Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager

Hi everyone, I work as a Corporate Travel Agent and we just received the following from BA, effective immediately:

British Airways are removing the Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for baggage on all new bookings.

This means the generous baggage allowance will no longer automatically apply to all legs of a journey for bookings made on or after 18 October.

For example, if you travelled out in economy and back in Club, you would have previously received an allowance of 2 x 32kg for both legs.

You will now receive 1 x 23kg out and then 2 x 32kg on the way back.

Existing bookings will retain the MGA, even if they are subsequently changed.

Couldn’t see it on here so hope that helps!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:15 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I guess you meant 2017 in the title.
Not sure to understand the reasoning behind this, this seems to me a petty move to remove a fringe benefit, like the non interlining of luggage.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's also on the speedbirdclub site https://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/all...oct/mgaemoval/

Removal of the Most Generous Baggage Allowance Policy

17 Oct, 2017

Today, when a customer is travelling on a return or stopover journey in mixed cabins, the Most Generous Allowance (MGA) applies for baggage ie. a customer travelling outbound in World Traveller, but returning in Club World would receive the Club World baggage allowance on both sectors.

Effective from 18 October 2017 British Airways is removing the Most Generous Baggage Allowance.

For new bookings the customer will receive the baggage allowance applicable to the cabin they are flying in on a return/stopover journey.

Examples:

Code:
JOURNEY	ROUTE	CABIN	MGA APPLIED TODAY	MGA REMOVED - 18 OCT 2017
Return	
LGW - BGI	World Traveller	2x32 kg bags	1x23 kg bags
BGI - LGW	Club World	2x32 kg bags	2x32 kg bags

Stopover	
EDI - LGW	Euro Traveller	2x32 kg bags	1x23 kg bags
LGW - BGI	Club World	2x32 kg bags	2x32 kg bags
The most significant international operating carrier (MSIOC) rule will still apply on a single journey component involving a connection (less than 24 hours).

Example:
CPH-DXB: if Club Europe is booked on the CPH-LON sector and World Traveller on the LON-DXB sector, the World Traveller baggage allowance would apply.

If the connection is outside 24 hours this is classed as a stopover journey and the ticketed allowance for each sector would apply.

Summary of changes

NEW BOOKING
The change will impact all new bookings made on/ after 18th October 2017
  • All BA flights (short haul and long haul)
  • All BA branded bookings (BA, City Flyer, Openskies, Comair, Sunair)
  • No change to interline rules.
  • Airport upgrades on/after 18th October 2017

EXISTING BOOKING
The change will NOT impact existing bookings made prior to 18th October 2017
  • MGA will be retained on all existing bookings.
  • Voluntary / involuntary changes made to these existing bookings will retain MGA.
  • MGA will be retained on bookings where a customer has purchased a ‘proactive online upgrade’ prior to 18th October 2017.
  • Charges for extra baggage

Your customers can take more bags than their allowance, which are charged per bag up to a total of 10 per person, including their allowance.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I imagine this might have something to do with the ability to have a return formed of a basic fare in one direction and a plus fare in the other in the future?
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Given the current trajectory of BA, not really a surprise. Pity none the less. I wonder how long the 32kg allowance will last now.
lhrpete and bafan like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by KARFA
It's also on the speedbirdclub site https://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/all...oct/mgaemoval/
I noticed the part about stopovers - that seems particularly miserly, especially when it's nearly always going to be on a through fare. At least CE is on Domestics now, so hopefully there won't be too many instances of the example given EDI-O/LGW-BGI.

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
I imagine this might have something to do with the ability to have a return formed of a basic fare in one direction and a plus fare in the other in the future?
Possibly, or it's a handy reason/excuse.

Disappointing. I've found this useful in the past.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

Can I save us all a little time?

"This isn't cost cutting just because of cost cutting, there's clearly an operational cost associated with it we can't see"
"BA are profitable so clearly know what they are doing"
"This will only affect a small number of people so it doesn't matter"
"If you don't like it - fly someone else"

Have I missed any of the obvious retorts that are going to be made?

Short summary:

It's a rubbish decision. It's clearly just because BA want to extract additional revenue out of people and it's a poor customer choice.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Cheapskates.
puqui99 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:57 pm

For those of us that have no choice but to connect using a domestic connection this is a very bad move on BA’s part.

booking a WTP flight gives 2 23kg bags...but now the domestic economy connection will mean in reality my luggage allowance is only 1 23kg bag!!

that, coupled with BOB and ever increasing costs and lowering of quality...I will simply now go for the cheapest option from EDI or GLA.

BA have hit their final nail for those of us who don’t live near LHR or LGW...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA

I noticed the part about stopovers - that seems particularly miserly, especially when it's nearly always going to be on a through fare. At least CE is on Domestics now, so hopefully there won't be too many instances of the example given EDI-O/LGW-BGI.
I would guess - and this is purely a guess - that the stopover wording is incorrect.

Let's take the example of an itinerary: EDI-LON in J, stopover, LON-NYC in F.

My guess is that:

- if it's a single fare component i.e. EDI-NYC F fare which allows stopovers, then it's still an F fare for both sectors so you get F ticketed bag allowance for both.

- if it's two fare components, i.e. an EDI-LON J fare plus NYC-EDI F fare, then you get two different allowances.

Does anyone else think that might be the case? Otherwise it seems to me a bit silly to sell through fares which allow stopovers.

[Edit: On reflection, I think my guess is wrong, but I'll leave it here for reference anyway.]

Last edited by Ldnn1; Oct 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by liviboy
For those of us that have no choice but to connect using a domestic connection this is a very bad move on BA’s part.

booking a WTP flight gives 2 23kg bags...but now the domestic economy connection will mean in reality my luggage allowance is only 1 23kg bag!!
If it's a through fare and less than 24h connection then you'll still get the WTP allowance.

The issue only arises where you have stopovers and/or different fare components.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
If it's a through fare and less than 24h connection then you'll still get the WTP allowance.

The issue only arises where you have stopovers and/or different fare components.
Ah so this would only affect me if I was outbound W but return Y? Where previously I’d have 2 bags both outbound and inbound, I’ll now have 2 out but 1 on the return?

That’s as equally as annoying as many times the price difference between Y and W is too high to justify paying it for the limited benefits, particularly on day flights.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by liviboy
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't know how fare component gets translated into ticketed baggage allowance. If it does, then this would reduce the number of people affected when doing EDI-LGW//LGW-BGI on a WT+ fare component, even with the stopover, because it would usually be one WT+ fare component for EDI-BGI.

The other thing that will reduce the number of people affected is that if doing EDI-LGW-BGI without a stopover, then the MSC rule which is referred to will generally tend to confer the WT+ allowance on the short-haul sector, as it seems to me that the long-haul sector will almost always be the governing sector for the MSC rule.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:18 pm

On reflection, I think my fare component supposition above is wrong, and that people will indeed get shafted on a stopover itinerary even if on the same fare component.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Honestly while we are at it we can suggest the following:
- introducing buy on board for longhaul in Y with a great selection of M&S food
- hand luggage only on Y longhaul
- pay for blanket, toothpaste and eyeshade
- pay for IFE
- pay for flight attendant service
- pay for toilet
- etc.

you know customers have asked for it. They value choice and all that crap!

happy i booked AF gain to JNB tomorrow instead of BA even if they were more expensive. I don't like expensive budget airlines!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.