Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIRFZIpVQfiQRTBdwi0aZctVyQauU-v3UTfAL-6l8Ms/edit?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) Ł10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ^ ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat

Aerospace Bristol Banner (copyright Aerospace Bristol)

As the title says, an FT BA DO in Bristol, with an afternoon visit to the Aerospace Bristol museum (including Concorde) if enough interest can be garnered!

Saturday, the 24th Feb. 2018 is the date to put in your calendar for the DO, as it is easier for me to organise then and it means people can arrive on the day or stay for the weekend.

Dates that were proposed for the DO were the following three and more people wanted the 24th than any other date...

6th Jan. 2018 or
20th Jan. 2018 or
24th Feb. 2018.

Please post your interest in attending the DO / museum tour if you can make the 24th Feb. 2018 date. I know that these are quite early in the new year and likely people wondering why this date in Feb? Well, they are before an half term dates, they are dates I am available! and it would be a great way to break up the Winter blues!

I'm suggesting we meet at Aerospace Bristol at 13:00 on the day, have an organised tour of the museum (which can be arranged but minimum group size is 20 people), and then later that evening meet up for a nice evening meal and some drinks in the city centre. Entrance to the museum is Ł 15 / person (including guided tour if we have 20 people) or Ł 10 (if we don't have guided tour but still need 20 people) or if the group is smaller than that, it is the normal entrance fee of Ł 15 / person, which lets you come back as many times as you wish for up to a year from the date on the ticket.

I live local to Bristol so can help with queries.

More details on hotels, transport, etc...to follow...

Some pictures to whet the appetite: (from a visit to the museum I did today)

Concorde Poster

Concorde G-BOAF

View from the BotB!

Many People Love Concorde Display

Concorde Food and Drink Items

Concorde display

Concorde Seats

Bristol F2B Fighter

Lovely Display

Harrier and Engine

Jupiter, the first Bristol Engine

Bullet Poster

Concorde Pilots are rare indeed!

Last edited by BotB; Nov 28, 2017 at 3:16 pm Reason: Date for the DO now fixed.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Reserved
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Obviously, I've not included everything the museum has to offer on display, that would ruin things! So, these are teasers, there are some lovely additional bits for both the Bristol historical aspect as well as the Concorde hanger area I've not posted pictures about. You can indeed board G-BOAF and have a look around. You can walk around her on the ground as well as on an elevated mezzanine.

Hoping this will find resonance for a DO. In any case, the museum is well worth a visit if you happen to be in Bristol.

Look forward to seeing if there is interest. Discuss!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
The 6th January or 24th Feb would be ideal for me.

I would 100% be up for this
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thank you for organising this BotB ^

Whilst I am pretty well booked up early next year already, I should be able to change a few things and come if it is on 20 January - the other two dates wouldn’t be possible for me unfortunately.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Count me in!

​​​​6 Jan or 24 Feb work for me :-)
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Well done for organising this BotB ^

20th January would be good for me but the other 2 I won't be able to make it. I'd probably just come for the Do and not the Concorde tour.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Damn. Just booked a flight back from LHR to BSL on 20th before seeing this. I am highly interested, so might be able to rebook the flight to the 21st. So please note me down as a maybe and interested for the 20th.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:24 pm

I’m in on any of the three dates.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Me & my hubbie can do 24.02. Count us in!!
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Love to see Concorde

I would love to attend, but honestly none of those dates are possible for me.

At present June is about the earliest for me.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
Yup I am in. Close to home 😀
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Dont normally do DOs but this seems a lovely idea
6/1 too soon after new year break but other dates good
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
20 January would be best for me, but nothing blocking any of these yet.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I'd be interested if it was on the 24th Feb , or later in the year.
BotB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.