Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 staff/crew exit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA; LH; AF
LHR T5 staff/crew exit

I tried a quick search on this but couldn’t find anything; wonder if anyone can shed some light, please?
When moving from airside to landslide after arriving at T5 and exiting customs, you walk along the corridor and before the HEX ticket booth and the duty free on arrival shops is a staff/crew exit on the left hand side. It doesn’t appear to have any security on it beyond a usually rather sleepily looking security guard - no key card access and the doors have always been open. Is it all possible for a mere passenger to cut through there on the way to the car park? I walk past it most weeks, then have to double back on myself, passing that exit again on my way to the car park, and it just seems inefficient to walk the loop when there is a perfectly serviceable cut through...
I presume there’s some kind of “all pax must pass the shops” reason for it, but it’s starting to annoy me!
Thanks!
florens and fin_dg like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No it’s not possible, the security staff member will redirect you, that is the reason for them sitting there.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:42 pm

It is another one of the things I find astonishing about T5 ... that someone is paid to man that door.

It could be security card protected ... code protected or some other system ... but no ... it takes a person sitting there.

Would it be THAT bad if a few people slipped through without being asked 'Heathrow Express Tickets'?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980
... without being asked 'Heathrow Express Tickets'?
I usually think "you don't serve Edinburgh" when passing the HEX ticket desk before continuing towards the departure lounge upstairs.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It is another one of the things I find astonishing about T5 ... that someone is paid to man that door.

It could be security card protected ... code protected or some other system ... but no ... it takes a person sitting there.

Would it be THAT bad if a few people slipped through without being asked 'Heathrow Express Tickets'?
Perhaps they are also there to prevent people from heading to the baggage hall?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Perhaps they are also there to prevent people from heading to the baggage hall?
I dont recall a similar person on the other side. It is just on the exit near baggage 7-9 if I remember right.

In any case ... if reentry was a worry - a code lock would do it.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:15 pm

I dont recall a similar person on the other side. It is just on the exit near baggage 7-9 if I remember right.

In any case ... if reentry was a worry - a code lock would do it.
There is a similar ‘guard’ at the domestic arrivals too. They are there to prevent people re-entering the secure area/baggage halls.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:48 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
There is one reason and only one reason why PAX are not allowed through the staff shortcut and that is that HAL wants to force us to walk past as many shops as possible.
Markie, LCY8737, florens and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bjorns
There is one reason and only one reason why PAX are not allowed through the staff shortcut and that is that HAL wants to force us to walk past as many shops as possible.
Correct, this has been discussed in the past. If they were there to stop people going the other way, they'd be facing the other way!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
T5 arrivals duty free still is very meagre compared to what you cop at SYD arrivals duty free.

OSL one is quite something else (although quicker to get through than SYD) but I do find something I want to buy there, unlike T5 or SYD.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
T5 arrivals duty free still is very meagre compared to what you cop at SYD arrivals duty free.
The difference being that SYD (as with OSL and KEF) permits duty free purchase on the way in, whereas the UK does not. So HAL's shop is full-price goodies (and therefore rarely worth it), but Australia can provide some (relative) bargains, and as such is more popular.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by bjorns
Which shops are bypassed using the staff exit?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Which shops are bypassed using the staff exit?
Presumably that small world duty free just before the exit doors to the ground floor concourse by international arrivals...
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
So HAL's shop is full-price goodies (and therefore rarely worth it) ...
Obviously, it depends on what you mean by "full-price" - but AIUI what is in the Heathrow arrivals shops is at the same price as in the departures shops. If you buy from the arrivals shop, it is of course a tax-paid duty-paid purchase, and the shop must account to HMRC for all of that. But that is no different from many of the purchases made in the departures shops, and thus if it's worth buying upstairs (wherever you're heading), it may well be worth buying downstairs.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Presumably that small world duty free just before the exit doors to the ground floor concourse by international arrivals...
Isn't that immediately next to the door?

Where is the 'guard' positioned to prevent people returning to the baggage hall?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.