Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

received email invite to check in - after I've already checked in - significant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

received email invite to check in - after I've already checked in - significant?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I did OLCI for flights YVR-YYZ-EWR tomorrow. About two hours after checking in on-line, I got an email inviting me to check in for those same flights. What does this signify?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
You're putting way too much faith into AC's IT capabilities. It means absolutely nothing. The hamster that spins the wheel that powers the check-in reminders finally woke up, and that machine doesn't talk to the other ancient machine that handles departure control.

TL;DR don't worry
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
You're doomed! If AC has sent you an invite to check-in, after you have already checked in ... that almost certainly means that AC have already cancelled your reservation, and also phoned the taxi companies to prevent you from driving as an alternative.

You're doomed.

Sorry about that. You're totally doomed.

They have probably sold your house too.

Or ... small chance here ... it might mean that the hamster that spins the wheel that powers the check-in reminders finally woke up, and that machine doesn't talk to the other ancient machine that handles departure control.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what's new?

Not sure how many times we experienced this...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I actually got an email to checkin 3 mins after OLCI opened. And I was able to OLCI, successfully, on my phone.

Now that was rare...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canopus27

You're doomed.

Sorry about that. You're totally doomed.

They have probably sold your house too.

I was wondering why I had trouble getting the key to unlock my front door tonight!
yyz_atc_qq likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
On several of my recent AC flights, I'll check in using the app, but won't receive a boarding pass. I'll show as checked in, and if I call in or ask an airport agent, they'll confirm that I'm checked in and seated, but the app will still insist that I've yet to check in.

On yesterday's AC34, this happened again, and also moved me from the 5D I booked with an agent, to 1D, so the glitches aren't nothing.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
On several of my recent AC flights, I'll check in using the app, but won't receive a boarding pass. I'll show as checked in, and if I call in or ask an airport agent, they'll confirm that I'm checked in and seated, but the app will still insist that I've yet to check in.

On yesterday's AC34, this happened again, and also moved me from the 5D I booked with an agent, to 1D, so the glitches aren't nothing.
I had this a while ago, kept telling me to check in and eventually gave up. Airport said I was checked in and gave me the BP. No seat issues. I do wonder if you had an aircraft change causing the seat move?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I checked in for a UA flight yesterday, and received the invitation after I checked in. It is not just A.C..
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94
I had this a while ago, kept telling me to check in and eventually gave up. Airport said I was checked in and gave me the BP. No seat issues. I do wonder if you had an aircraft change causing the seat move?
SYD-YVR, as far as I know it was the same 77L that was always planned.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:55 am
formerly PHLGrump

Nah. AA does that to me all the time. Flooding my inbox!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I checked in for a UA flight yesterday, and received the invitation after I checked in. It is not just A.C..
OMG! Did UA sell your house, too???
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
This drives me bananas. How hard is it? They expect us to keep track of all kinds of things, but they can't run a batch job to remove one or more names from a mailing list before sending the message? The job seems to run about T-23 hours, whereas I often OLCI at T-23:59. It used to be really unnerving, like gaslighting me into thinking "wait, I am SURE I checked in but maybe I didn't..." but now I just roll my eyes and ignore. Some day it will be a meaningful email and I'll miss it.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:06 pm

Not to get too technical as this really isn't my area but it could be a delay in their SMTP server relays. If you are near the top it takes minutes, if bottom hours.

I have zero idea if AC is sending 10,000 or 100,000 of these emails a day and really can't be bothered to do the math. But I would guess that whatever the number their hardware isn't where it should be.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
More than once I've been on a delayed flight, turned on my phone when it landed and received two or three text messages advising me of a delayed departure time, none of which were actually correct. Must be the same guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.