class standard?

Specifically, am planning to order either a muslim meal or kosher meal. Any experience with this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Pkchips; Dec 10, 2017 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The vegan / vegetarian food thread

not complelty the same thing, but have a look through this thread from the Dashboard
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec club
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The vegan / vegetarian food thread

not complelty the same thing, but have a look through this thread from the Dashboard
Thanks - took a read. So the message is that veg/vegan meals are lower quality right?

Would this be the same for Kosher or Muslim meals?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
The kosher meals can be excellent, but only really ex-LHR. They may be acceptable from other destinations, but could be awful!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:18 am

My understanding is that special meals are not differentiated by class of travel.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If you don’t really need a special meal the regular food is much better in my opinion.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
My understanding is that special meals are not differentiated by class of travel.
Kosher meals ex-LHR are definitely differen for each class of travel. The First Class meals can be amazing (just not breakfast).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If you don’t really need a special meal the regular food is much better in my opinion.
I concur, although I don’t request special meals, my OH had it on her profile until recently (ISTR gluten free) and frankly you end up with what I call the lowest common denominator bland unimaginative mediocrity you could possibly imagine. She just got fed up of it when everyone else gets something half decent. Keep in mind that if you order a special meal, don’t expect to be able to choose of the menu, even in F.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Pkchips
Hi

Will be flying in BA first class soon (on redemption) & was wondering how special meal requests affect the in-flight meal experience? Will the food still be at the First Class standard?

Specifically, am planning to order either a muslim meal or kosher meal. Any experience with this?

Thanks!
Meals differ from class of travel. My experience in the past six months (Kosher meals)

F - Forget Breakfast, Lunch/Dinner are better and definitely differentiated from CW ex-LHR. Sometimes they load two main course (meat or fish) and if you are really hungry you can get both. They ask you to break the seals of the tray but then they bring you each course separately (still wrapped). Very good ex-LHR, ex-TLV and ex-JFK

CW - Breakfast is a disaster (can you see a pattern here?) ex-LHR, Great breakfast ex-Sin (dairy). Meal ex-LHR differentiated, I thought I had an economy meal ex-SIN (unresponvive crew just handed me the tray without tablecloth, etc).. Breakfast ex-TLV very nice. Ex-JNB dinner was better than ex-SIN but breakfast was not great.

CE - EX-LHR Breakfast suffers from very 'cardboardy' omelette or scrambled eggs. The other meal... quantities are such that is not a real meal, however little you want to eat, other than in the longer flights (FCO, MLA, HEL, IST) . Inbound... usually loaded at LHR (definitely true for BLQ, VCE, MIL, FCO, MLA) and occasionally - very rarely, as in 1 flight out of a total of 12 - not loaded.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Had a great diabetic meal in BA F.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
BA F Kosher meals from LHR are very good. There are some of my pictures in the BA food pictures thread.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
My wife needs to have Gluten Free meals and we find that traveling in F or J (or CE in Domestic) the meals ex-LHR have been excellent.
However on flights to the UK from North America the Gluten Free meals are usually very poor, basic and bland, and have helped my wife accumulate extra Avios - but she’d rather just have a decent meal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.