Easy Jet 38, British Airways Nil

Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Easy Jet 38, British Airways Nil

BA have for some years been the preferred choice of carrier for a group ski trip I know about.

Back in March the trip was organised via the usual travel agent and for the same days as every year, namely for 6 nights during the week before Christmas. Traditionally a quiet time for skiing which is why it has been planned this way for many years.

BA quoted Ł590 plus Ł55 fees and taxes per person. It had never been this high before and between the excessive fare and BOB, the group decided it was time for a change. Easy jet were approached and, inclusive of bags seats etc, the price was less than Ł200 pp.

So far, so unremarkable; commercial pressures, legacy airline versus upstarts in orange etc,

Except, yesterday I checked the fare for the same dates and times as had been originally planned. The departing flight was now Ł137 inclusive of taxes and fees. Unsurprising on a Saturday morning to a ski resort. The return on the Friday is however just Ł57.

So 7 months after trying to get Ł645 for flights BA are charging just Ł194.

The morale of the story......... I leave you to decide but seems like BA just scored 38 own goals as they passed up on a regular group booking that they are unlikely to ever get back.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
But the booking terms won’t be the same. Group bookings offer more flexibility than individual bookings. Although I see what you are saying regarding costs. But some people may have been willing to pay at the time to secure their flights. For others the choice of airport is more important than money. (Even at this level!)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by madfish
Although I see what you are saying regarding costs.
In addition, we don't know how many people in the group could have secured tickets for Ł194 round-trip. Even if the relevant booking classes showed 9, you could only expect to get 9 tickets at Ł194. Then you'd have to see what effect that had on the price of the next batch of tickets. So the saving across the group may not have been as much as (Ł645 - Ł194) x 38.
Originally Posted by binman
... a regular group booking that they are unlikely to ever get back.
Unless they find that BA is cheaper next time, in which case I bet that the group will be back to BA like a shot.

That's not to say that the price disparity this time isn't quite stark. But price is the name of the game in this market.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:25 am Reason: Remove inflammatory remark
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:29 am
Suspended

But the booking terms won’t be the same. Group bookings offer more flexibility than individual bookings.
Not necessarily, some group terms and condition is far worse than an individual O class booking...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I bet the group would only now go back if BA is cheaper than U2!
Ha! I was going to say sometimes Orange can be very addictive!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Orange is the new BlAck
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is the route and dates?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
Not necessarily, some group terms and condition is far worse than an individual O class booking...
Could you give an example? I was thinking in terms of the flexibility that group bookings provide in terms of providing the names of travelling passengers which only need to be confirmed eight weeks before departure.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Group bookings of this size go via group sales and are not impacted by general availability especially when booked far in advance. Clearly BA made a commercial decision based on their highly sophisticated yield management system, but in this case a group of elderly pensioners could have told them that flights back from ski resorts on a Friday before Christmas are usually not that busy.

Both the BA service and the Easy service are from and too the same airports. Out Saturday AM and back Friday.

Will they be back....jury is out on that one. The group hadn't moved business in the past when Easy Jet offered to undercut BA but the differential this time was incredible.

Neither carrier provides any service, both flog over priced food and both get you from A to B in 2 hours. But Easy Jet have started well, they responded with sensible fares at the time of booking ( or at least fares that seemed to be offering value for money) and the fare included bags and pre assigned seats. BA issued the quote and made no further attempt to secure the booking.

I think what will be noticeable is that the easy jet plane will be clean and new in stark contrast to the LGW BA fleet.

If I remember I will try to get a trip report from one of the group to see what they think.
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:47 am
Suspended

Could you give an example? I was thinking in terms of the flexibility that group bookings provide in terms of providing the names of travelling passengers which only need to be confirmed eight weeks before departure.
For example, cruise ship groups that is one way to join or returning from a cruise ship, depends on whether it is booked via negotiated rate between BA and the cruise ship operators or the wholesale tour operators. Yes you are right about names flexibility. I am thinking more of terms of ticket condition.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is one rather significant factor here: easyJet only gives out 6 to 9 month availability on their flights. There is a strong possibility that BA had a monopoly at the time, at least for public fares, and therefore charged top whack accordingly - or easyJet just released their fares and BA had not at that point matched easyJet. Particularly out of LGW, BA sharply adjust their fares within 48 hours of easyJet opening their booking window, and tend to keep it in step until a few weeks before departure. At that point existing loadings and a forecast heavily based on the previous year's actuals seems to start crowding out easyJet fare matching. Indeed it's a well known canard that buying flights early saves money, it rarely does, it provides confidence for those who have to travel and they tend to be prepared to pay more rather than less. On shorthaul the best time to buy tickets is about 6 to 8 weeks before departure, though there are some exceptions.

On group ticketing, each airline seems to have their own motive. For BA at least you won't save much if any money, but what you get is the ability to fix the current market fare but change the names of the travellers and/or slightly change the number of travellers. If the current market fare is high, well you can see what happened.

Now for this particular time window easyJet released their fares on 23 March 2017. BA should have been matching approx 25 March. Again it depends on the route and the precise date of booking, but I suspect that had the booking been made later on, market forces would have led to lower fares on both airlines.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the booking terms won’t be the same. Group bookings offer more flexibility than individual bookings.
If the flexibility isn't necessary to the group, then BA are selling the wrong product.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Both the BA service and the Easy service are from and too the same airports. Out Saturday AM and back Friday.

Why not tell us which route it is and dates? With more info we might be able to give you reasons for the price difference.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Both the BA service and the Easy service are from and too the same airports.

Neither carrier provides any service, both flog over priced food and both get you from A to B in 2 hours. But Easy Jet have started well, they responded with sensible fares at the time of booking ( or at least fares that seemed to be offering value for money) and the fare included bags and pre assigned seats. BA issued the quote and made no further attempt to secure the booking.

I think what will be noticeable is that the easy jet plane will be clean and new in stark contrast to the LGW BA fleet.

If I remember I will try to get a trip report from one of the group to see what they think.
Yes ... a TR would be interesting - especially as they have been BA loyalists so far.

As you say, no onboard 'service' from either of the two carriers, and so given the huge differential in quotes the decision to go with easyjet was pretty much a no-brainer.

The only potential deal-breaker could have been the matter of departure airports and preference among the group members - but in this case even that wasn't a factor (and, I imagine, with that sort of price gap, wouldn't have been enough to swing it back to BA anyway)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.