Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa rewards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

South Africa rewards

Looking to book an around the world trip with aeroplan and have used up my stopovers but would like to also travel JNB to CPT.

What other award programs would be best to redeem this and would be relatively easy to collect points? Or are there none and a cash ticket would be better?

I searched up Avios, costs 15000 roundtrip but $200 in taxes...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The cash fares are usually very reasonable for a 2 hour flight given the massive volumes of people doing that route. Flying Comair (BA) is pleasant with possibly the world's best domestic lounges, but not especially necessary.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA VS
The range of fares and rotations between JNB / CPT are enormous. Something like 20 flights a day. Just book and pay cash, the exchange rate is in your favour. Comair, who have the BA franchise also have their own LCC Kulula who are excellent. I have used all the carriers and some that are now extinct and the cost of the taxes will be almost as much as the fair, just travel at the slack times of the day.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
With 200 USD taxes for sure go for the ticket cost instead of Miles redemption. Shop around with airlines that fly the route ( BA(Comair) , Kulula , Mango , Flysafair and SAA. Black Friday coming up so would have a look at tickets from today onwards until Sunday as you are sure to get a way cheaper price then usual , travelstart.co.za also have some decent Blackfriday sales for domestic routings.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:46 pm

If you're being quoted $200 in taxes it's because you're not eligible for Reward Flight Saver. Have you earned an avios in the past year?

The RFS capped taxes are only £56 / about US$75 round-trip. Makes the reward option much more viable although still might be better value to buy a cash fare.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: *A
Check out United's new 8K awards. Not sure what the taxes will be but will open up SAA availability.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Cash fares can be very cheap, check out LCCs Kulula, Mango and FlySafair. One way can be had for £30 most of the time, outside the highest peak season. Saying that, cash fares on BA and SAA aren't usually too expensive. Alternatively, think about the train one way - besides the regular Shosholoza Meyl, there is the Premiere Classe "luxury" train operating. Check https://www.seat61.com/SouthAfrica.htm for details.

signol
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Flying Comair (BA) is pleasant with possibly the world's best domestic lounges, but not especially necessary.
So you need to fly J on Comair for access to SLOW lounges?
I'm doing this flight in Jan and am yet to book my ticket - would love to check a SLOW lounge but no status
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The RFS capped taxes are only £56 / about US$75 round-trip. Makes the reward option much more viable although still might be better value to buy a cash fare.
Yes: with the Comair levels of RFS fee, it can often still be better value to buy a cash ticket on the same flight (let alone on other airlines) - so it's always worth looking at both options.
Originally Posted by shadowline
Standard BA access rules will get you in.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, EK Blue, Best Western Diamond Select, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shadowline
I'm doing this flight in Jan and am yet to book my ticket - would love to check a SLOW lounge but no status
We booked Y with Comair JNB to PLZ and got a AUP for around R450 pp (£25ish). This I compared to way over £100 for POUG! So it might be worth holding out if you aren't flying JNB to CPT!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
BA/Comair in South Africa -- Recommendations

I'm planning a trip to South Africa. Due to the insolvency of SAA, I won't go with *A but intend to book BA.

I'm looking at flights by BA Comair (e.g., BA6413/BA6417/...), some of which are operated by Kulala. Questions:

1.) As a OW Sapphire, I would have lounge access even if flying eco, right?

2.) Avios redemptions for business class seem like reasonably good value (economy makes less sense IMO). Is the upgrade to business worth it? I'm not sure what to except, a European-style short-haul business or something else. I didn't find out that much other than that the flights are operated by Kulala which is using a 737-800.

EDIT: Oops, I intended to make a new thread. This thread was just one I found via the search function.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1flyer
I'm looking at flights by BA Comair (e.g., BA6413/BA6417/...), some of which are operated by Kulala. Questions:

1.) As a OW Sapphire, I would have lounge access even if flying eco, right?

2.) Avios redemptions for business class seem like reasonably good value (economy makes less sense IMO). Is the upgrade to business worth it? I'm not sure what to except, a European-style short-haul business or something else. I didn't find out that much other than that the flights are operated by Kulala which is using a 737-800.
1) Yes if you are on a BA flight number and are Sapphire then there is lounge access - if there is a lounge open for your particular route - and they are rather good on food, perhaps less good if you are a liquor person. See the Dashboard / Lounges guides for information.

2) Club class is a bit better than Europe, in terms of catering but essentially it's Club Europe style seating on a 737 if you remember the LGW flights. I recently did DUR-PLZ where they served a 2 course hot breakfast on a short flight, and that was tricky to complete, timing wise. You don't always get POUGs or AUPs on Comair so redemptions is a good way to get into Club, or connections into longhaul services. Traveller class still offers a sandwich and drink from the trolley. The "is it worth it" issue is a personal matter which only you can resolve.

And note the new LHR-DUR service, a full thread here and there's an offer online for UK AMEX users which may get you £100 off.
New BA Routes 2018: Durban, KwaZulu-Natal (DUR)
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I recently did DUR-PLZ where they served a 2 course hot breakfast on a short flight, and that was tricky to complete, timing wise.
I was on the PLZ-CPT leg of a DUR-PLZ-CPT flight in Club a few weeks ago, a gentleman behind who had originated in DUR was offered the exact same 2 course breakfast again on the second leg!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MarcD
I was on the PLZ-CPT leg of a DUR-PLZ-CPT flight in Club a few weeks ago, a gentleman behind who had originated in DUR was offered the exact same 2 course breakfast again on the second leg!
That's what happens on those flights. I've been offered a second meal on the second sector more than once!
1flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.