Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA PreCheck Rule for Disabled Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:19 pm

... And your companion will, too.

This isn't news to some of us who have been patted down every trip in the last 5 years.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

This isn't news to some of us who have been patted down every trip in the last 5 years.
Do you always alarm the walk-thru metal detector at TSA screening checkpoints, are you unable to use the WTMD as a Precheck passenger? Or is it a hair or clothing thing?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do you always alarm the walk-thru metal detector at TSA screening checkpoints, are you unable to use the WTMD as a Precheck passenger? Or is it a hair or clothing thing?
Hair? Clothing?

The issue here is how disabled pax are subject to pat-downs even when they have Pre-check, and how their companions get the same treatment.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't action be taken against TSA citing the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Hair? Clothing?

The issue here is how disabled pax are subject to pat-downs even when they have Pre-check, and how their companions get the same treatment.
For those with PreCheck boarding passes at airports with dedicated PreCheck screening lanes, if the person routinely ends up getting a pat down every time for years and years over many trips, then the person must be meeting a condition that requires the TSA employees to do a patdown. What about you is the TSA observing that is prompting the TSA to always do this to you?

If the companions aren’t in physical contact with the person subject to patdown during the screening process and are not claiming to transport the assistance equipment/devices/medicines/belongings of the passenger being given a patdown, then why would the companions be selected for patdowns always too? If they are in contact and/or claiming to transport on behalf of the patdown selectee, then that patdown may be routine even for those with Precheck boarding passes and aren’t even companions of the disabled.

What is the “new rule” from the TSA for those using mobility assistance devices? Pat downs of wheelchair-users and transporters doesn’t seem new to me. And PreCheck isn’t an exemption from being screened with a patdown if unable to clear the WTMD machines without alarming and/or accompanying baggage unable to fit into the X-ray machine at the passenger screening checkpoint.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 22, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

It is for Ms. Van Dyken-Rouen: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...nation-airport
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Can't action be taken against TSA citing the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990?
What exactly are you suggesting is in the ADA that covers air travel or, in this case, security prior to air travel?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira
What exactly are you suggesting is in the ADA that covers air travel or, in this case, security prior to air travel?
I didn't suggest anything, I asked a question.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I didn't suggest anything, I asked a question.
While phrased in the form of a question, you were to me in effect suggesting that action be taken citing the ADA so I asked how it might apply. That was all.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:44 pm
Suspended

While phrased in the form of a question, you were to me in effect suggesting that action be taken citing the ADA so I asked how it might apply. That was all.
I think the rationale behind the question was more or less about if there is a law — ADA or otherwise — that would protect the disabled (with and/or without Precheck) from being more frequently groped by the TSA than would happen to those who aren’t disabled.

The ADA doesn’t stop TSA from patdowns of passengers with wheelchairs or crutches or other mobility aids.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phrased as a question because it was simply a question.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For those with PreCheck boarding passes at airports with dedicated PreCheck screening lanes, if the person routinely ends up getting a pat down every time for years and years over many trips, then the person must be meeting a condition that requires the TSA employees to do a patdown. What about you is the TSA observing that is prompting the TSA to always do this to you?
Our "crime" in the eyes of the TSA is traveling with a prescription liquid medication over 3 ounces and refusing to allow them to open the bottle and stick their little explosive detector swab in it. It is specially compounded for the individual who relies on it and not something that could be replaced while traveling so allowing to the TSA to contaminate it is not an option. Hence we all get patted down, usually in an especially retaliatory way. When we have Pre-Check they do it the same way as when we don't.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Many recent reports of wheelchair passengers being forced to stand while the chair is taken away for separate screening.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29094691-post18.html

One woman reported that her mother who has only 1 leg had to stand for 10 minutes while the chair was taken away. All wheelchair passengers need to be screened the way PreCheck wheelchair passengers are screened, minus the grope. No one should ever be forced to stand holding on to something; that's abuse of the handicapped.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:51 am
Suspended

Our "crime" in the eyes of the TSA is traveling with a prescription liquid medication over 3 ounces and refusing to allow them to open the bottle and stick their little explosive detector swab in it. It is specially compounded for the individual who relies on it and not something that could be replaced while traveling so allowing to the TSA to contaminate it is not an option. Hence we all get patted down, usually in an especially retaliatory way. When we have Pre-Check they do it the same way as when we don't.
As someone who is often with travel party members who can avail of a L/G/A exemption of sort, I've realized this: when using PreCheck-dedicated lanes, not disclosing the use of the exemption has worked out way better on average than disclosing the need to use the L/G/A exemption for special needs circumstances. It's a case of YMMV, but have you tried that route when it omes to the prescription liquid medication? My travel party members have gone this route over prescription medications and infant/toddler nutritional items in the PreCheck lanes, and the only time I had to push back was when they wanted to seize bottled water in a c. 16oz bottle that was going to be used as part of a mix that does qualify for L/G/A exemption at the TSA screening checkpoints (at least if disclosed prior to screening).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.